The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Request for pdf help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Request for pdf help Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Request for pdf help Reply with quote

I know it is not Ok to post pdf files of the offcial West end Games on this forum, and so please don't!! But I am attempting to put together a pdf collection of every WEG 2nd Edition book ( I have the vast majority of 1sr edition as well), as it is so nice to print out sheets and cut out artwork, or present players with handouts etc. I prefer my hard copy books when I am reading and trying to prep a mission/campaign. Anyway I have scrounged the internet the last 2 weeks collecting all the pdfs I possibly could, and I am down to the final 8 to have them all.
I need the following

WEG40100- The S.W. Planet Collection
WEG40135- GM Screen:Revised, another huge hole
WEG40601- Imperial Double Cross

oh yeah- any of the Adventure journals in PDF would be needed too!

If you have any of these, or can point in me in the direction to find them , please shoot me a pm.

Sorry if this ruffles anyones feathers, I own about 95% of the books already and am in hot pursuit of those I am still missing, and only want these for the ease they provide in GMing the game. Hopefully by the end of the year, I will have a complete collection of both versions.

Again please dont post them on the forums, as it is not permitted. Thanks!!

and That is why you fail...

Last edited by GMgreatness on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to say, to cover this board- that the practice of downloading pdf's is not acceptable.

However, since I cannot do anything to you..... I smacked the air beside me to represent me smacking you....

There, did you feel that? Rolling Eyes
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt nothing Rolling Eyes I wholeheartily disagree, I have every right to a digital copy of any book that I own.
I own and spent my money on copies of each of the eight books I have listed and don't feel the least bit guilty about having or wanting digital copies. These books are getting older and older and more and more prone to falling apart and harder to find, some are readily common to repurchase, but others are flat out ridiculous price wise. If I own the book, I don't see the problem with looking at a pdf to save some where and tear on the actual book, and printing out planet logs, character sheets, holonews, or for that matter anything that is going to make my gaming session better. Secondly I don't always game at home, and having to carry around 70 plus books to get to any sort of information or rules questions is not happening, especially when I can do the same thing by simply bringing a laptop that I would be bringing otherwise for music and sound. Sorry, but welcome to 2010.
That having been said, I respect this forum and its rules and will adjere to those rules.
Thanks to those who pmed me.
Sorry for anyone I may have offended. I will continue to find the books I need online.

jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing. I am simply stating the 'pits policy.

I mean no offense.

PDF sharing was something of a hot topic some time ago and got us into trouble; I simply wish to avoid trouble.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Nods*

Legally the Pit has to say "No" to pdf sharing. Otherwise they're supporting Piracy.

I'm not sure they could get in trouble for supporting pdf sharing however now a days over supporting the digitized copies of WEG's books for a couple of reasons, the primary of which is that the books are no longer printed, haven't been for a while, and finding an actual book of what he's looking for may be next to impossible to find.

I know I went to a couple of the stores online that the pit suggests to find a hardcopy of the books I wanted and none of them had the ones I was looking for.

Since then I've found a digital copy of the ones that are out of print, but I honestly still haven't found a physical copy (and I've been searching for years now for some of them).
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, but I don't think you can legally claim that a pdf is ok because you can't find it.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMgreatness wrote:
I felt nothing Rolling Eyes I wholeheartily disagree, I have every right to a digital copy of any book that I own.

While it is legal to create a personal use/backup copy of media you own, it is not legal to distribute those copies. The closest legal action you can take is digitize your physical copies, not acquire copies from elsewhere. It's semantic, perhaps, but a lot of legality is and that's the way it goes.

That said, I got my digital copies of my paper books via torrent sites. I've never found digital copies of the Adventure Journals.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, I can respect the forums rules. I misunderstood and thought you couldn't post links but have seen elsewhere on the site where others have sharerd pdfs via pm, and thought it was ok. The last thing I want to do is cause the Pit any problems legal or otherwise. I don't share my files online, but obviously have gotten them online elsewhere and I won't cause anymore problem with them here. Thanks for the understanding and I better understand the 1st response and where he is coming from, and thanks for your diligence in protecting the Pit. Next time if you would make your message clearer it would help other new forum members understand the rules and where they messed up.

cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one minds having a healthy discussion about pdf file sharing, so long as it's all theory and no practice here on the pit. I'm sure that you'll find a fair few people who are in accord with your sentiments, even if they won't be posting links.

Yes, there are people here who I'm quite confident have their own books (and probably other books) in PDF form. I've looked around just for the sake of curiosity, and even half decent searching skills will get you a fair portion of what you want. (Perhaps it may take 5/8ths decent searching skills, but who is really counting?) I haven't looked for your books specifically, but anytime I've gotten curious and started looking for a WEG book, it's there. (With the exception of those Adventure Journals... no one seems to have ever made those into a PDF.)

Anyhoo... I digress. You can feel free to discuss your opinions, and your feelings about PDF sharing, but so long as you don't go so far as to post any links, no one is going to mind that you're expressing yourself.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pdf adventure journals are out there.

And it's not -too- hard to find them honestly.
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are out there. I have found well over 90 of them for both first and second edition. I have found 5 of the 8 I posted this morning with a little more searching, and hopefully will have the other three through a certain source that I wont talk about here.

Problems with books, and Rpg books especially is they get used, and no matter how well you treat them, they start to show signs of their age. I have no problem paying top dollar for my own hard copies, as I own well over 70 of them myself. But I am not going on Amzon and paying 700 bucks for a Stock Ships supplement, that is just nuts. If I can save some wear and tear on my books by using pdfs, I feel I am just protecting my investment. As i will snag up the last books I need as I find them, and if a decent priced version of Stock ships was to come on the market, meaning under 50 bucks I would pounce on it.

I dont support the people that I know who, download the lastest D&D or Saga SW book pdf just to save some money and cheat the company that produces the game out of a sale. However in the next 2 - 5 years these books for this game; D6 Star Wars, are really all closing in on or going to be 20 plus years old. Books like this don't hold up forever, they are getting harder to come by, and the price for them because of their age and being a Star Wars product is getting insane on some of the more coveted and hard to find titles. In this day and age of rampant piracy I can understand people's concerns and I can respect them as well. At this point I don't feel Weg is being cheated out of any sales and being that they or someone who bought the product from them, has recieved payment for this items from me at some point, and being that I don't use them for sharing purposes I don't have a problem with having digital copies, no matter what way I obtained them. I understand the theory behind getting copies of your own personal books, but man to get a good scan, it is going to ruin the binding of your book. We are kinda screwed both ways.

Anyway what is done is done, I will make sure to follow the Pit's policies in regards to pdfs in the future.

Though a hint where I could find those pesky Adventure Journals would be greatly appreciated j/k!!! lol

cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you'll find several people who are like-minded, GMgreatness. It is legal to scan your own books, but illegal to download scanned books of the books you already own. But really, at what point are we splitting legal hairs? It is odd that there are two means to the same end, one being legal, and the other being illegal.

Quote:

Only one thing is impossible for God: to find any sense in any copyright law on the planet.
- Mark Twain's Notebook, 1902-1903

Of course, I understand that the major issue is that someone is distributing those PDFs illegally, and you're participating by downloading them, I suppose. If only Mark Twain could have seen what they did with electronic copyright.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, just because other sites openly participate in illegal file sharing, that does not mean that we can. I personally believe that you should own the physically published books you want on PDF, but anyone could just say that they own official publications when really they don't.

Yes, it is true that if you scan your own books, it will likely damage or weaken them. That's the price of electronic immortality. So it's a matter of what is more important to you. If you want to legally own a permanent electonic copy and have all of the conveniences that provides, then you'll scan your own books. Or if you're like me, it's more important to maintain the best possible condition of the printed copies as long as possible. I'm o/c about the condition of them so all paperbacks are bagged and back-boarded with magazine-sized comic book collection-type materials.

No physical book lasts forever, but in the end, you can't take them with you. Maybe in my lifetime before my collection deteriotates too bad they will have hand-held OCR scanners that digitize the material without damaging it too much. Then I could pass down my physical collection with a legal electronic back-up to my great grandkids. Smile
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, and a good portion of the books are available online and not outrageously expensive despite their rarity. I never did get the entire 2nd edition line during the 90's. And when I was very down on my luck in the late 90's, I down-sized my collection to about half the line. Then when I recovered and decided that I wanted to re-buy the ones I had sold and track down the ones I never had to complete my collection, I began searching for them.

It took me about a year, but with only a few blanks being filled in my local Half-Price Books stores, I was able to complete my collection through eBay and Amazon.com, and I always paid less than $20 for everything, even hardbacks. I doubled my collection from half to full in one year's time. So if someone seriously wants to get books they don't have, you may not have instant gratification. But if you keep a patient watch for those things online (and periodically check your local used books stores if available in your area), you may find they will turn up here and there and not be too expensive.

So for those that want books they don't have at all, there are alternatives to illlegal downloading.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praxian wrote:
The pdf adventure journals are out there.

And it's not -too- hard to find them honestly.

I've seen several people who have posted the stories from the adventure journals, but I've never seen an in-tact version of an adventure journal online. (Minus 16 and 17 which were unpublished.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: