The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Embo's Hat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Embo's Hat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Embo's Hat Reply with quote

... from Season 2, Episode 17: Bounty Hunters of Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Gear: EMBO'S HAT
Type: Awesome Frisbee-Shield Hat
Skill: Melee parry (shield against ranged weapons) / Thrown weapons (for throwing attack)
Difficulty: Easy (to shield), Difficult (to throw)
Strength against damage: 4D+2
Thrown damage: STR + 2D
Note: When throwing, upon Wild Die of 6, you automatically retrieve the returning hat. Else, you need to roll a second Moderate Thrown Weapons skill to grab it in mid-air.

I wrote the above elsewhere online. Anyone who's seen the episode, please critique and refine it further.

Edit: Added images

Last edited by hisham on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I only think the damage is way too high. The rim of the hat doesn't seem to be actually bladed, so for it to do as much damage as a vibroblade seems excessive. I'd give it a STR+1 or STR+2 damage score, tops. The damage resistance could also be increased to 5D in my opinion.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be Str+1D, same as a club?
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'd go with the STR+1D. I was thinking that the dense armor of the hat adds somewhat to the damage of the hat being thrown.

Yeah, damage resistance of 5D makes sense if it can easily shrug off blaster pistol shots.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I suppose STR+1D is an acceptable damage rating, since it seems to be the standard for simple blunt weapons. 5D damage resistance sits right between a reinforced door and a blast door, which sounds right for a metal shield.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STR +1D seems okay to me, too.

It is possible that the "jingasa" has tech inside it to make it more effective. Maybe a repulsorliftt motor to add some oomph?

But should it have it own STR rating to resist damage or just count as head armor? Maybe STR+3D armor but for head only (and possibly only vs. attacks from above, too).
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most existing shields have their own Strength listed. So it works like the cover rules, as if you were holding a door above your head.

It shouldn't be head only, because you're supposed to duck so that the hat protects most of your body (an action performed with the melee parry roll). I thought about maybe applying a penalty to that roll to account to the fact that, since it's a hat, you're unable to look at the source of the attack at the same time that you're parrying it. But that would probably be overcomplicating matters.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Most existing shields have their own Strength listed. So it works like the cover rules, as if you were holding a door above your head.

It shouldn't be head only, because you're supposed to duck so that the hat protects most of your body (an action performed with the melee parry roll). I thought about maybe applying a penalty to that roll to account to the fact that, since it's a hat, you're unable to look at the source of the attack at the same time that you're parrying it. But that would probably be overcomplicating matters.

Yes, that would be overcomplicating matters, even if its true that having an armour that makes you not see your enemy would be rather useless. Hence Id stick to the 'hat' only protecting head and torso (while ducking down). Thats a good compromise if you want it to protect anything more than the head while not taking not seeing the enemy into consideration skill wise.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

I've got a premonition that the Jawa in the group is going to get one of these once he sees the episode.

Or that he'll modify a pit droid for combat and give it one of these on it's head.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of balancing out the awesomeness of the hat with this:

Heavy item: Anyone with a Strength of 3D+1 or below, +10 to all difficulty numbers.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm.. I don't know. It doesn't look all that heavy. Not much more than the usual load that any decent adventurer lugs around without any penalty.
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just have the hat give the character a cover bonus? if the character can make an easy difficulty roll have the hat provide 1/2 cover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: