The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Combat Sequence-Initiative house rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Combat Sequence-Initiative house rule
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Combat Sequence-Initiative house rule Reply with quote

We had a problem with players blurting out what they wanted to do and trying to resolve actions. Finally, one day my GM came up with this system and I thought I'd share. The stuff in italics are my own thoughts/possible tweaks.

Combat Sequence:
Roll Initiative (Perception) this roll is effective for the entire combat sequence. (New skill: Initiative/Awareness/Alertness/Combat Sense?) and/or add sense dice with the use of a Jedi power?

Characters starting with the character with the lowest Initiative declare the number of actions they will take and if one will be a reaction, and then name their first action.
Continue until all characters have declared their first action.
Roll the skill check for the first actions.
All actions occur from the highest roll to the lowest.
Repeat until all characters have completed their first action.

Characters starting with the character with the lowest Initiative declare their second action.
Continue until all characters have declared their second action.
Roll the skill check for the second actions.
Repeat until all characters have completed their second action, etc.

Note: If a character has an action remaining, he may use it as a reaction skill. Otherwise, he must take an addition –1D penalty to all remaining actions. The player/GM must declare the reaction after he is being attacked but before the attack roll is made. All remaining actions suffer the –1D penalty, too.

There ya go!
Just thought I'd share
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When entering a combat situation, I make mine roll a 1d20 for initiative.

I do the same for any NPC's. If there are ALOT of players and NPC's I'll sometimes just group them together and do fewer rolls for initiative.

The lowest result on the 1d20 goes first. Then I call out for number 2, 3 and so on. If there is a tie, we do a tie breaker roll to determine the initiative between that.

I let the players have one movement and one attack roll in a combat round. Anything else, be it reactionary or an additional attack, gets a penalty added to it. I simply make the penalty so severe that they can't usually do more than 2 or 3 things with any chance of success.

They can hold an attack or a movement back for reaction purposes if they wish, but they must call that at the time their turn comes up. Then I let them hold it as an interupt they can use at any time after their turn comes up.

It's always worked well and I've never had any issues arise because of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: