The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

yet another lightsaber variant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> yet another lightsaber variant Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Is this optional result chart based on lightsaber vs. lightsaber or is it based on some sort of Movement skill? I assume the former, but just want to be sure.

To the lightsaber vs. lightsaber roll. This result chart is an addendum to the optional result charts I posted earlier.

Quote:
It is not clear, is the -(1D+2) penalty from sidestep applied to the Form IV user, his opponent, or both?

To the opponent, not the Form IV user. However, I pretty much wrote it up off the top of my head, and I'm still considering how best to apply the penalties and results. Suggestions would be appreciated.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On reflection, perhaps it would be simpler to just use increasing dice penalties to indicate how badly the loser got played on the Move result chart, rather than coming up with rules for how a character will react when his opponent is standing beside him or behind him.

The chart would look more like:
11-14 = Opponent is -1D on his next action
15-18 = Opponent is -2D on his next action
19-22 = Opponent is -3D
23+ = etc, etc.

EDIT: And I'd probably change the name from Move to Feint

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility would be to remove the Feint result chart and only make it available to Trakata adepts. Per Wookieepedia, Trakata is a skill which uses the unique ability of a lightsaber to be turned on and off as a deceptive trick in fighting. In my write-up, however, I have expanded it to cover pretty much all "dirty tricks" that a character may or may not use in close combat, and that, in turn, would be much more easily expressed by what I have written up for the Feint result chart...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bren, what rules would you use if one of the combatants in a lightsaber duel was wielding a lightwhip?

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
So Bren, what rules would you use if one of the combatants in a lightsaber duel was wielding a lightwhip?
I don't have any special rules for lightwhip. I would probably look at the D6 Magazine article on whips to see if there is anything I'd want to use for the (presumably) NPC using the lightwhip. Other than that, I would tend to use the variant dueling rules if this was a major villain or a key scene, especially if the villain's skills are near equal or in excess of the PCs. The variant dueling rules provide more time and flexibility for a player (or villain) to opt for retreat rather than quickly ending up with sliced user of Force as the special of the day. If it the opponent is essentially a force using mook with a lightwhip, then I would just use the regular rules and allow for a fast resolution that presumably is in the PCs favor.

Does that answer your question?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Does that answer your question?

Sort of, but you know me; I like to have a rule for it. I do think any stat write-up for a lightwhip would be a good place for the lightsaber's "fail by 10 or more and slash yourself" rule.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next question that comes to mind is, which of the Seven Forms is best suited to combat with a Lightwhip? If I make the lightwhip primarily an offensive weapon, then Form III is out, and I think the whip relies a little too much on movement over strength to be a good fit for Form V, but II and IV might be good possibilities. Possibly even VII.

Also, the whip is definitely a good villain weapon, but it could also be an alternate weapon for a Zorro-esque Jedi, wielding a lightfoil in one hand and a lightwhip in the other. It could even conceivably be a modular weapon, where the lightwhip attaches to the base of the lightfoil and combines power cells to generate a standard lightsaber blade, which retracts down to a lightfoil when the whip is detached and used independently...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since all the forms are based on sword combat, originally. None of them really seem appropriate for a whip. But some forms are less suitable than others.

Form I is explicitly derived from earlier non-energy sword forms. So that seems a non-starter. The way I've often seen a whip used, it seems like there would be too much circular or rotary motion for it to fit the more linear and European dueling style of Form II. So I'd nix that too. Whip does seem pretty offensive, though the defense is designed around keeping at attacker away. Sort of like an extreme range outer circle for Form III, but overall I'll agree with you that Form III seems out.

Maybe form IV since it is all about motion - which seems related to the moving in all 3 planes at once style of a whip.

Form V is agressive, so that fits I guess. Form VI is the catch all dumping ground, so it sort of fits, but I'm inclined to leave it out of there. Form VII as the weird agressive skill sort of makes the most sense.

But at the end of the day, I come back to...not a sword so it really needs it's own style.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
But at the end of the day, I come back to...not a sword so it really needs it's own style.

I agree. I'm not sure if it should be a separate skill from Lightsaber or if it should be an Advanced skill with Lightsaber as a prerequisite. Since I use a different version of LSC, it wouldn't be so much of an issue for me and my campaign, but for someone who is playing by the RAW, a lightwhip would be relatively useless if it can't be combined with LSC. Maybe an (A) Lightwhip skill with 5D Lightsaber and 5D Melee Combat: Whip as prerequisites...

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once a PC is competent with a lightwhip, I'd probably allow the lightsaber combat skill to apply for PCs. For NPCs it is sort of irrelevant since I could as easily give the NPC a lightwhip combat skill that works just like lightsaber combat but with a lightwhip.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Once a PC is competent with a lightwhip, I'd probably allow the lightsaber combat skill to apply for PCs. For NPCs it is sort of irrelevant since I could as easily give the NPC a lightwhip combat skill that works just like lightsaber combat but with a lightwhip.

True, but its still nice to have a uniform system to which everyone has to adhere.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that a lightwhip is as different from a lightsaber (if not moreso) as a lightsaber is from a regular melee weapon. I think it would need it's own skill, but I would allow the LSC force power to applied equally.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered expanding this rule to cover all Melee and Brawling combat?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I would think that a lightwhip is as different from a lightsaber (if not moreso) as a lightsaber is from a regular melee weapon. I think it would need it's own skill, but I would allow the LSC force power to applied equally.

I can see the point of that, but I would think lightsaber would be a useful skill here because the two weapons share some unique qualities (specifically, the ability to cut through anything). I'm leaning towards making it an advanced skill with at least a minimal amount of lightsaber skill required to pick it up.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Have you considered expanding this rule to cover all Melee and Brawling combat?

Huh? What rule? If you're talking about different weapons, then, no, I haven't. As has been discussed before, the lightsaber is it's own skill probably for the sake of making the lightsaber unique and "difficult" to use for someone who has never seen one or doesn't know what it is. CP-wise, it works out to be the same cost as a specialization of Melee Combat and Melee Parry.

D20 solves the problem of particularly strange/rare weapons with the exotic weapons category. In SWD6, it would seem that the only "exotic" weapon is the lightsaber (the designers did not foresee the introduction of the double bladed lightsaber or the lightwhip or what have we). But, since specialization is an option, it becomes difficult justify needing a new skill for each and every "exotic" weapon. On the other hand, a lightwhip (to me) feels like a pretty far departure from anything else in Star Wars. So much so that I feel it deserves the same special treatment (even if not reverence) as the lightsaber.

crmcneill wrote:
I can see the point of that, but I would think lightsaber would be a useful skill here because the two weapons share some unique qualities (specifically, the ability to cut through anything). I'm leaning towards making it an advanced skill with at least a minimal amount of lightsaber skill required to pick it up.

The only problem I have with making it an advanced skill is that it would stack with the lightsaber skill, so... if you look at the way advanced skills work: you add the (A) skill to the base skill when using the base skill (in this case, swinging a lightsaber). And when doing something that requires the (A) skill (swinging the whip), you roll only the dice you have in the (A) skill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: