The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Blasters.. Does anyone not max out this skill?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Blasters.. Does anyone not max out this skill? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im lucky then. Most of my player stick to their 'background'. That is, the tech guy does not have maxed out blaster skill, neither does the pilot. Actually I dont think even our merc has maxed out, even if he is close.

Having said that Dodge seems to be more of a high priority. I remember when I actually played star wars rpg, I had a fighty-tech guy. I had a rule to always have higher Dodge than Blaster..otherwise you ended up not getting any use of the Blaster skill as MAP put your Dodge skills to dangerous low levels.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My common practice amongst combat oriented characters is to have dodge/parry being at least 1 pip ahead of the combat related skill it goes with. 2 pips is preferable. Non combat guys get 2-3d difference.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quote "Not as clumsy and random as a blaster".

If I'm not a fighting character I will not spend more than 1D in blaster.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go with the old adage:

1D is below average
2D is average
3D is above average
4D is professional
5D is best in a town

And so on. Most of my players have been good at assigning points respective of their abilities. I let players specilize if they want to.

One group I was in the GM allowed one of the players to play this original primitive species from wild space that had an attribute max of 6D Dex and 6D strength and something like 1D+1 Perception and Knowledge. The guy's background was a slave that was trained as a gladiator in all sorts of different styles of personal combat. I think he had a starting blaster specialization in pistols and rifles of 10D.

There were three of us in that group, I played a Rybet Pilot who was a good all around character, and the other guy in the group was a Bith con man with 6D Knowledge and 5D perception. Think of Peter from the TV show Fringe. He talked us out of trouble most of the time, so the super-duper warrior rarely got a chance to fight.

We all had fun, and I learned alot about GMing from that group.
remo moxey
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find for the most part that anything over 6-7D to be overkill. We had a guy in our last group that was 8D and he hit everything he shot at, then rolled 1's and 2's for damage.....lol.

If I roll up a merc or soldier type I usually start with 5-6D (depending on species).
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remo moxey wrote:
I find for the most part that anything over 6-7D to be overkill. We had a guy in our last group that was 8D and he hit everything he shot at, then rolled 1's and 2's for damage.....lol.

It depends on how many actions you can get your PCs to attempt. I got one guy playing a Rodian bounty hunter with blaster at 7D+1. He can dodge and shoot just fine, but if he tries to do much more than that the mulitaction penalties prevent him for succeeding at anything else.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised with my group of min-maxers that this doesn't get maxed, but surprisingly enough they aim to max out dodge, lightsaber, and various piloting and ship weapon skills.
remo moxey
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
remo moxey wrote:

It depends on how many actions you can get your PCs to attempt. I got one guy playing a Rodian bounty hunter with blaster at 7D+1. He can dodge and shoot just fine, but if he tries to do much more than that the mulitaction penalties prevent him for succeeding at anything else.

My group is pretty smart that way. We don't try more than 2 or at the extreme 3 actions a round.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remo moxey wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
remo moxey wrote:

My group is pretty smart that way. We don't try more than 2 or at the extreme 3 actions a round.

And a Rodian with Blaster 7D+1 and with a decent gun (which he probably has if hes that into shooting) will hit what hes aiming at with only a 1D MAP... Even if hes not taking down 5 elite opponents each round, hell probably hit one each round at least..
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
remo moxey wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
remo moxey wrote:

And a Rodian with Blaster 7D+1 and with a decent gun (which he probably has if hes that into shooting) will hit what hes aiming at with only a 1D MAP... Even if hes not taking down 5 elite opponents each round, hell probably hit one each round at least..

Yup. Generally he only does 2 or 3 actions. The only time he does more is where all he is doing is shooting, and then only when fighting "blaster fodder" opponents, such as Battle Droids.

The only problem that has brought up in my group wasn't with the Rodian, but with the other, less skilled, PCs who used to try and keep up. It took them awhile to learn that while they could pull the trigger 5 times a round just like the Rodian, they couldn't hit anything, even battle droids, while doing so.
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a charcter named Thoda that I played for 5 or 6 years, and he was an 7D blaster ability, but also a 7D in dodge, 7D+1 in Space Transports, 8D in languages, and almost everything else was in the 4D to 6D range.

and That is why you fail...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: