The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

[Requesting Aid] Revised Force Lightning
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> [Requesting Aid] Revised Force Lightning Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did see dooku use the choke on Obi in Ep 3..
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, true. Maybe dooku learned his lesson after obi wan pwned his force lightning the last time they met.
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Hows about this for a poss new write up.

Force Lightning
Control and Alter skill
Control roll 10 + target's perception (or control) roll
Alter 5 + target's control or perception roll

This power is one of the few dark side powers that are an active manifestation of the dark emotions of rage and hate, in that the dark sider's anger literally forms up blackened lightning bolts that shoot from their hands to the target(s).
Someone so hit (power successfully used) takes 3d base damage. This damage increases cumulatively each round the power is maintained based on the difference between the target number needed and the roll to activate (Control side)
Cont beats diff by
1-6, adds +1 pip per round maintained
7-14, adds +2 pips per round maintained
15-21, adds +1d per round maintained
22-28, adds +1d+1 per round maintained
29+ adds +1d+2 per round maintained.
In addition to the damage, target's are affected by intense pain as if the power Inflict Pain had been successfully used (cannot perform any actions due to pain as long as power is maintained, and 1 round after)..
Lastly due to the kinetic impact of the lightning, targets are hurled back 2 meters per full D of alter the dark jedi has.

WARNING this power causes an immediate gaining of a dark side point for activating it, and per round maintained.

Note: Force users who are targeted can substitute their light saber skill for their control roll to deflect it, but if they miss, they GET NO control roll to try and suck any up.
Jedi who are also masters of Vappad, may instead substitute their Alter skill for their Control roll, but need to make an immediate Willpower roll (difficulty of 20) or gain a dark side point themselves, due to the fueling of emotions.

How's that?

I can't believe it took me months to get around to this, ha-hem.

Looks pretty good just from glancing at it, a couple amendments at the top of my head:
The caster may choose to leave damage at any particular level once reached.
Notes:
Electronic devices subject to the current explode if the damage exceeds their object's armor check (based on material hardness.)
Droids, though they are not subject to Inflict Pain, are subject to Force Lightning as if it were an ion bolt of equivalent power.
Exposure of 3 or more rounds causes nerve damage that is permanent without bacta (treat as a disease, -1D to -2D to particular actions at periodic intervals.) Prolonged exposure (5 or more rounds) causes severe nerve and skeletal damage that requires extensive medical attention to address (Luke had this issue in Truce at Bakura, as I recall, following his cooking. Again, treat as a neurological condition.)

I may want to look over it in greater detail and throw some numbers around. I'll include it in a write up I've got.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure i would treat it as ion damage for droids..
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the inductive current would mess up surface electronics which would have a similar effect to Inflict Pain, I figured - I'd be curious to examine this possibility a bit more.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not convinced that Vapaad has anything to do with reflecting the Force lightning. Has this been established in canon (the word "vapaad" or "form 7" is uttered nowhere in the movies). Also, Yoda does it with just his hands (i.e. The Force). How do we account for this?

I would tend to think that control should be used as an "attack" roll oposed by defender's reaction skill (dodge, lightsaber, etc). If the attacker hits, roll damage against strength (not control/perception etc, unless the defender uses absorb/dissipate).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I'm really not convinced that Vapaad has anything to do with reflecting the Force lightning. Has this been established in canon (the word "vapaad" or "form 7" is uttered nowhere in the movies). Also, Yoda does it with just his hands (i.e. The Force). How do we account for this?

I would tend to think that control should be used as an "attack" roll oposed by defender's reaction skill (dodge, lightsaber, etc). If the attacker hits, roll damage against strength (not control/perception etc, unless the defender uses absorb/dissipate).

Always tricky to translate what happens in the movies into the game, without wanting to change the rules.

But, Force Lightning does not deal that much damage (half control), which may balance out the fact that to A/D it you must roll equal to Moderate+the attacks damage roll. The part with doing it with the hands might just be style, compare to Vader 'blocking' blaster shots with - his hand.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rright. Which is exactly why I think control should not oppose either of the attacker's rolls: darksiders tend to use force lightning against other force users as a PRIMARY means of attack (they only draw their sabers if they determine Force lightning to be ineffective). The only exception is when Mace showed up to arrest Palpy, lightsaber drawn and ready. Given Palpy would know that Windu wouldnt fall for the Force Lightning, might as well go straight to the lightaber.
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wonder if Alter should be viable as a defense. Aside from Control bring a mite overused, it seemed as if Yoda was stopping the attack before his body (where Control lies) could take the shots
Of course, this doesn't mean Control shouldn't be used once you've been struck..
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

But, Force Lightning does not deal that much damage (half control), which may balance out the fact that to A/D it you must roll equal to Moderate+the attacks damage roll. The part with doing it with the hands might just be style, compare to Vader 'blocking' blaster shots with - his hand.

As pointed out, FL does half (in modern times) or full (in tales of the jedi, or was it dark empire).. So not all the books agree.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jachra wrote:
I also wonder if Alter should be viable as a defense. Aside from Control bring a mite overused, it seemed as if Yoda was stopping the attack before his body (where Control lies) could take the shots
Of course, this doesn't mean Control shouldn't be used once you've been struck..

In my opinion, if you're not using Absorb/Dissipate, then you don't get to roll control to resist. Think about it: using control as the standard defense is BETTER than Absorb/Dissipate, since you only have to match the user's alter roll.

The way I like to run it is like this: since Force lightning is a corruption of the Force, if you successfully absorb/dissipate it, you gain a FP, as you have brought the Force back into balance (or, successfully unravel the distortion).
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Jachra wrote:

In my opinion, if you're not using Absorb/Dissipate, then you don't get to roll control to resist. Think about it: using control as the standard defense is BETTER than Absorb/Dissipate, since you only have to match the user's alter roll.

The way I like to run it is like this: since Force lightning is a corruption of the Force, if you successfully absorb/dissipate it, you gain a FP, as you have brought the Force back into balance (or, successfully unravel the distortion).

That latter sounds insane. ^_^
Really, I think it's more likely just an expression of rage, and all uses of the Dark Side are corruption. Giving Jedi a supply of FP for doing absolutely nothing is probably not a good idea.

You might have a point about Absorb/Dissipate Energy.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to me. In my opinion, Force lightning should deal full alter damage vs. straight strength (no armor bonus, no control roll). Since rolling control to soak up the lightning would make Force lightning worthless. But, if the Jedi must BEAT the alter roll by at least moderate difficulty when using force lightning or else suffer it's full effects, there is a risk involved, but there is incentive to take that risk.

Absorb/dissipate is otherwise a nearly useless power, since it the difficulty puts it not only out of reach for most characters, but your chances of escaping harm are better just using conventional skills such as dodge or using some basic armor to soak damage.

Using absorb/dissipate carries much greater risk than deflecting with a lightsaber. Therefore, there should be a payoff for pulling it off.

Also, how often are your PCs encountering opponents who fling Force lightning at them?

Just my two cents.
Jachra
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Not to me. In my opinion, Force lightning should deal full alter damage vs. straight strength (no armor bonus, no control roll). Since rolling control to soak up the lightning would make Force lightning worthless. But, if the Jedi must BEAT the alter roll by at least moderate difficulty when using force lightning or else suffer it's full effects, there is a risk involved, but there is incentive to take that risk.

Absorb/dissipate is otherwise a nearly useless power, since it the difficulty puts it not only out of reach for most characters, but your chances of escaping harm are better just using conventional skills such as dodge or using some basic armor to soak damage.

Using absorb/dissipate carries much greater risk than deflecting with a lightsaber. Therefore, there should be a payoff for pulling it off.

Also, how often are your PCs encountering opponents who fling Force lightning at them?

Just my two cents.

Absorb dissipate is ridiculously useful, for being able to allow the Jedi to operate in high radiation/high heat areas alone. I'm not disagreeing that it should be a necessity to suck up Lightning, though, that seems perfectly acceptable. Indeed, my thought here is that the defense against Force Lightning is ALTER, not Control, but once you're hit only Absorb/Dissipate would work.

Not that often, but the idea is still preposterous. There's a set way to gain new Force Points and it represents a very nice system, where you're rewarded for heroism, not for being a poor conductor to electricity. Not to mention, I don't honestly think your logic here is workable. Maybe if the Jedi reached out to the source and snuffed out the power before it began? But even then, that's not worth giving a player a Force point unless it's a Dramatically Heroic Moment.
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jachra wrote:
There's a set way to gain new Force Points and it represents a very nice system, where you're rewarded for heroism, not for being a poor conductor to electricity.

Laughing
I should make this my new quote! I love it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: