The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jengardin Double-bladed Vibro blade..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Jengardin Double-bladed Vibro blade..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Jengardin Double-bladed Vibro blade.. Reply with quote

Through out the years since i first saw this weapon in Galadiniums, i have loved it's look, but it was only yesterday when reading it in Gry's Weapons collection pdf i actually noticed that when doing anything OTHER than melee/Melee parry with it, ALL actions get hit with a 2 cat shift penalty. So does that mean if you dodge, all actions are hit by +10 (2 cat shifts)?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.
Hmm, one could argue that a dodge doesn't use the weapon... but at the same time, one could argue that the weapon size and ponderousness could hamper one's ability to dodge...

Re-reading the capsule again, it seems like the size/format of the weapon, along with its form of powering probably hinder pretty much everything you try to do, including moving. Guess it's got some crazy gyromotors in it or something. Yeah, I think that using the weapon would increase the difficulty of a dodge roll, running, etc. due to whatever it does while powered up and in hand... I can also see it hampering interaction skills like Knowledges and Perception skills as it requires strong focus to wield properly, messing up your ability to focus on those attributes to use them quickly/accurately.

Yeah, use this thing only when you have control of the situation Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of making a ship's security officer who wielded one for 'anti boarding ops.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sort of make sense, it would be hard to run carrying the weapon, it would be pretty hard to draw a blaster and hold the thing one-handed.

However, I'm having a hard time understanding how it would hinder your intimidation roll if you were holding one. Smile
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I can easily see it hampering skills like blaster (or any shooting/ranged skill) dodge, running, Mech/Tech based and several knowledge based ones, but i cannot see how it would hamper (hinder) things like search, sneak, investigation, con, bargaining, investigation, languages etc.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Same here. I can easily see it hampering skills like blaster (or any shooting/ranged skill) dodge, running, Mech/Tech based and several knowledge based ones, but i cannot see how it would hamper (hinder) things like search, sneak, investigation, con, bargaining, investigation, languages etc.

Intimidation, well, even the fluff text in Galladiums implies that it's intimidation on its own Razz It shouldn't be hampered. I can see it hindering the other skills you listed though; with languages, for example, think of a time that you were working on something that took concentration and someone was talking to you (in your native language even)... how often do you not catch what they said, or have to ask them to repeat themselves because your attention was divided. Same deal with things like sneak, search, investigation, conning, bargaining etc. that require strong attention to detail to do successfully... wielding a weapon that you have to concentrate heavily to use will influence how much attention you can allocate to those other activities.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect the asynchronous whine from the dual vibro blades would be distracting and make sneak rather difficult. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.. i have yet to play in a game where the 'whine' of a vibro weapon hindered sneak or search..
Critias
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Interesting.. i have yet to play in a game where the 'whine' of a vibro weapon hindered sneak or search..

Realistically, if powered up at the time they probably should -- I remember the Talon Vibrodagger is popular among assassins and specops types specifically because it, and it alone, is noted for staying silent when turned on.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critias Wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
garhkal wrote:

Realistically, if powered up at the time they probably should -- I remember the Talon Vibrodagger is popular among assassins and specops types specifically because it, and it alone, is noted for staying silent when turned on.

Or for vibro weapons that automatically turn on when unsheathed.

We've always used the whine. It adds to the intimidation factor of pulling a vibroblade and realistically as a safety factor, it lets the weilder and his friends know the darn thing is ON.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess eveyr gm i have played with never has had them make a noise..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recall if we always assumed the noise or if we started after reading some of the descriptions in Gundark’s Fantastic Technology or one of the other supplements. An associated hum or whine is a fairly common trope http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VibroWeapon

It makes sense (to me) that there would usually be a noise. Both from a safety and from a no free lunch aspect. Gives a plain old blade the advantage of being silent. Also, though it's a minor point, if no vibroweapons make noise, there's no reason to mention that the Talon is silent. We tend to have silent vibroweapons be illegal for civilians.

I also like the notion of the thug pulling a shiv and to up the threat he turns it on so it hums, whines, etc. Sort of the SW equivalent of the guy in the movie who flips the bali-song knife. 8)

On the other hand, many of the descriptions say the vibrations are ultrasonic, so if you want them to be silent you could argue humans couldn't hear the sound. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: