The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Help me with my next session, Rancor Pit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> Help me with my next session, Rancor Pit!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Solo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Help me with my next session, Rancor Pit! Reply with quote

You're my only hope!

Seriously, though, thanks to my players have shown a willingness to ignore the obvious plot and go off on their own, I've decided that in the second session, I need to be able to have plenty of plot hooks for them in case they decide not to try to collect the money owed them.

The scenario: PCs #1 and #2 were hired by an NPC to take PC #3 and a Jedi holocron to the planet Garfo in order to keep them out of the hands of the Icbint Empire (this takes place an "alternate era" in order to get away from any bits of EU I find inconvenient). Once they reach the planet, however, they find out that the king, who was supposed to take the Jedi PC and her holocron into safety and pay them the rest of the money owed them, has died shortly before their arrival. The obvious plot is for them to get an audience with the crown prince and see if he can pay them (he can, but has another mission for them to prove that they were sent by who they say they were), but I'll need alternate ways to move the plot along in case they either don't come up with that or decide it's too much bother.

Things I've come up with and rejected already:

The Empire comes after the Jedi and her holocron: although they are after both items, it seems too soon for them to be catching up to them already. Also, last session was all fighting the Empire, so I want to take a break from that for a while.

The other two PCs are a smuggler and a bounty hunter, but since Garfo is roughly the Alderaan or Naboo equivalent for this campaign, a heavy criminal element seems out of place.

I look forward to whatever suggestions you may have!
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the king's court had a dark sorcerer working for him. Well, he was dark, but no one else knew about it. He sends some of his cronies to go after the party. To capture the Jedi, and the holocron for himself, or herself. The Dark sorcerer could also be responsible for the king's death. Hoping that an inexperienced heir would make more use of him, giving him a rise in power, perhaps enough to overthrow?

I dunno, sounds kinda fantasy, but make the dark sorcerer a low level dark side adept.
Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dark side adept could be using minor force tricks into making everyone think he was just a charlatan to make his work easier?
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me with my next session, Rancor Pit! Reply with quote

Dan Solo wrote:
my players have shown a willingness to ignore the obvious plot and go off on their own

The never-ending problem with the players and obviousness Mad . I propose that GMs should play together and players in their own group. This way, everyone will be happy Wink

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Just out of curiosity, what did they end up doing instead of the obvious plot?

...Even on "good" planets like Alderaan or Naboo, there is a place for Law Enforcement & Military presence of some sort (& don't forget they spawned two individuals that became Sith--Ulic Qel-droma & Palpatine). Perhaps there is a shadpw element/secret society on planet that's up to no good--perhaps plotting an overthrow with some outside interference?! A bit too cliche' I'll admit, but a possibility.
Dan Solo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:
...Just out of curiosity, what did they end up doing instead of the obvious plot?

Mostly, two of the players decided to negotiate with the hostile Imperial soldiers invading the planet... and when that didn't work, they decided to hop into the smuggler's spaceship and take off, despite having yet to meet the Jedi PC yet (I decided to run the first session as two parallel adventures, ending with the PCs meeting up).

Also, thanks everyone for your ideas. Although it's not quite what I was looking for, it's still useful for ideas for investigating the foul play surrounding the king's death.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

I think what you need to do is find out what the PCs are interested in/care about and use that to motivate them to go into the right direction.

You should really expect the PCs to follow the "obvious plot" because it is obvious, you need to get them to want to follow the obvious plot.

Once you know what motivates them, you can use it to help nudge them in the right direction.

What it looks like is happening is that the Jedi has a reason for getting involved in the main story (keep the holocron out of the hands of the bad guys), but the other two characters don't have any "in game" reason to do so. You've got to come up with a reason for them to do so.

Possilbe Reason #1: They are wanted by the Imperial for consiring to help the Jedi PC escape. When did they do this? When they smuggled him off world aboard their freighter!

Talk to the Jedi PC and explain that he had to get off world to avoid the Imperials, and that he snuck aboard a non-descript freighter (the other PCs ship) shortly before it left planet.

The Jedi can come out of his hiding place once the ship enters hyperspace and he is safely off world. He can try to explain the importance of his mission, and that the Imperials will no doubt blame the smugglers for helping him escape. Oh, and the credits that the Jedi can get for them for their help wouldn't hurt.

You could even say that the meeting between the Prince and the Jedi too place "off screen" and simply move into the next part of the adventure.
Dan Solo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, that session got ran last night, and the players pretty much decided to go with "solve the murder of the king so that we can get payed (somehow)." This meant that most of the session was spent going around capital city following false leads, but finding enough information to get the attention of a Lieutenant of the Guard, who once he learned that they'd been sent by Obi-Kaybe was able to arrange a meeting with the Crown Prince. They got payed, but were sent on another mission since Garfo is no longer safe due to Imperial activity (the non-Jedi players actually got tricked into a trap by an Imperial agent, but they don't actually know that's who he works for, thinking the trap was set up by "court mystic" Zang Lih).
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your smuggler have a debt for his freighter?

The standard template comes with a 25,000 credit debt to a crime lord or a loan shark. That can be a story hook, non-negotiable shipment to negate a late payment that the player may or may not have known about. Those pesky crime bosses change due dates and whatnot without notice all the time. Not to mention having the players get approached by his goons to rough them up to remind them that payment is coming due soon. Possibly making them a little more desperate for a job.

I suppose it depends on what you're planning for your overall story arc. If you don't want to officially post it on the forums for fear of prying eyes, you can PM me on the forums, I'll be happy to brainstorm with you.
Dan Solo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Does your smuggler have a debt for his freighter?

The standard template comes with a 25,000 credit debt to a crime lord or a loan shark. That can be a story hook, non-negotiable shipment to negate a late payment that the player may or may not have known about. Those pesky crime bosses change due dates and whatnot without notice all the time. Not to mention having the players get approached by his goons to rough them up to remind them that payment is coming due soon. Possibly making them a little more desperate for a job.

I suppose it depends on what you're planning for your overall story arc. If you don't want to officially post it on the forums for fear of prying eyes, you can PM me on the forums, I'll be happy to brainstorm with you.

I don't think any of them are on the Rancor Pit, but I do have plans for the freighter debt as a major side-plot. Much to my delight, the smuggler's player has decided to blow all his money on upgrading his ship at the end of last session (which ended at a major shadowport), leaving him with nothing to pay with when "Sarlacc's" goons come by to collect.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarlacc... Sounds ominous. Lol. You might want to send them on a little non-negotiable smuggling run, where somewhere along the way, they have to choose doing something for the greater good (furthering the plot, making things easier for them in the future.) Or, completing the cargo run, on schedule, to get Sarlacc off his back, but making subsequent missions harder. However, the greater good ends up with them on the wrong side of this crime boss.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just watched the droids episodes with the prince of tammu-zan in them. funny how this reminds me of them...

does anyone know how to say in gamorrean "you only have half of money so me only break one leg"

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Nefasius
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oink oink oink?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Solo wrote:

I don't think any of them are on the Rancor Pit, but I do have plans for the freighter debt as a major side-plot. Much to my delight, the smuggler's player has decided to blow all his money on upgrading his ship at the end of last session (which ended at a major shadowport), leaving him with nothing to pay with when "Sarlacc's" goons come by to collect.

Here's an idea that I saw used in a campaign:

On one trip the PC smuggler got a great deal and made a killing when someone overpaid for a shipment. The smuggler went to his crime boss and paid off his entire debt at once.

Then, in a bar a few days later, the smuggler got into a little trouble when he "tried to pay for a drink with counterfeit credits". Shortly the PC realized that the "too good to be true" deal he got, was indeed too good to be true, and that he had just payed off his 25,000 credit debt, in counterfeit credits! Shocked

I couldn't stop laughing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: