The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Control dissipate blasterfire...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Control dissipate blasterfire... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did he wear armor?? WE did not see him in any armor for any of his on screen time, or are you on about the novels/cartoon?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
[
As for the topic of changing Absorb/Dissipate, well, I do kind of like the scaling effect idea, though I don't think the difficulty to activate the power against energy at the level of a blaster bolt should be reduced at all... if anything I'd make it harder Wink

I can see using the power with a set difficulty, as it is now, and incorporating a degree of protection based on how much above the difficulty you rolled. I'm just going to use some arbitrary difficulties/degrees in this example/chart to demonstrate -

Difficulty to absorb a blaster bolt, Moderate (let's say 15).
Roll beats difficulty by - Benefit/Protection
0-5 - +1D to resist damage
6-10 - +2D
10-15 - +3D
15-20 - +4D
20-25 - +5D
+5 - +1D

So, let's say our Jedi hero (Str 2D+1, Control 4D) gets shot with a blaster rifle (5D) and tries to Absorb/Dissipate the shot. They roll their Control and gets a rather nice roll, 22. That means they've hit the difficulty (15) and beat it by 7. The Jedi then can absorb some of the blaster's energy, adding +2D to their resistance. The blaster rifle deals 18 damage and the Jedi rolls their augmented resistance, 4D+1 and rolls a 17, leaving a difference of 1; the Jedi is stunned.

Basically, if the Jedi can't meet the minimum level of difficulty (Moderate), they simply are overcome by the sudden influx of energy and can't summon the Force to their aide, but if they manage to center themselves inthe Force enough, despite the intense distraction of sudden physical trauma, they gain some benefit.

This is very much what I was talking about. The only thing that worries me is that the power will get to powerful when combined with a high STR score. Thats why I wanted to keep the bonus low. Ill playtest it at first opportunity and see how it works (as I have one (physicallY) 'weak' and one 'strong' jedi)
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the protection ranges are completely pulled out of thin air without consideration for actual game implementation... just used to provide a concrete example. A Pip based increase, rather than a die based increase... or even an exponential type of roll range increase 0-5, 6-15, 16-30, etc. rather than a simple +5 difficulty range to difficulty range would also mean that you would require more and more Force ability to gain additional protection; it's easy to get a little protection, but beyond heroic to get decent protection Smile

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Yeah, the protection ranges are completely pulled out of thin air without consideration for actual game implementation... just used to provide a concrete example. A Pip based increase, rather than a die based increase... or even an exponential type of roll range increase 0-5, 6-15, 16-30, etc. rather than a simple +5 difficulty range to difficulty range would also mean that you would require more and more Force ability to gain additional protection; it's easy to get a little protection, but beyond heroic to get decent protection Smile

My main concerns are actually in the lower range. In the higher ranges we are talking about Vader and Palpie and the like. If they can suck up blaster fire like theres no tomorrow is of no big concern.

For example if you can quite easy get a +2D bonus, this will help the 2D STR jedi, but will make the 4D STR jedi almost invulnerable to 'normal' blaster shots (ie up to 5D). I think Im going to keep my original idea. The power stays as in the RAW with the following addition. If the jedi manages to roll at least half the target number needed to completely dissipate the energy he/she recieves his/her number of dice used of Control to activate the power number of 'pip' as a bonus to his/her STR roll to resist damage. Ie, if the jedi rolled 5D trying to activate this power, needing to roll a whopping 28 to completely dissipate a blaser shot dealing 14 in damage, he/she needs to roll at least 14 to recieve a +5 bonus to STR while resisting damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: