The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How many uses out of a ton of bacta??
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> How many uses out of a ton of bacta?? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of this:

1) It is possible (even likely) that a bacta tank is not filled to the brim, to prevent overflow.

2) Assuming we work out how much bacta is in the tank, we still don't know how many uses/patients one tank full could treat. It seems likely that they would have to replace the bacta after a certain amount of uses and/or time. Just what that might be? Who knows.

But...
If we assume that bacta is at least as good as a medpac, and a medpac masses 1kg, we could assume that 1 ton of bacta is equal to 1,000 medpacs, and that it could heal 1000 wound levels.

But, as others have said, it's all speculation.

Oh, and it does look like the price of bacta went up since the tanks were first listed in the SW Sourcebook. I doubt the 3000 Cr. price is correct.

If it helps,
D20 Star Star Wars (orginal and SAGA) lists Bacta tanks at 100,000 Credits and a mass of 500kg. Bacta fluid is listed at 100 Credits per 2kg (although 100credits/kg is listed on the SAGA commodities table-maybe that is before it is mixed with other fluids?). It takes 500 kg of fluid to fill the tank.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:

I'd personally say (purely guessing on this, but those would be my ruling if I was the GM), you'l probably use about one kilogram (1/1000 ton) of bacta per day that someone is immersed, and a few grams per day to keep it in a ready-state if nobody is in there. For the first filling I suggest 30 kg of Bacta (3/100 ton) and the rest is the synthetic liquid.

If the patients are close enough in physiology (say a human and a Twi'lek) you don't need to change the fluid (just filter and sanitize it, sacrificing another 5 kilos). If you put in someone with a different physiology (say a Verpine), you need to pump the tank empty, usually store the activated Bacta in a safe place and fill the now empty tank with a new solution (costing you 30 kilograms again).

Overview:

First filling: 30 kg
Patient inside: 1 kg/day
No Patient inside: negligible, maybe a kilo per month
Cleaning after patient: 5 kg (if similar physiology, otherwise refill)

So, given the above cost of 10 Cr / kilo the cost is as follows:
First filling: 300 Cr
Treating patient: 10 Cr/day
Tank not in use: 10 Cr / month.
Filtering after patient: 50 Cr.
This assumes buying a ton of Bacta at bulk price.

I feel that the 'wonders' of a Bacta tank should come at a higher price, otherwise the running costs are cheaper than a med pack.
I assume the following:
-Bacta is usually bought in 10kg containers a 250 Cr./container. Buying in bulk (1 ton as above for example) will of course lower this price. Imperial blockade will sometimes raise this price to at least the double.
-After treating patient, it is optimal to completely refill tank. However, it can be filtered which means losing 10 kg of Bacta. However, The Rebellion can sedom afford such luxuries. Using refiltered Bacta increases the increases the difficulty of treatment one level.
-Bacta must be used 1 week after it has been mixed or its effect gradually disappear, finally risking complications.

This means:
Bacta Tank: 12000 Cr (new).
Filling/Refilling tank: 2500 Cr. (500 kg x 50 Cr./kg)
Treatment: 50 Cr. / day. 50Cr. minimum. (1 kg/day)
Filtering Bacta after treatment: 500 Cr. (10 x 50 Cr./kg)

Edit after seeing the post above:
Perhaps raising the price to 12000 Cr (new) for a Bacta Tank. 100.000 Cr. seems a bit over the top. Ill go with the Bacta price however.
Where they get 500 kg from I dont know, clearly not from volume. Perhaps Bacta is very light (lets assume its not weight belts above, Luke is suspended so presumably he doesnt float). Ill stick to 500 kg anyway, and assume anything else is just 'free' liquid..
Prices adjusted above.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, the above cost was 100 Credit/2 kg, or 50 Credits/per kilo, so you might want to multiply your prices by 5.

As far as the 500 kg goes. That is for an empty tank. The bacta costs extra and adds another 500 kg of mass.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Uh, the above cost was 100 Credit/2 kg, or 50 Credits/per kilo, so you might want to multiply your prices by 5.

As far as the 500 kg goes. That is for an empty tank. The bacta costs extra and adds another 500 kg of mass.

Heh, I see that now. 25.000 Cr for a full tank worth of bacta seems as ott as 100.000 for a bacta tank IMO.

Lets use the original ('uncut') 100 Cr./kg price, and assume its mixed 1/20, which gives a mixed price of 5 Cr kg. To adjust for this I raise the amount of bacta that is consumed during treatment to 10 kg/day (mixed). The same is done to 'refiltering'. Note that the same amount of actual unmixed Bacta is used.

This would mean:
Bacta Tank: 12000 Cr (new).
Filling/Refilling tank: 2500 Cr. (500 kg x 5 Cr./kg)
Treatment: 50 Cr. / day. 50Cr. minimum. (10 kg/day x 5 Cr/kg)
Filtering Bacta after treatment: 500 Cr. (100 x 5 Cr./kg)

Note that during treatment only actual Bacta is consumed, but I dont want to have both unmixed and mixed Bacta in the cost formula.

Regarding the weight, I was talking about the 500 kg of Bacta weight. The total weight of the unit should then be 1 ton when filled.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Regarding the weight, I was talking about the 500 kg of Bacta weight. The total weight of the unit should then be 1 ton when filled.

Maybe more. As has been mentioned before, bacta is mixed with other fluids. So the 500 kg of bacta could have another 500kg (or more) of additives to get the right mix.

We could keep the sd of 1 and use the volume to work out how much additives it takes to fill up the tank.

And/or we could assume that bacta is less dense than water and fills up the tank.

EDIT: Continued in Bacta Consumption and Replenishment.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: