The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stormtrooper deployment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Stormtrooper deployment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: Stormtrooper deployment Reply with quote

Does anyone know the official number for Stormtrooper troop deployment?

I know they have squads, platoons, companies, battalions, regiments, and battlegroups (called legions). A Stormtrooper battalion had 820 men, but how many for the rest?
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the organization of the Imperial Army, taken from the Imperial Sourcebook:

Squad. Has eight combat soldiers, in addition to and commanded by a sergeant; corporal is second-in-command, chosen from the regular soldiers. The basic combat unit in the Imperial Army.
Platoon. A platoon is composed of four squads. Commanded by lieutenant (platoon commander) and sergeant major (second-in-command).
Company. Composed of four platoons. Commanded by a captian.
Battalion. A battalion is comosed of four companies, commanded by a major. This is normally the minimum size unit for surface operations.
Regiment. A regiment is generally made up of four battalions, commanded by a lieutenant colonel.
Battlegroup. A battlegroup is generally composed of four regiments, commanded by a high colonel. A battlegroup is used for major offensives against known concentrations of resistance.
Corps. Corps are generally composed of four battlegroups, commanded by a major general. This organization covers all troops in a planetary invasion force.
Army. Generally composed of four corps, this organization covers multiple corps engaged in multiple actions, and is commanded by a general.
Systems Army. Generally composed of one army, but sometimes containing up to three armies. Commanded by a high general. This organization is more of a book-keeping unit, and the systems army headquarters is responsible for keeping track of all military forces in the system.
Sector Army. Generally composed of two to four systems armies, commanded by a surface marshall. This organization covers all troops in a given sector.

This is a description of how Stormtroopers fit into the Order of Battle, also from the Imperial Sourcebook:

Stormtroopers technically do fit in the Order of Battle. But these elite troops continue to be a source of mystery to the regular Army, even at the level of their organization. The major difference seems to be the complete lack of support personnel. It is known that the stormtroopers do siphon off some supplies from the normal chain of logistics, but not nearly enough to support a force as large as the stormtroopers appear to be. Whether they can somehow "live off the land", have a shadow network which resupplies them in order to enhance their mystery, or really not be in need of resupply is simply not known.
The end result is that a stormtrooper unit is pure combat.
A stormtrooper battalion has 820 men, just like any other battallion. But every single individual is either combat command or a trooper - there is even a complete absence of staff officers.
Other differences, although minor, do appear. Stormtrooper squads vary in number of men to a greater degree than in the regular Army. The level of organization corresponding to a battlegroup is called a legion. While there is no larger unit of stormtrooper organization than the legion, legions have been known to appear from other sectors to join in a major offensive with legions which belong to the Sector Group.

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolness! Very Happy
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Robot Ron
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is it?! Do they have a shadow network for resupply, do they somehow live off the land, or do they not actually need to resupply? They can't just leave us hanging like that. What do you think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I would hazard to guess based on their equipment, and the prevailing mentality of the Empire that they are equipped to live for a select amount of time without re-supply, probably up to a week. But it seems to me that the Empire tends to force a reliance on the troops, this is reflected in the “space corps” by having no ships with hyperdrives or supplies, the Empire seems to run things out of specific platforms such a Star Destroyers, AT-AT’s etc.

Also I tend to think of Stromtroopers as strictly heavy combat line breakers, the capture territory, they don’t hold it, that what the Imperial Army is for, or so I would guess.
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapid deployment bases that they drop from orbit allow to keep storm troopers fed and housed Razz
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those too. Smile

I always pictured Stromtroopers constantly going from one galactic hotspot to another. Perhaps the prefabricated bases support this, buy have a readymade facility to support its troops that can almost as quickly be torn down and moved to a different location. Doing the primary fighting for the Empire and leaving the Imperial Army to do the clean up. Outside of artillery and holding territory what else would the army do?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scream like newbies when they get tossed off of an AT-ST
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right.

Which also goes to further illustrate why I am “modifying” them for my campaign. Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: