The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Least favorite Star Wars Novel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> Least favorite Star Wars Novel? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YodaWI
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Matt_76 wrote:
I'm actually shocked so many people like the X-wing books; I'm guessing most of you are either very young or read them when you were young... if you go back and read them again, maybe you'll see what I see..

Stackpole can't write character's to save his life....they always talk like characters in a book...not like real people. There are ALWAYS certain people to whom nothing will happen.....everyone else will eventually buy it or get terrible injuries. And finally; much of the idea is total nonsense...these guys are PILOTS...why are they always on undercover missions and commando raids and have the frickin' HEAD OF THE EMPIRE hunting them....they're 12 people!

I only read the first one, but I agree with you from what I read. I didn't like the description of the dogfights or the tactics used (especially how proton torpedos were used).

For my own two cents, I really enjoyed the X-wing books, both Rogue and Wraith squadrons.

I first read them when I was a preteen, and have reread them since. One of the reasons I enjoyed them so much is that X-wing: Space Combat Simulator was/still is my favorite computer game of all time. Also, anytime I envisioned myself in Star Wars, it was as an X-wing pilot

Another thing I like about them is that you don't have any strange, newly-invented Force power that doesn't feel at all like Star Wars to worry about.

I have enjoyed most of the Star Wars novels I have read, but I think the overall thing I disliked the most is how some of them portrayed Luke. His character has changed and gone back and forth more than any other I think.
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest novel series have done a really fantastic job of portraying Luke in a consistent way. I think mostly because he's actually back to being Luke Skywalker, rather than the Grandmaster of the Jedi Order.

Let me make you a picture!
Darius
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the crystal star wasnt a great book. but i think that the new rebellion was worse. but mind you, it was written by a star trek writer. the author went with new (and silly) aliens and missed out all the dominant ones. that in itself isnt a problem, but the characterisations where all way off, luke wouldnt go anywhere without R2. the book really had a bad feel.
malchya
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found The Crystal Star insipid and uninspiring and fully agree with the idea of it being a rejected DS9 script, but the worst SW books, in my opinion, were the Corellian Trilogy....Good Lord! Han was....well, not believable as Han. And Chewie felt more like an old western comic sidekick. I haven't re read them since they came out, but I just couldn't stomach them at the time.

My Favorites? The Brian Daley trilogy!
firefly01
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Hello All Reply with quote

While I would agree the Crystel dreams book is bad, from a military stand point the Republic Commando books are (in my opinion) the worst. The author ( I forget her name off the top of my head) wrote the books with not much research into Star Wars. The first book one of the clones moves 40 to 50 km to the target with a heavy E-web, battery PACKS for it, the tripod, and his normal gear. Sorry, I'm in the Army and no one man would (or could) move that much equipment across that much enemy held territory. He would have dumped the dang E-web and moved RAPIDLY to link back up with his squad. That was one thing that made me throw the first book into the junk pile to trade back to Hastings. But I got stupid and read the second book in the field and hated it to. She made the Jedi council sound way to incompetent. Give me a brake, a merc is NOT going to be able to tell a member of the Jedi Council "this is how we're going to do it or else" and get away with it, even if he was a Mandolorian. Her characters all seem like carbon copies of each other (no pun intended about the clone ones) ALL with an attitude and all WAY to large for life.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried reading one of the republic commando books and I didn't like it either. I haven't read all the others, so it was too hard to keep track of the 487 or so characters in the book (some dead, some alive, some in flashback)...

And I didn't like her style of writing- which doesn't help matters.
Jason Scanlon
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello All Reply with quote

firefly01 wrote:
...She made the Jedi council sound way to incompetent...

I'm guessing you're not a big fan of the prequels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: