The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

two-weapon fighting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> two-weapon fighting Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a new topic on the ambidexterity thing...didn't want to derail this thread. You may go about your business... Wink
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubtBreak wrote:
That depends entirely on how you think about paired-weapon fighting. (And, I suppose, on how strictly you interpret "one action" in a combat round.) In my mind, it's not a matter of making two attacks at once, but of making one attack that uses two weapons.

If I may use your words- these are very different concepts.

This is true. But I do think of paired-weapon fighting in terms of the actual motions, motor control and training required to do it. There's a reason why it is not a common fighting style in the real world.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
As long as the character is directing both weapons' attacks at a single target, at least.

Aha, I see that wasn't specified in the bit I posted. Yes, that's the only time this rule works... using a single action to attack two targets is an entirely different matter. (in case you give a bantha's tail: the character has to split his/her skill dice between the two attacks- i.e. a character with 6D Blasters could make two separate 3D attacks as a single action, or a 2D and a 4D attack, etc.)

Matthias777 wrote:
And that's what's important...if it works for you in your games, for you and your players, without throwing out the balance, go for it. Not that you need my permission. :wink: It's all about what's fun for you and yours.

Absolutely. :) But once I posted the rule, it would be a bit irresponsible of me to not explain my reasoning in the face of the obvious objections. (Plus, I'd be a poor GM if I couldn't.)
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubtBreak wrote:
Matthias777 wrote:
As long as the character is directing both weapons' attacks at a single target, at least.

Aha, I see that wasn't specified in the bit I posted. Yes, that's the only time this rule works... using a single action to attack two targets is an entirely different matter. (in case you give a bantha's tail: the character has to split his/her skill dice between the two attacks- i.e. a character with 6D Blasters could make two separate 3D attacks as a single action, or a 2D and a 4D attack, etc.)

Yeah, in that case, I'd be inclined to not impose a penalty, but I wouldn't give a skill bonus the bonus of double damage is pretty formidible in itself.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Yeah, in that case, I'd be inclined to not impose a penalty, but I wouldn't give a skill bonus the bonus of double damage is pretty formidible in itself.

Actually I'm not using double damage, just +1D to damage if the attack succeeds by at least 5 points- i.e. you get lucky and both shots/weapons hit the target. But it's still just 1 damage roll. (I was going for a "fewer rolls = better" theme in my combat rules.)

I agree that adding a bonus to attack doesn't really seem right if you also get two damage rolls.

Ankhanu wrote:
There's a reason why it [paired-weapon fighting] is not a common fighting style in the real world.

At the risk of splitting hairs, derailing the thread, and having you think I'm picking on you (which I'm not)... in times when people lived or died by an army's melee skills, a paired sword-and-shield armament was fairly common (for those who could afford/acquire it). Rather than writing separate rules for such a case - and I did have a character do this at one point - I wrote my paired-weapon rules to allow it: a small shield is considered a weapon for purposes of making a Melee Parry attempt, and gets the +1D paired-weapon bonus if the character also has a shield or one-handed weapon in the other hand. (A particularly large shield may also give a cover bonus or whatever, but that's completely off-topic.)
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubtBreak wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

Actually I'm not using double damage, just +1D to damage if the attack succeeds by at least 5 points- i.e. you get lucky and both shots/weapons hit the target. But it's still just 1 damage roll. (I was going for a "fewer rolls = better" theme in my combat rules.)

I agree that adding a bonus to attack doesn't really seem right if you also get two damage rolls.

What if the two weapons are different, for example, a vibroblade (Str+3D) and a knife (Str+1D)?

DoubtBreak wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:
There's a reason why it [paired-weapon fighting] is not a common fighting style in the real world.

At the risk of splitting hairs, derailing the thread, and having you think I'm picking on you (which I'm not)... in times when people lived or died by an army's melee skills, a paired sword-and-shield armament was fairly common (for those who could afford/acquire it). Rather than writing separate rules for such a case - and I did have a character do this at one point - I wrote my paired-weapon rules to allow it: a small shield is considered a weapon for purposes of making a Melee Parry attempt, and gets the +1D paired-weapon bonus if the character also has a shield or one-handed weapon in the other hand. (A particularly large shield may also give a cover bonus or whatever, but that's completely off-topic.)

I dunno, defending with a shield and with a weapon are a bit different in practice and effect. I do like a shield offering a +1D parry bonus, but not so big on it with a weapon. I could see a +1D to parry with two weapons, if both weapons are used in the parry, however, it would also open up the combatant to attacks other than the one specifically being parried, which might serve to negate the bonus in various circumstances (or perhaps just give the attacker a nice + modifier to their attack).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"At the risk of splitting hairs, derailing the thread, and having you think I'm picking on you (which I'm not)"
No no, no chance of that, we're discussing the pros and cons of various ideas... you're not picking on me, you're responding to me. It's all good Smile Now, if you call me a jerk for disagreeing with you, that might be different, haha Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my own games, I've just treated two weapon fighting as flavour text to make descriptions more interesting. I haven't imposed any special rules for two weapons, off handedness, or what have you; two attacks follows the normal rules for two attacks, whether using two weapons of one. It keeps things simple (WEG's strength) and streamlined.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Difference being that the combined effort is a result of two+ beings focusing their efforts on a single task. Two weapon fighting, one mind is being split between two tasks that have a similar goal.

These are very different concepts.

Very true. Also combined actions are all you can do in a round other than dodge/parry. With dual wielding yoiu can attack as many times as you want to assuming you have the D to do so.

Quote:
That depends entirely on how you think about paired-weapon fighting. (And, I suppose, on how strictly you interpret "one action" in a combat round.) In my mind, it's not a matter of making two attacks at once, but of making one attack that uses two weapons.

If I may use your words- these are very different concepts.

Good point as well. BUT i see more 'dual wielding' occuring so they can attack Multiple opponents at the same time rather than for 'scizorring' their paired swords into an opponent. Heck i might regard that as more of a special maneuver than dual wielding.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since shields came up, here's what I've done: A proper shield or its equivalent may be used in conjunction with the Melee Parry skill (or for those that have done away with the Parry skills, Melee Combat) as a reaction roll without incurring one-hand or off-hand penalties (only when parrying with the shield; if you decide to bash someone with the shield, you suffer the penalties).
DoubtBreak
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize in advance for making this so long:

Ankhanu wrote:
What if the two weapons are different, for example, a vibroblade (Str+3D) and a knife (Str+1D)?

To be completely honest, that is one area where my rules are a little bit inadequate. From one point of view, you could simply say that the addition of the second weapon hitting as well gives a +1D to the damage roll, even if that second weapon is weaker. However, I took the opposite stance and said that the character has to use the lower damage, in a case like that- this was a quick and imperfect way of preventing someone from trying to wield a masterfully crafted vibrosword in one hand, and a sharpened piece of plastic in the other, just to get the paired-weapon bonuses. So actually, if you have any suggestions on that, I'd love to hear it.

Ankhanu wrote:
I could see a +1D to parry with two weapons, if both weapons are used in the parry, however, it would also open up the combatant to attacks other than the one specifically being parried, which might serve to negate the bonus in various circumstances (or perhaps just give the attacker a nice + modifier to their attack).

Again, I think it has to do with the way we're looking at paired-weapon actions, and actions in general... in terms of parrying, I was going by the idea that having a second weapon makes it easier for the wielder to keep himself/herself in a position where one blade or the other could be used to stop an incoming attack, rather than literally using both weapons in a single parrying motion.

Ankhanu wrote:
I haven't imposed any special rules for two weapons, off handedness, or what have you; two attacks follows the normal rules for two attacks, whether using two weapons of one. It keeps things simple (WEG's strength) and streamlined.

And there's a lot of good reasons to keep it that way. I actually didn't write up paired-weapon rules until one of my players wanted to spice up a character by adding some paired-weapon fighting, and was willing to pay some extra character points for a few bonuses in that area.

Ankhanu wrote:
you're not picking on me, you're responding to me. It's all good Smile Now, if you call me a jerk for disagreeing with you, that might be different, haha Wink

Oops... did I forget to mention that everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot? Laughing Just kidding. This is one place where people seem to know the difference between defending a point of view and picking a fight.

garhkal wrote:
BUT i see more 'dual wielding' occuring so they can attack Multiple opponents at the same time rather than for 'scizorring' their paired swords into an opponent.

Yeah, I should have definitely specified that in my first post... simultaneous attacks to different targets are definitely a different situation than a paired-weapon attack against one opponent.

Matthias777 wrote:
A proper shield or its equivalent may be used ... without incurring one-hand or off-hand penalties (only when parrying with the shield;

Oooh, good call on the one-hand and off-hand penalties. That was how I had intended it, but never thought to actually specify those. Thanks.
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubtBreak wrote:

Ankhanu wrote:

To be completely honest, that is one area where my rules are a little bit inadequate. From one point of view, you could simply say that the addition of the second weapon hitting as well gives a +1D to the damage roll, even if that second weapon is weaker. However, I took the opposite stance and said that the character has to use the lower damage, in a case like that- this was a quick and imperfect way of preventing someone from trying to wield a masterfully crafted vibrosword in one hand, and a sharpened piece of plastic in the other, just to get the paired-weapon bonuses. So actually, if you have any suggestions on that, I'd love to hear it.

Go with the lower damage value. That would solve it easy. If you have a sword and a knife and you want to use both, you wont be swinging the sword as hard, trying to get in with the knife. so lower value + 1D perhaps?

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I handle it, in case anyone is curious.

First off, Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting are not easy to do, thus just getting started in the business of attempting it is generally worth more effort than most characters are willing to put in. The penalties to attempting it generally outweigh the bonuses until the character has spent quite of time training (spending CPs to raise skills).

The Bad News:
Fighting With Two Weapons: Attempting to wield two weapons at once is difficult and automatically imposes a -4D penalty to all combat skills relating to actions involving those skills for that combat round. This includes Brawling Parry and Melee Parry, but not Dodge. This penalty is calculated before MAPs.

Using Your Off-Hand: Everyone has a handedness. When attempting to do things with your off-hand (for instance if your main hand was severed, injured, or stuck in a door) you suffer a -2D penalty to all skill rolls that involve using your hands.

Ambidexterity: The character is equally adept at using either of their hands, favoring neither. This special ability halves the dice penalty for fighting with two weapons (dropping it to -2D). In addition the character no longer suffers any penalty when using their off-hand by itself. All droids are considered to be ambidextrous. This special ability costs 35CPs to purchase.

The Good News:
Attacking With Two-Weapon Fighting: The character is permitted to attack twice before any MAPs are calculated (once for each weapon, rolled separately). This signifies that both attacks are happening and have been planned without the attacker needing to separate their concentration. MAPs for dodges or parries made prior to the characters own attacks are still applied to their skill rolls however.

The difficulty of both attack rolls is always 1) the highest difficulty of the weapons used +5, or 2) the opponents parry/dodge roll +5.

Characters using Lightsaber/Sith Sword Combat must split thier Sense and Control dice between each lightsaber. They may split their dice however they choose. So if a Jedi has a Sense skill of 6D he may allocate 2D to his on-hand attack and 4D in his off-hand attack. Two-Weapon penalties and MAPs apply to these pools as per normal rules. The Jedi may reallocate dice at the beginning of every round, but may not change it until the round ends. If one of the weapons is not a lightsaber then the Jedi may only add half (round down) is normal Sense and Control pools to any attack and damage rolls.

Example: Bantha Bob is wielding a vibroblade (Diff 15) and a lightsaber (diff 20). To strike Darth Garth (who isn't dodging for sake of this example) he would need a 25+ on each skill roll. Had Darth Garth decided to dodge then Bantha Bob's new difficulty number would have been whatever Darth Garth rolled +5.

Off-Hand Parry: Because of the advantage of having another weapon to intercede incoming attacks anyone using Two-Weapon Fighting gains a +5 bonus to their parry rolls. If the hero/villain uses a full defense action increase this bonus to +10.

These rules do not account for semantics (weapon sizes, or weights) or for any fancy styles created around the galaxy that involve turning two-weapon fighting into an art form. However, once a character becomes skilled at it they are not only a force to be rekoned with on a battlefield, and a wonderment to picture in the Mind's Eye during fight scenes.

As you can see I'm not as generous when it comes to handing out bonuses to damage or extra dice just because someone decided to pick up an extra weapon. The technique of fighting with two weapons is not, never has been, and never will be an easy thing. Most martial artisits who learn to do it take an average of 5-8 years to become talented at it and even longer to 'master' it.

"The boy is plain dagnasty evil!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revenant wrote:

Ambidexterity: The character is equally adept at using either of their hands, favoring neither. This special ability halves the dice penalty for fighting with two weapons (dropping it to -2D). In addition the character no longer suffers any penalty when using their off-hand by itself. All droids are considered to be ambidextrous. This special ability costs 35CPs to purchase.

Or perhaps omnidexterous if they have more than two appendages they can use to grasp weapons.

How would these rolls apply to aliens that have more than the standard two arms? Ive often assumed if an alien had four arms (and didn't have any specific ambidexterity rules like the Troig) then they had a dominant side and a uhhh off handed side. So if for instance they were right sided they could weild a pair of weapons (They would hve to be the same weapon like a pair of vibroblades) on their right side and this gave them a +1D bonus to hit and damage for no penalty. I basically assume that both arms follow the exact same motions bringing more of the weapon's surface area to bear on the target.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Revenant
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Or perhaps omnidexterous if they have more than two appendages they can use to grasp weapons.

Omnidexterity would be perfect multi-hand fighting and even droids must allocate memory resources to 'concentrate' on what they're doing. However, they have no need to favor any particular hand so they may switch back and forth with relative ease.

I'm sure it's possible to construct a droid designed for omnidexterity, but like I said, that’s semantics and I didn't touch base on that too much.

Hell, if you think about it, if you want a droid to have omnidexterity, just say so, it's your game and <poof> they got it. Heh.

Quote:
How would these rolls apply to aliens that have more than the standard two arms?

Apply them as written, but for each extra limb involved apply an additional -2D penalty to all skill rolls. So a creature with four limbs that strikes with all four would suffer a -8D penalty (-4D + -2D + -2D). The Ambidexterity ability would half this to -4D.

Creatures with four of more limbs may purchase Ambidexterity (called Multidexterity) for only 20CPs. Their brains are more adaptable to multi-limb actions.

Creatures with four or more limbs may apply an additional +5 bonus to their parry rolls for every limb above two. This increases to a +10 if the defender uses a full defense action. This bonus only applies if all limbs are wielding a melee weapon.

Quote:
Ive often assumed if an alien had four arms (and didn't have any specific ambidexterity rules like the Troig) then they had a dominant side and a uhhh off handed side.

Most likely they favor an 'upper' and 'lower' pair of arms rather than a 'side'. As such, perhaps all multi-limbed creatures are ‘ambidextrous’ with thier upper limbs? Only when they try to make use of all their arms at once is when things get difficult. Let's face it; it would be a very clumsy and random fighting style flailing four or more weapons around trying to attack your opponent but preventing them from getting in each of the other's path. There would be too much happening at once, too much there that could get in the way.

You'll notice in Episode 3, Grievous, although he had four lightsabers only used about two at a time keeping the others out of the path of his attacks. Mind you I'm no expert, I don't have four arms to test any of my theories, but I am trying to look at it logically and objectively.

Blasters would be a snap, point, shoot, repeat as needed. But when it comes to melee combat there are too many variables that create 'clutter'. To keep it simple I'd limit it to 2-4 weapons capable of being of any use at one time.

"The boy is plain dagnasty evil!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Orion
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoubtBreak wrote:

Ankhanu wrote:

If your still looking for suggestions, I have one. When dealing with weapons of uneven damages, find the difference in pips and multiply by, say 2, then add the total to the +5 needed to gain the +1D damage bonuse. So using the above weapons as an example: there is 6 pips (2D) difference between them, multiplied by 2 gets us 12, added to the +5 needed for the extra damage gets us +17 to the difficulty number to get the smaller weapon to hit and deliver +1D to the damage.

Also, I think I would eliminate the +1D to the to-hit roll when weapons have greater than 1D difference in their damages, or at least drop it down to a +1, it does allow for new ways to attack when compared to fighting with only one weapon.

Think of this as; you fight with the main weapon until you can create an opening in your opponents defense to use the off hand one.
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does everyone think of this:

Two Weapon Fighting (A)
Specializations: Specific weapon type (vibrodaggers, vibrosword)
Does not add to melee combat skill. Skill may not exceed the player's melee combat skill.
Two Weapon Fighting is the "melee combat" skill used whenever the character wants to use two single handed weapons at the same time.
Characters with Two Weapon Fighting can choose one of the following:
Full attack: Against one opponent, a character can use both swords to attack a single opponent, getting +2D to attack but cannot do any other action that round. If the attack beats the roll by 1-6, roll one damage, 7+, roll damage for both weapons.
Full Defense: A character gets +2D to defend, but cannot do any other action.
Attack and Parry: A character can attack with one weapon and defend with the other. The player gets +1D to both rolls and this counts as a single action for multiple action penalties

Two Lightsaber Fighting (A)
Specializations: Double Bladed or two lightsabers.
Does not add to lightsaber skill. Skill may not exceed the player's lightsaber skill.
Two Weapon Fighting is the "melee combat" skill used whenever the character wants to use two lightsabers at the same time or a double bladed lightsaber.
Characters with Two Lightsaber Fighting can choose one of the following:
Full attack: Against one opponent, a character can use both swords to attack a single opponent, getting +2D to attack but cannot do any other action that round. If the attack beats the roll by 1-6, roll one damage, 7+, roll damage for both weapons.
Full Defense: A character gets +2D to defend, but cannot do any other action.
Attack and Parry: A character can attack with one weapon and defend with the other. The player gets +1D to both rolls and this counts as a single action for multiple action penalties.

I tried to balance the difficulty of learning to use two weapons with the difficulty for an opponent to defend or attack against someone using two weapons. Getting an adavanced skill high enough to be a benefit is expensive, but specializations can make it easier.

The Two lightsaber version has the additional cost of getting the force skills high enough to train with Lightsaber Combat up to make the difficulty without injury (definitely a skill for advanced Jedi only)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: