The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Countermeasures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Countermeasures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Countermeasures Reply with quote

Does anybody have info on countermeasures against proton torpedoes and/or concussion missiles?

>-q=p---
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officially? Not getting hit.

Unofficially? Give me a little bit of time, and I'll come up with something.

*Thinks* Wait, the A-Wing has it's Sensor Jammer device, but that works against all Starfighter scale targeting systems.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certain that someone could come up with a few house rules revolving around noisemakers or sensor shadows that could confuse missile weapons. Something I have always wondered about is whether it would be possible to make a very short microjump of just a few kilometers to get away from a homing projectile. Perhaps the hyperdrive motivator would sustain damage in such a situation, but it could handle several such jumps before failing entirely.

Just a thought.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone may already have done that. CIWS Anti-Missile System from Commander Skywalker’s Star Wars RPG Post. I've never been able to tell if the stuff this guy has on his site is homebrew, offical stats, or a mix of both. Anyway, the CIWS looks like it may have been a homebrew based on the real world CIWS that is something you'd put on freighters or cap ships rather than fighters.

Wanted Poster
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ep. II Obi-wan jettisoned the spare parts from his fighter to confuse a concussion missive from Slave I. I seem to recall it working, though I admit Ep. II is my least favorite (and therefore least watched) of the movies.

There are several types of countermeasures that one could use...

- Debris
- "Noisemakers"
- Heat sources
- Dummies or buoys
- Sensor shadows
- Jamming of the navigation system aboard the missile
- Onboard camouflage of some kind
- The force
- Specific maneuvers designed to confuse the missile AI
- Small but precisely aimed laser cannons
- Minature gravity wells (the missile thinks it has struck and detonates)
- Deflector shield projectors
- Etc.

Any of this, with a little thought, could be implemented on a starfighter to capital ship scale.

I have often wondered why there is a lack of automation in space combat in the Star Wars universe. Automated laser cannons (and the like) make sense, but I haven't seen anything like that yet.
MA-3PO
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the rules, torps and missiles hit in the same round they were fired just like lasers right? Would doing something like lauching countermeasures or spare parts be a reflex action?
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or an automated one when the sensors register a missile lock.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MA-3PO wrote:
According to the rules, torps and missiles hit in the same round they were fired just like lasers right? Would doing something like lauching countermeasures or spare parts be a reflex action?

I think I personally would have to throw out that rule in favor of different speeds on different warheads. It makes no sense that a rocket is as fast as a laser bolt.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly from other sources, proton torps and concussion missiles have like a five to a fifteen second timer on them to make it more idfficult for them to lock onto a friendly target if something should go wrong with their systems. If a round lasts only five seconds, then a five second fuse would go off that round.

Wanted Poster
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case I would say it depends on the missile. If ALL proton torpedoes and other warheads worked like that, perhaps...but I doubt anything other than military-grade munitions would have that as their default setting, simply because friendly fire in a one-on-one situation is probably not a large concern.

The missile Jango fired at Obi-wan in Ep. II didn't have a fuse.

I would say there there are several types of missile programming...stasis, fuse, homing, motion-tracking, remote detonation, and so on. It would depend on the projectile, I think.

Anyone else ever play TIE Fighter or X-wing?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both and the demo for X-wing vs TIE Fighter. X-wing's controls actually made it harder than TIE Fighter as I found the controls in TIE Fighter a bit more simplified, making it easier to get through a mission and causing me to miss the challenge X-wing gave. But the missiles and torps never remained active very long compared with the rockets you could launch. Though if you were good you could target the projectiles then destroy them before they could hurt you.

Wanted Poster
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would say there there are several types of missile programming...stasis, fuse, homing, motion-tracking, remote detonation, and so on. It would depend on the projectile, I think.
In a novel (I can't remenber wich one but I think it is in Zahn's trilogy) Luke asks R2D2 to program a torpedo so that it can behave differently...

And maybe the missiles are programmed just before being launched so that they can track a specific target (and so while in storage they are programmed so that they can't detonate)...
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Countermeasures:

Flare:
Cost: Freighter Launcher: 750 Credits; Starfighter Launcher: 1250 Credits; Flares: 50 Credits Each; Advanced Flares: 80 Credits
Availability: 2, F (Advanced Flares are 3, R. Restricted to Military Units).
Freighter: Weight: Launcher: 1 Ton; Flares: Negligable. Ammo: 12
Starfighter: Weight: Launcher: 50 Kilos; Flares: Neglibable. Ammo: 4.

This high-powered energy source is actually a small Ion Engine that works at the same frequency as the engines of the launched craft. When lauched, it has a "Con" skill of 3D+1 that it rolls against the targeted Missile's Fire Control. Advanced Flares have a "Con" of 4D+1.

Chaff:
Cost: Launcher: 500 Credits; Chaff: Negligable
Availability: 2, F
Weight: 1 Ton
Ammo: 10

Chaff is simply some simple dense items that are launched behind the ship to, hopefully, set off the proximity sensor or impact fuse of a following missile or torpedo. GMs discression as to if it works or not. But it's something! Due to advanced sensor systems, Chaff cannot be used to confuse targeted missiles using modern Star Wars Technology. If used against primitive missiles, they have a "Con" of 4D against Radar-Targeting Missiles, which roll their Fire Control to see if they are fooled or not.
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
The missile Jango fired at Obi-wan in Ep. II didn't have a fuse.

Anyone else ever play TIE Fighter or X-wing?

According to Heir To The Empire Artoo can program the proton torp warheads to be proximity-based or contact-based or even remote control.

Yeah, I used to play X-Wing like crazy back in 1993. Even had dreams about playing it when sleeping. Smile
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krapou wrote:
Quote:
In a novel (I can't remenber wich one but I think it is in Zahn's trilogy) Luke asks R2D2 to program a torpedo so that it can behave differently...

Yeah, that was in Heir to the Empire after Luke left Nkllon to go to Jomark. He was interdicted in what appeared to be a random freighter stopping, but it was all Thrawn's idea. That was when he had Rukh kill the tractor beam operator for failing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: