The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Least Favorite 2nd Edition WEG Book
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Least Favorite 2nd Edition WEG Book Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Least Favorite 2nd Edition WEG Book Reply with quote

It seems that the vast majority of the material put out for 2nd Edition is well thought out and very useful depending on what you ae doing in your campaign. However one book I have that I loathe and never use is Creatures of the Galaxy. It is simply not that useful to me, the montsers/creatures are all pretty lame looking, and it doesn't include Taun-Tauns, Rancors, Wampas, Dewbacks, mynocks or anything else of interest. Granted you can find stats for all those creatures in other books, but it still would have made the book a lot better than the one we have. Now if I want to use any of the above mentioned beasts I have to remember which book they apppeared in. Anyway what is your least favorite supplement, guide, or sourcebook in the game and why?

and That is why you fail...

Last edited by GMgreatness on Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Least Favorite 2nd Edition WEG Book Reply with quote

GMgreatness wrote:
However one book I have that I loathe and never use is Creatures of the Galaxy. It is not that useful to me, the montsers/creatures are all pretty lame looking, and it doesn't include

I think that wins. I didn't like the GG for Mos Eisley much either.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't fond of the critter book either...thought it was a waste. But then again so was the Shadows of the Empire Planet book...

Keith
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shadows of the Empire Planet Collection defiantly ranks in the top five. Mine is pristine, because it never gets opened!!!

and That is why you fail...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Least Favorite 2nd Edition WEG Book Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
I didn't like the GG for Mos Eisley much either.

Are you kidding? That's one of my favourite books! You just need to drop a group in Mos Eisley and occasionally glance at that book, and you have yourself a cool adventure.

I agree on Creatures of the Galaxy, though. Very shoddy book. The creatures are lame, they don't really fit into most campaigns, the artwork makes them very uninteresting, and even embarassing to confront your players with.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only use I ever had for the creatures of the Galaxy book came from the naming of a crime boss. I used the name 'Svaper' from one of the critters in the book for the nickname of the crime boss in question.

Keith
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Academy Sourcebook is #1 in my opinion. I saw it going up for $.99 on eBay a few weeks ago. That seemed like the right price, but I'd have to pay $5.00 in shipping. Just not worth it.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Jedi Academy Sourcebook is #1 in my opinion.

I've gotten a bit of use from it, mostly for NPC stats, but if I didn't run my game post-Endor... I think I'd agree with you.

and @Gry... yes, I thought GG7 detailed some things too much, and others not enough, and I didn't like the way they detailed the shops.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love GG7: Mos Eisley, but a lot of it was taken from the classic adventure Tatooine Manhunt and expanded.

I don't use creatures that often in my games, but I actually liked the Creatures of the Galaxy book because of its unconventional production process. Instead of artists reading capsules and creating their interpretations (and in some cases misinterpretations), the artists created the creatures first, and then the writers wrote capsules and created stats based on the art work. Not all of the artwork is good and not all of the creatures are cool, but I love some of the Mike Vilardi creatures. And being that these creatures weren't used in the movies (and many have never been used in the EU), I can easily tranport some of the creatures to other homeworlds and augment their capsules for my purposes. None of my players have ever looked at that book so they are completely orginal creatures to them when they do appear.

I agree with Chesire about the Jedi Academy Trilogy sourcebook. I'll lump in with that the Dark Empire sourcebook. I didn't care for those EU products and I also don't care too much for the sourcebooks.

I'd probably have to go with Craken's Threat Dossier as the worst. Not only does it cover a couple lame trilogies and one single-story EU novel, but it has a poor production value with a lof the pages dark and hard to read. Blah.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Jedi Academy Sourcebook is #1 in my opinion. I saw it going up for $.99 on eBay a few weeks ago. That seemed like the right price, but I'd have to pay $5.00 in shipping. Just not worth it.

Now, I use JASb all the time as a quick reference for all kinds of things. I don't use characters and such from it, but I reference some of the gear and Force material. It's been a pretty handy book.

As with many others, the Creatures of the Galaxy book hasn't been terribly useful. I've tended to just make up my own creatures over using the book Razz

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one game i used the "fido" from it..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love creating characters, alien species, planets, sectors, mysteries, plot twists, stories and modified starships. So I don't have time to create things I don't enjoy as much like droid models, weapons, equipment, vehicles, stock ships, and creatures. CotG is not terribly useful because I don't use creatures that much. But to me, it is not the worst book because it is occasionally useful for bam - instant original creatures with no thought or delay.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
hisham
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the JASB. It looks awesome when you flip through it, then you realize each entry is a description of events in the novels pertaining to those set of stats. There are some extras, but not a lot.

It's like buying the Star Wars Sourcebook and finding out that the X-Wing entry reads that the X-Wing was used during the Battle of Yavin, who pilots them, what their callsigns are, how the battle went in the movie, which X-wings were destroyed and closes the entry with "The X-wing is a really awesome starfighter, and it's continued to be used over the course of the Galactic Civil War winning some battles and losing others."

I think the Mos Eisley GG is awesome. I used a large portion of it on a four session adventure once, and I'd use it again that way again, if possible.

Creatures of the Galaxy is a bit a mixed thing for me. Their heart was in the right place, that is they were trying to reproduce the effect of the concept art for the movies and give them stats. But more than half the artwork in my opinion was unsuited for Star Wars. Some of those creatures have been recreated by other artists elsewhere (bergruutfa, arqet) and they look much better there. However, all of Mike Vilardi's artwork in that book are awesome.
jonnjonnzz
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracken's Threat Dossier
Gamer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to go with Dark Empire and the Creature guide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: