The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Would this give a dark side point?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Would this give a dark side point?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Would this give a dark side point? Reply with quote

I am in a bit of a dilemma trying to decide if one of the players should have a DSP. To make a long story short this is the situation:

A force sensitive character with force skills is snooping around a hospital trying to get some info about some of the patiens. There are clearly some emergency surgery going on in the operating rooms. When a surgeon leves a operation room he lures him into a small romm, ask him questions and stuns him with his blaster.
While he is in the small romms he hears that the doctor is called to the operationg room by the loudspeakers.

My questions is:
Should he get a DSP for the potiential death of the patient the surgeon was operation on?

PS: I hope my strange english is understandable.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, borderline.

I wouldnt if the player werent aware of the consequeses until after the situation. If he was fully aware that this doctor was needed and deliberately stunned him I would probably..

Even If he didnt get a DSP I would describe to the player that he had a brush with the dark side and his actions was putting him right at the edge.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious how he lured the surgeon in to a room in the first place. If he's got the impending death of a patient, he's not likely to be distracted.
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I'm just curious how he lured the surgeon in to a room in the first place."

Threatened him with a blaster.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll build on ZzaphodD's response.

The first consideration is intent of the player. Was he just being stupid and not thinking about the possible consequences of his character's actions? That would probably get a warning and if the player changed his action then no problem. At least if he had no previous DSPs. But it sounds like you didn't give him a warning or point out that he didn't know what kind of surgery he was taking the doctor away from.

The second consideration is intent of the character (although that may not be any different than the player's). Sure, he may not have directly intended on causing harm to the patient (which would definitely get a DSP) but he was aware that the surgeon was about to go into emergency surgery and for that potential harm alone he would he probably only get a warning that he was on the borderline from me.

But with Star Wars it is not only intent but also outcome of your actions. The third consideration is, did anything bad happen to the patient by the doctor being stunned? You said "potential", but did the delay of reviving the doctor or calling a new one cause the patient further harm or death? If so, I would definitely give him a DSP for stunning the doctor.

Under the rules, you are supposed to give the player a warning a chance to reconsider their actions before giving the DSP. If you didn't at the time and are just asking if you should have for furture situations like this one, then you may want to give the player a break and tell the player that the patient lived, but if the patient had died then a DSP would have been given. That was the player is still getting the moral lesson for consideration of future choices.

But if it were me, I would have later politely pointed out that he should have known that doctors don't really know what's going on at hospitals. Doctors only know what their clipboards (datapads) say in those respects. He should have tried a nurse, non-medical personel or hacking into a computer for patient information.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...

First off, did he hear the Tannoy announcement for the doc's requirement back in surgery BEFORE or after he stunned him?

Secondly, why is he skulking around trying to steal patient info? That to me does not sound like a good act in the first place..

Quote:
Under the rules, you are supposed to give the player a warning a chance to reconsider their actions before giving the DSP.

Normally yes. BUT blantly evil acts skip the warning..
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First off, did he hear the Tannoy announcement for the doc's requirement back in surgery BEFORE or after he stunned him?

I honestly dont remember.

Quote:
Secondly, why is he skulking around trying to steal patient info? That to me does not sound like a good act in the first place..

Well, they were on a planet on a diplomatic mission from the rebel alliance. The planet was ruled by an ancient emperor (kept alive by cyberware). But the emperors guard was attacked and afterwards both the guards and the emperor himself was rushed to the hospital.
The player character saw the emperors son approch the emperor and demand that the PCs were arrested so he fled. He then suspected that the son had killed his father and I guess he was trying to confirm that theory by snooping around the hospital where the doctors were fighting to save the guards lifes.

Quote:
You said "potential", but did the delay of reviving the doctor or calling a new one cause the patient further harm or death? If so, I would definitely give him a DSP for stunning the doctor.

I dont know.
I did not exspect the PC to turn up at the hospital and I did not plan how hurt the guards were I just planned that they lost the battle.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope you at least got a good chase scene with floating repulsor-gurneys and flying bed pans and stuff out of that... Wink

Sounds like a situation where the player didn't fully appreciate the danger he was placing the guard-patients in. Rather than a DSP, I would probably warn the player and then have the villain use the fact that a docter was taken prisoner at blaster point and stunned as further evidence of a plot by traitors outside the government to kill the king and destabilize the government. Cleary the PCs are working for these "traitors" and clearly the son must take the reins of power to prevent chaos and trouble and to ensure that these "traitors" are unsuccessful in their bid to destabilize the government.

In other words, the character's hospital escapade sounds like it plays right into the villains hands and will add a complication to the players ability to thwart the villian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: