The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

CD covers for those PDF files
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> CD covers for those PDF files Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: CD covers for those PDF files Reply with quote

Hi guys. I'm planning on burning my PDF files to CD. And what is a CD without an attractive cover? So, I've put my limited photoshop skills to work and I'm posting a couple of samples here. I've done quite a few, but most of them are variations of this sort. Comments are welcome, but mostly I'm hoping you'll use them.

They should print just fine as they are, but you may have to resize them from 360x360 to 346x346 depending on your printer.

Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice designs cheshire, and good idea. As for comments, I think you should try and clean up the D6 logo a little better, those white borders look quite ugly. Also, I don't think it fits to use WOTC art on a WEG collection, for me nothing spells WEG better than a good Ralph McQuire illustration, you can find most of them in TheForce.net Multimedia section.
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I like the collages. I don't like the black though (I have an inkjet printer and this would not come out well!). Also, the D6 logo needs work and I'm not sure about the overall composition. Hrm.

And well, to be honest, the collection is now DVD size, not CD size. It'd take multiple CDs to burn all these PDFs. :)

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RedFox wrote:
Also, the D6 logo needs work and I'm not sure about the overall composition. Hrm.

I'm no graphic design artist, so talk to me like I'm four. Smile When you say "needs work" what do you mean specifically? The WEG designed the logo to look rough, as far as I'm aware. I got the logo off of their site. So, do you mean taking away the white that fills in some of the gaps?

As far as the overal composition, what would make it better? I have a program that allows me to manipulate pictures, though not a lot of experience and no training.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that white is not part of the D6 logo, it's just the remaining edges of a poor cutting job. It would look a lot better if you could erase out all that white. I catually had to do that as well for the back cover of my Starships Stats book.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think besides Ralph McQuire I'd look also at Dave Dorman, whose done cover art for a number of novels and comics as well as doing SW pieces for TOPPs cards, audio dramas, etc. Some of his art has even been used for sourcebook covers. The Dark Empire Sourcebook, Tales of the Jedi Companion, and Cynabar's Fantastic Technology Droids all use Dorman artwork for the covers. I think both e and McQuire have art that really says SW more than anyone else.

Wanted Poster
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha. I thought the white was part of the logo. I've got it cleaned up a little bit, so that it's a bit less objectionable. Perhaps when I have a bit more time I'll clean it up some more.

Anyway, as far as the composition and black background goes, I've re-done the CD covers to a bit more familiar style.

Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUCH nicer!
RedFox
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Very good improvement.

BTW, what I mean by composition is a creative use of space. In art, it's more interesting visually to fill as much space as possible (without making things seem too cluttered). Also, symetry is bad. You don't want a block floating in the exact center of your picture, with a title on the top and a logo on the bottom, generally.

Here, it looks good.

Sorry if I came off as pedantic, it's just that I've grown up in an artistic household, so I immediately start critiquing things like this. ;) The second versions of the covers look quite good, and much more reminiscent of WEG. I'll probably be using them for my DVD cover. Just gotta take 'em in to a copy shop and get a good print-out of them first.

Any chance we could get much larger resolution versions of these? The larger the images we have, the better the quality will be when we print 'em out.

I have Star Wars stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you like one specifically in a higher resolution, or both?
Battlestar
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are very nice. High res images would be great. Do you have anymore covers done up or is this all you have done?
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having some problems with hires pics. The issue is that the images I'm dealing with aren't my own scans, they are digital images. I can't get it much higher resolution because the source material I have is not hires. I can still clean it up a bit, though.

So far, these are the only two I've got. If you would like, I can make a few more when I've got the time.
Battlestar
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if you don't mind more would be nice.
ebertran
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.df.lth.se/~ola/Starwars/

These images here are all Mcquirre hi-res stuff from the 3 movies.

Maybe you can use these.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Idea, good work Wink

Redfox wrote:
And well, to be honest, the collection is now DVD size, not CD size. It'd take multiple CDs to burn all these PDFs. Smile

DVD size? Mines past that even.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: