The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Languages skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Languages skill Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Languages skill Reply with quote

It has been a while since i bothered to look, but iirc of the Languages skill, when you hit a certain D level you are considered fluent in that language. IS that just for specialties? Or for any? Also i could have sworn there was something about when you improve languages a pip you get to put down a language you know.. Is that right?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's for ever D in languages, you know automatically that many languages fluently.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know once you hit 5D in a language you are then fluent in it.

However if I have languages at 5D I still have to roll for all languages it's only specific language specalizattions that it works for.

So if I have languages: Hutese(s) at 5D I never have to roll for speaking hutese again.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked 2R&E.

-If a character makes 10 difficult rolls in a language he is considered fluent.

-If a character has 5D in a specialized language he is considered fluent in that language.

So it is possible form someone with a high languages skill to become fluent with lots of languages, but specialization is much easier and more reliable.

IMO there is a lot of incentive to raise Languages to 4D+2 and then just spend 2 CP to pick up a specialty whenever you want to learn another language.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't specialities start out at attribute +1 if purchased after character creation?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was still 1d...
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I thought it was still 1d...

Nope. Esoomian is right. R&E page 35 says 1 pip. The 1D thing is just during character creation, and it there to make speciilizing worthwhile for starting characters, with they lower die codes.

I don't use RAW for specializations, and instead use the method presented in the Legend system variant. Basically, that means they are treated as Advanced skills, but without the doubled cost.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had characters with a decent languages skill before, and it works pretty good. you have to figure how much reality<-->playability you want.

as a gm it never helped me any to let "reality" get in the way of a good game...

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I checked 2R&E.

-If a character makes 10 difficult rolls in a language he is considered fluent.

-If a character has 5D in a specialized language he is considered fluent in that language.

So it is possible form someone with a high languages skill to become fluent with lots of languages, but specialization is much easier and more reliable.

IMO there is a lot of incentive to raise Languages to 4D+2 and then just spend 2 CP to pick up a specialty whenever you want to learn another language.

Pretty much what I had in mind. It should be added, though, that there are still reasons someone fluent in a specific language would have to roll that (though personally if it's a language they grew up speaking that's a whole different matter). For instance, an unusal dialect or largely unused words may require someone fluent with a language to make a roll in that language at a lower difficulty.

Wanted Poster
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:

Pretty much what I had in mind. It should be added, though, that there are still reasons someone fluent in a specific language would have to roll that (though personally if it's a language they grew up speaking that's a whole different matter). For instance, an unusal dialect or largely unused words may require someone fluent with a language to make a roll in that language at a lower difficulty.

Sure. Likewise there are still good reasons to raise Languages over 5D. With all those various languages out there, there are lots of chances of running into someone who doesn't speak basic.

But, lets face it, for gaming purposes we need the PCs to understand the NPCs and each other most of the time, so Languages doesn't come up much. Things would bog down too much if they had to make language rolls all the time. PCs usually take it/a specialization just so they can communicate with the PC Wookiee or other PC that can't speak Basic.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the same reason nearly ever planet we go to in the stargate franchise speaks english...
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Its the same reason nearly ever planet we go to in the stargate franchise speaks english...

90% of the audience won't watch shows with subtitiles? No, not quite, but similar.

It's mostly so some players doesn't have to sit around making grunting or chriping noises all night long, passing notes to the GM would pass then, in turn to a another player, who is making constant language rolls. That would really bog the game down.

In my current game, one guy is running a JAwa, and no one has 5D in it, so every one in awhile I make them roll. Usually when he is trying to explain something technical. It seems to do the job, as the game hasn't bogged down, and the players keep spending CPs in Jawa.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my games everyone generally speaks basic (who can).

NPCs only speak other languages when they dont want the PCs to understand them.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a modified version of this translator in my past games. Instead of a hand-held unit it was incorporated into a piece of jewelry or armor. Worked great since you didn't have to spend character points on Language skills.

The device can be found on pg. 47 of WEG40025_Star Wars - Galadinium's Fantastic Technology.

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's mostly so some players doesn't have to sit around making grunting or chriping noises all night long, passing notes to the GM would pass then, in turn to a another player, who is making constant language rolls. That would really bog the game down.

That to me is part of the fun (and side effect) of playing an alien.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: