The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

I'm taking requests! (Also includes image archive)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> I'm taking requests! (Also includes image archive) Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: I'm taking requests! (Also includes image archive) Reply with quote

So I've gotten pretty good at - well, not so much making art as taking art and modifying it suit my needs - with Photoshop.

I enjoy making these Star Wars-themed pictures so much that I want to extend an offer to the wonderful Rancor Pit community and offer to produce artwork for characters and NPCs. Some guidelines:

-I'm not an artist, I'm more of an editor when it comes to what I make so I need something to build upon, this means finding a character to use as a base and tweaking little things to make it fit.

-While I do have a fairly large archive of images, it's not comprehensive, so the more of the legwork that you do, the better the final image will be.

-I'm not a magician, that means that composites that I do have to be of similar quality and art, I can work with most things but some art styles just won't work well together.

The upside to this is that I can produce things usually with only a couple of hours of work, provided that I have adequate resources. Some good places to pull artwork from are Wookieepedia, SWAG, and Deviant Art (May the Force be with you on that one). There's also the good old-fashioned Google Image Search.

Request an image here, and I'll let you know if I take it on.

Let me make you a picture!

Last edited by hazardchris on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:42 am; edited 5 times in total
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some images that I've made already, I'll do my best to keep this list up-to-date.
Feel free to use any of these in your games.

Rodian Jedi

An Admiral

Teenage Female Mechanic

Three Sith Lords

An Alcoholic Pilot

A Tusken Mandalorian

Rodian Jedi Knight

A Rebel Gunslinger (This was my first attempt at using a real photo to produce something.)

A Request that I found on these very forums.

A one-armed Zabrak Jedi

Your standard human Jedi

A Sith version of the previous character

A SpecOps infiltrator

Twi'lek Gambler

Twi'lek Infiltrator

Female Human Spacer

Female Rodian Scout

Valin Draco, the main antagonist from the Dawn of Defiance campaign. Original can be found here.

Jedi Hermit

A human male. This picture was actually just me seeing if I could remove a lightsaber blade from an image.

Twi'lek female

Rodian Jedi Knight

Sith Female

Rebel Alliance General

Group Image. A human gunslinger, a female mon cal pilot, a quarren soldier, and a human jedi.

Male Human - Could be a Smuggler, Imperial Agent, Crime Lord, anything you want. Bonus: Jedi Variant. <- new

Completed Requests

Warhammer 40k Stormtrooper, Rasta Wookiee, Space Dwarf - ZzaphodD

Custom Race: Kentauroi - Whill

Reformed Dark Jedi - Raven Redstar

Female Smuggler (I think) - Reaper63

Last edited by hazardchris on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:27 pm; edited 33 times in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you consider not-fully-humanoid alien characters?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Would you consider not-fully-humanoid alien characters?

Sure.

Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's my dilema. I wanted to make horse-like alien species. Just have some equine facial characteristics instead of just an outright horse head on a humanoid body. Then I thought it would be even cooler to make a centaur-like alien species. So I thought I would start with this WotC image from Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
of the Svivreni species:

Here's my idea. The new species is biologically-related to Svivreni (but they are believed to have diverged due to ancient experiments with genetic engineering - thus the different number of legs).

Sivreni are small creatures anyway, but imagine the above guy to be the size of a fantasy dwarf (he is kinda stocky). For my new species, imagine that dwarf-sized torso on the body of a pony. You'd have a smaller centaur-like being, about the same height as an average human. But unlike a centaur and more like a horse, they have the short-hair fur that horses have over their whole body (and long hair on a few parts). The bottom-half matches the top-half in coloration (but for diversity, they can have all Earth-horse coloration possiblitlies). What I mean is, they don't just have the horse-hair up to their waist where suddenly it changes appearance like with centaurs (where it turns to human skin).

Here is a pic of a centaur just for visualization - I don't think this particular pic would work for the body (but maybe you'll prove me wrong).

And this is sci-fi not fantasy, so I didn't want any bows, spears, swords, or any Earth weapons of any kind. (Most of the images of centaurs I've googled have weapons in their hands). My new species is not a primitive species.

I would like the image of the new species to be in color for the alien species write-up, but then I could greyscale and maybe also mirror the same image and also use it for a PC template. The current character type I had planned for the template was an introverted explorer that likes tinkering with gadgets and technolgy instead of interacting with others. The non-equinoid Svivreni at the top of this post has some tools and tech on him so it goes with the part, but I could even change the template to go with the picture if I needed to. My first choice would be for the species to wear pants over their whole horse body, but I'll even give that up to get this picture. Wookiees and didn't need pants, right?

I named the new species Kentauroi (singular: Kentaur). I'm not even going to share my horrible attempts to make this picture myself. Help me, hazardchris. You're my only hope!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm, I have some ideas...it might not actually be impossible. It might take me a couple of days (I just got Mass Effect 2 and don't have to work tomorrow so, you know, I'll be preoccupied) but I should have an early version by Friday at the latest.

Luckily there's folks who dig this whole "furry" thing so there's bound to be some disturbing anamorphic horse art out there....I have a bad feeling about this...

Still, it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill, what about the Sludir species?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sludir

Maybe just retool them a little bit towards a more equine rather than reptilian appearance?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And this is sci-fi not fantasy, so I didn't want any bows, spears, swords, or any Earth weapons of any kind. (Most of the images of centaurs I've googled have weapons in their hands). My new species is not a primitive species.

While you are looking for this to be a technologically astute species, there still are 'fantasy' type weapons in use in this genre. If your species uses blades (whether knives, swords, or whatever), perhaps they might use something like this.

That way they get the benefit of using a melee weapon that might play to their strength (which I'm assuming at this point, as I've not seen any template for one) while having it not look like an antique.

*shrugs* Just sayin. Wink
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks hazardchris. I hope you enjoy your day off and your new game.

Rerun941 wrote:
Whill, what about the Sludir species?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sludir

Maybe just retool them a little bit towards a more equine rather than reptilian appearance?

I've looked at the available images for them and there is really nothing useful. The body and legs are nothing like horses. There are no copy-and-past opportunities available, so "re-tooling" would be the same as free-form drawing horse body and legs, which I can't do or I wouldn't have posted this request here. I doubt that would help hazardchris either, but maybe I'm wrong.

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Quote:

While you are looking for this to be a technologically astute species, there still are 'fantasy' type weapons in use in this genre. If your species uses blades (whether knives, swords, or whatever), perhaps they might use something like this.

That way they get the benefit of using a melee weapon that might play to their strength (which I'm assuming at this point, as I've not seen any template for one) while having it not look like an antique.

*shrugs* Just sayin. Wink

Even though there are some conventional melee weapons in Star Wars movies that do not involve completely primitive species, I still avoid them in my game in general.

But even more importantly, this species is a peaceful species with no warrior culture at all. This will be my "first impression" image for the species as it may be the only complete image I will ever have to show to players for reference. It just doesn't make sense for there to be any weapons in the pic.

Those are some cool-looking blades there in your image, but I was referring to all the centaur pictures out that have Earth/Fantasy weapons. Most of the time it is bow and arrows, but I have also seen spears. I was talking about editing the weapons out completely, not editing in cooler ones to replace the ones that might already be there.

I appreciate the responses, guys! Thank you.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah.

The fact that they've no warrior culture at all would explain the lack of weaponry.

Will their lack of warrior culture be something that's "from time immemorial?" Or will it perhaps be more like Vulcans, where their past was so bloody they took steps to make sure it never happened again by mastering their emotions?

I think you'll need to come up with a good explanation for how a sapient species comes out into the galaxy with NO warrior culture whatsoever. While they might be a pacifistic species in general, there are always times when violence becomes imminent. (As evidenced by Bail Organa, coming from a pacifistic culture, still made sure his daughter was trained in all sorts of combat and strategy in addition to diplomacy). Sometimes you just have to cross that line.

I'm very interested to see how you do with this species when it's all done.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in great need for a 'cross-over' Stromtrooper / 40K Terminator. I made rules for these years ago, and even drew something (crappy) as an illustration. They were a an elite force almost only used by the Inquisitors to apprehend Jedis and their 'support' troops (ie high power PC:s), which would make short order of 'normal' stormtroopers. This was also a field-test for these troops. In general they have the bulk of 40K terminators, with weapons that has been 'Star Washed' (ie no bolters but instead blasters, no chain swords but force swords (vibro blade with a force charge a la force pikes)).

Heres the actual Terminator

Heres my design via a browser designer tool. The armour would need to be stormtrooper-ified with the familiar helmet, and removal of the icons on the chest and shoulderpad. If its possible to some kind of 'really' heavy double barreled blaster pistol in the right hand it would be perfect..

Heres a Stormtrooper pic, not that you need I guess... Wink

Is this something you might work with?

Last edited by ZzaphodD on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Ah.

The fact that they've no warrior culture at all would explain the lack of weaponry.

Will their lack of warrior culture be something that's "from time immemorial?" Or will it perhaps be more like Vulcans, where their past was so bloody they took steps to make sure it never happened again by mastering their emotions?

I think you'll need to come up with a good explanation for how a sapient species comes out into the galaxy with NO warrior culture whatsoever. While they might be a pacifistic species in general, there are always times when violence becomes imminent. (As evidenced by Bail Organa, coming from a pacifistic culture, still made sure his daughter was trained in all sorts of combat and strategy in addition to diplomacy). Sometimes you just have to cross that line.

I'm very interested to see how you do with this species when it's all done.

Thanks for your interest, Skyler! Yes, the Kentauroi species has a very tragic past.

A long time ago, they shared their beautiful native planet with another sentient species called the Verinex (based on the Verpine, but also with 6 limbs, to be more insect-like). The races came into conflict with each other in a series of escalating world wars.

The Verinex discovered an advanced genetic engineering technology that allowed them to augment their naturally occuring drones through cloning, making them more intelligent and capable fighters, which gave the Verinex the upper hand. In response, the Kentauroi stole their technology and developed their own intelligent slave species, which escalated the war further. (Each of these new species had only 4 limbs instead of 6 like their masters).

Then one side, no one knows which one, took posession of a super-weapon technology. The slave war races of both sides rebelled against their masters, and the planet was completely destroyed (and perhaps others. Enough of the the four species survived for them to each propagate their respective species.

The Verpine species is believed to be the offshoot of the Verinex, and the Svivreni are believed to be the offshoot of the Kentauroi. Most of them left the system and settled other systems, usually denying any connection to their former "master" races. The original two races still inhabit the system, which is now mostly a gigantic asteroid field distantly orbiting a black hole.

While still rivals, both species are basically now at peace with each other and neither has a warrior culture due to their legendary war-like natures destroying their homeworld. The system is rich with ore, so a huge asteroid mining economy has sprung up. Colonies of several other species have been estalished here as well.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Im in great need for a 'cross-over' Stromtrooper / 40K Terminator.

Have you looked into the Dark Trooper imagery? Some of that might be suitable.

I'm not sure if these links work as I can't see image files from my work connection but they're all on the wookieepedia Dark Trooper page if they don't.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Im in great need for a 'cross-over' Stromtrooper / 40K Terminator.

Have you looked into the Dark Trooper imagery? Some of that might be suitable.

I'm not sure if these links work as I can't see image files from my work connection but they're all on the wookieepedia Dark Trooper page if they don't.

The Dark Troopers dont really fit the bill, those were my first idea..

I have edited my post above, by linking to pictures I uploaded on a site.

Last edited by ZzaphodD on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD: So you just want me to take the 40k Terminator and Stormtrooper him up? By this I mean add in Star Wars blasters, whitewash the armor, throw in an Imperial logo or two in there, and then add in the iconic helmet of course.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: