The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

registration issues?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> registration issues?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: registration issues? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is a problem with registration here? Is there some human admin action required to approve registrations? Someone posted in another forum that they have tried three times this month and still can't get activated here. I'm posting this on his behalf.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue myself, but I'd assume someone would have to ok the admission of new members. Think that was just Loc when I joined. Now I'm not sure who all does it.

Wanted Poster
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loc and Scrawprin do the approvals. We were hit by bots pretty hard at one point so Loc brought this in. Try PMing either of those two.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, what orgaloth says.. .except they are both missing in actoin it would seem

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orgaloth wrote:
Loc and Scrawprin do the approvals. We were hit by bots pretty hard at one point so Loc brought this in. Try PMing either of those two.

vong wrote:
except they are both missing in actoin it would seem

Sad but true reality that spam-bots are so ever-present and persistant that forums have to resort to human registration approvals. Yeah, I bet if the admins aren't getting/responding to the new registration approval requests, then they also wouldn't be getting PMs. I don't see much moderation at this site so it does seem like we're usually on autopilot. That seems fine most of the time but it is a bummer for new people that want to join in.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the registration process is the only place this forum has had issues. It's not an issue on boards where the admins check daily or multiple times a day, but when frequency falls off, it becomes a problem... and it's not a new one. I've mediated a couple account activations from people visiting #Rancorpit on holonet (IRC), but if they're not around to respond, it still doesn't help.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there seems to be new people coming online all the time, cmdrcody and cowboy hat for example. So I don't know what's happening with your friend. Perhaps there is an alternate way of contacting Loc from the main Rancorpit site.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Orgaloth wrote:

vong wrote:
except they are both missing in actoin it would seem

Sad but true reality that spam-bots are so ever-present and persistant that forums have to resort to human registration approvals. Yeah, I bet if the admins aren't getting/responding to the new registration approval requests, then they also wouldn't be getting PMs. I don't see much moderation at this site so it does seem like we're usually on autopilot. That seems fine most of the time but it is a bummer for new people that want to join in.

And new people is always nice, especially when theres like 3 days between posts... Laughing
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys. I apologize for the delays in processing registrations lately. As mentioned, I had to implement a manual admin step to finalize registrations in order to stop the spam-bots around here, and the registrations do tend to pile up a bit when I get busy (which seems to be more and more often lately). I just processed a bunch of registrations so everything should be caught up now. I do get an email when I receive a PM here on the forums, so that's still probably the best way to contact me if there are issues. I'm looking into getting some help in processing the registrations, so hopefully it won't be as big of an issue pretty soon.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: