The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

precedent for curved blade lightsabers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> precedent for curved blade lightsabers? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: precedent for curved blade lightsabers? Reply with quote

Simple questions - does any know of canon or precedent for a lightsaber with a curved blade?

we have someone wanting to make a lightsaber scythe and the gm has stated that if he can find proof of it done before in a book or game then he will allow it but otherwise it will need to be a straight blade (though there is already the idea of using three or more blades but he doesn't want to have to find that much crystal.)
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard of a curved lightsaber blade, though they could use the same basic principle as a lightwhip to produce the blade their after.

Wanted Poster
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats one of the topics we were wondering about.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Info on lightwhips does appear in the New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology. And of course there is the article on Wookieepedia that can be of some help. The has been around, real world terms, nearly as long as the lightsaber being introduced into the SW mythos nearly ten years after the lightsaber.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one of our Sparks campaign modules has force using droids (don't ask) with light scythes.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All aesthetics aside, there is little reason for a curved lightsaber from a physics standpoint...
Curved blades in physical edged weapons served to focus pressure into as small an area as possible, thereby increasing sharpness, whereas a lightsaber operates on an entirely different principal for its cutting work.
of course if you want a curved blade for the sake of having the only lightsaber in the galaxy that actually looks like a saber, that's different!

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember his name, but there was a graphic short story where Vader was attacked by a bounty hunter who could project curved energy blades from his forearms (among other interesting weapons). Don't know how you feel about Eu sources, but that one seems applicable.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count Dooku's lightsabre springs to mind as a canonical representation of a classical duelling sabre of the mid 18th century. The handle is curved and aesthetic, but the blade is still straight.

It seems to me the canonical lightsabre is all about the handle, which helps determine or is determined by the Jedi's fighting style. Blades are all straight though.

just imo.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how/why they made the Lightwhip for Lumia??
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall the lightwhip is actually a regular whip made of some lightsaber resistant material that has the lightsaber blade projected along the resistant material.

I looked it up in Wookieepedia a while back, I'm betting the information is still there.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Drop Bear
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a curved energy blade it will have to shroud a solid form so it will be no where as compact as a conventional lightsaber, but I know of a way to have the template form collapse down to less than a foot plus hilt length.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone else mentioned the lightwhip seems to me as well, to be a different kind of energy weapon, despite some similar characteristics.

Other energy weapons like the lightfoil are clearly common technology to the lightsabre.

A sabre shaped "energy blade" strikes me as, like the lightwhip, a different kind of energy weapon, which works using different technology. Allien technology perhaps. The Hyperdrive was never invented by the Core Worlds, but introduced by an unknown alien species. Perhaps this is one of their weapons? (canonically lightsabres are mundane technology which existed before Jedi did, invented in and by the regular Republic systems).

Call it a plasma blade and have it work in a different way. It makes no difference to Jedi. They took the lightsabre as it was and developed their way of using it. No reason they can't do this with other weapons.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
As I recall the lightwhip is actually a regular whip made of some lightsaber resistant material that has the lightsaber blade projected along the resistant material.

I looked it up in Wookieepedia a while back, I'm betting the information is still there.

Look again.. this is directly from the Light whip introduction..

"Lightwhips generally functioned on the same principles and mechanics as lightsabers, emitting a coherent beam of energy that was used as a weapon. However, rather than the straight, meter long blades emitted by standard lightsabers, lightwhips featured long, flexible blades that often exceeded several meters in length."
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:

Also, the Lightwhip is a really stupid idea...
Its enough to have a annahilating energy blade that you cant even touch without hurting yourslelf, doing the same thing with a whip is beyond stupidity.

Why they did it - its k3wl for the kids! Rolling Eyes
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the short answer is there is no precedent either for or against, assuming a lightwhip operates on different principals.

My brothers and I have talked a lot about how lightsabers work, and half or more of our ideas would support a curved blade, with some significant increases in complexity of the hilt.

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: