The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Scale System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Scale System Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Scale System Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
[
In fact, for the Artillery rules, it might be convenient to use flat damage values for targets to resist damage, for simplicity's sake, if nothing else.

I can see that, its a flat damage to all in the 'zone'.
LegendaryExGamer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
THIS LINK RIGHT HERE

[snip]tl;dr[/snip]
Yes, but not that vulnerable. At +2D, a Corellian Corvette only has a Hull of 6D at Starfighter Scale, which means it's in the threat range of a single starfighter firing fire-linked proton torpedoes, never mind an entire squadron of them.

On a general read through, your system looks far more complicated than anything I would want to include in my game. I'm sure it works for your group, but for a group coming at it cold, it would be like having to learn a whole new system.

You ROCK!!!!!!

Thank you! could have been too many Knob Creek and Cokes!
LegendaryExGamer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying use my system. I'm saying think about it. That's all.

It's meant to be the an, in depth, enhancement of the core rules. Advancing everything to a more mature level. For us older gamers... most have eaten it up, and the rest... like the school teacher (I have no idea how he teaches the future of the world and would never want my kids in his class) who didn't realize that he could talk to his fellow peers in the room because his character was a Wookie and no one spoke Wookie (actually, he never asked, 3 people understood his language out of a group of 9).

SIX MONTHS LATER

He tells us "I am not enjoying the game because no one understands me"

3 people speak up "We all understand Wookie, one of us speaks it fluently"

I say... I almost want to embellish with a look of confusion and drool running down my face "Dude, we are all friends, why didn't you just talk to us?"

I'm 43, he's 43... West End Games would cringe in horror if they were still around to see how their "complex" gaming system of Dice and pips horrifies adults to this day!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Scale System Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
[
In fact, for the Artillery rules, it might be convenient to use flat damage values for targets to resist damage, for simplicity's sake, if nothing else.

I can see that, its a flat damage to all in the 'zone'.

I was actually thinking flat damage for objects to resist. Characters and their vehicles would still have to roll dice to soak, but other, random objects (buildings, trees, etc) caught in the blast radius would have a simple, static Soak value vs. the blast radius damage.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LegendaryExGamer wrote:

One thing that intrigues me is the concept of armor on starships. No doubt it already exists, as part of the Hull dice value, but the Starship Damage chart doesn't allow for a reduction in Hull strength depending on damage inflicted, with which I disagree.

However, rather than a points system, I'd be more inclined to port over the RAW's rules for personal armor being reduced in effectiveness if the wearer takes a hit for damage.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest that too.. As a Ship takes damage, apply the personal armor penalties to it..

However they will have to get modified, as it stands a suit of armor that is severely damaged is useless (and thus no longer protects)..

So maybe -1 pip to hull for light damage
-2 pips for heavy and -1d for severely damaged.
LegendaryExGamer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
LegendaryExGamer wrote:

One thing that intrigues me is the concept of armor on starships. No doubt it already exists, as part of the Hull dice value, but the Starship Damage chart doesn't allow for a reduction in Hull strength depending on damage inflicted, with which I disagree.

However, rather than a points system, I'd be more inclined to port over the RAW's rules for personal armor being reduced in effectiveness if the wearer takes a hit for damage.

The implied Armor code is an assumed value. It is not a pool of resistance dice all on it's own. There is no reduction of pips to the codes until you deplete the Shield, Armor and Hull values. Then, the system resolves more like traditional D6 damage rules. Typically, if you're Hull points are gone, that section of the ship detonates rather quickly.

I posed the links for the books under the original post for the announcement of our third edition, you can grab a copy there.
LegendaryExGamer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I was going to suggest that too.. As a Ship takes damage, apply the personal armor penalties to it..

However they will have to get modified, as it stands a suit of armor that is severely damaged is useless (and thus no longer protects)..

Character Armor suits typically resolve as usual. Character scale, unless otherwise noted (for special circumstances) is a pure, traditional, dice resistance pool. It resolves faster for character level operations.

Resistance points are for more flavor and more endurance in a slugging match between vehicles and starships.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

My thinking was more parallel to the RAW, with
    Lightly Damaged = -1 pip*
    Heavily Damaged = -1D
    Severely Damaged = -2D**

*Because a ship can be Lightly Damaged many times without the Damage level increasing, I'd allow the pips to stack up to a maximum of -2D

**The RAW for personal armor is that Severely Damaged armor is useless but can be repaired, but that doesn't transfer over well to starships without a concrete armor value to start with.

If a ship's Hull is reduced to 0D by Armor Penalties, I'd rule that it isn't allowed to roll to resist damage at all...

I'd probably also include a variation on LXG's ship section rule, but divide it into fire arcs, so that if a hit on the aft section of a ship results in Heavy Damage, the -1D Armor penalty will only apply to attacks from the Aft Arc, and so on and so forth...

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to feel that scale differences should be represented by targeting rules rather than by dice bonuses.

When attacking a larger scale target, the attacker should e required to select a hit location (such as an X-wing targetint a laser turret) and resolve damage to that portion of the larger target.

A character attacking a speeder would select the thruster or windshield, etc and resolve damage to the system in question. If trying to shoot the pilot, just add a small penalty for shooting through the glass (or give the pilot a bonus to soak or whatever).

When shooting at a smaller scale target, the fire control system should offset any dodge bonus gained by the target, but, some systems ould not apply below a certain scale. For example, a starfighter shooting at a person should not receive the benefits of fire control if firing its ship-to-ship weaponry. If it has air to ground weaponry, hen that system can be a different scale to start with (one that is appropriate for the intended target) but not applicable to certain other kinds of targets.

I don't have any write ups just yet, but give me some time to hash it out.

This would help to explain the difficulty of using a starfigjter scal weapon to hit a character scale (2-meter) target: the computer just can't do it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something to be said for that. After all, during the starfighter attack on the Death Star, for example, the starfighters were obviously managing to inflict damage to specific portions of the Death Star's exterior without having to roll DS-Scale damage.

I'm not prepared to abandon my system in favor of this without some compelling reasoning, but there should at least be better methods of smaller craft targeting specific areas on a larger ship to inflict heavier damage.

LegendaryExGamer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys are missing the point of the hull value system. The starfighters in the death star trench run did inflict damage by targeting precises locations. No singular starfighter could do significant damage to the Death Star itself. However, the gun batteries, and if you're a jedi, you might know where banks of fire control are under the skin of the object.

So, in a 24D scale difference, you're telling me that you think a Starfighter can affect a Death Star object? Not possible. I believe it's actually 24 from a Capital to a Death Star, and 30D difference between starfighters.

Thus, if you had enough fire power, enough ships and starfighters, in my system, you can tear apart a Death Star. It would take you a hellishly long time, but it's possible. It's been tested, and it works.

In a traditional D-CODE rules all system, well, it's just crippled. It's old thinking.

Take for Example an MC80 against an Imperial I. 4D or 5D guns against 7D Hull & 3D Shields. Same thing goes for the Imp I, 5D guns vs 6D hull and 3D shields, can't do anything.

Technically, unless you roll well a Tie Fighter cannot destroy an X-Wing, definitely not something like an E-Wing.

Also, Walkers posing a significant threat to capital ships is ridiculous.

I don't think in a linear path, I look at other mechanics that have existed across the genre that have worked and incorporated them into the game system. D6 has it's limitations and Starship Combat is one of them. It's an amazing game system for showing character growth, for dynamic combats and performing cinematic, multiple actions. However, there's never been any depth to starship operations. Other than a couple status modifiers and no real variance between damage codes. However, if you're taking quantifiable hull damage (couple hundred or thousand points of it), you know how screwed you are.

You can always target locations. If you haven't read the book I put up then you don't realize the theme that is pervasive throughout. I always say to feel free to change, to modify, to throw out and to just run the game however you want to.

Use my rules, great. Don't use them, that's fine too. However, they are an non-linear approach to an old, dead, game system that everyone was bored as hell with because nothing out there presented anything new, nothing out there truly challenges the core concepts of the game system. Nothing makes you think. Because D6 is too simple to be taken seriously.

We put together a modern overlay, a power gaming face lift perhaps. Because what I've seen here are a bunch of gamers locked in a cycle where people have been approaching me and telling me it's hard to get their Control, Sense or Alter to 5D... Can no one handle heroic gameplay? Or are the typical GM's just crippling their players to maintain control?

Roleplaying is for the gamers, not the Game Master. You cater to your audience, not the other way around.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LegendaryExGamer wrote:
I think you guys are missing the point of the hull value system. The starfighters in the death star trench run did inflict damage by targeting precises locations. No singular starfighter could do significant damage to the Death Star itself. However, the gun batteries, and if you're a jedi, you might know where banks of fire control are under the skin of the object.

I think you are missing the point of what we are saying. I can't speak for Naaman, but my point is that there is no definitive mechanism under the RAW to allow starfighters to make precision strikes against specific Hull features of a larger scale target so as to actually inflict damage on the Starship Damage Chart. The effect can still be achieved by using optional rules, but must be pieced together from various sources rather than being codified as part of the core damage system.

Quote:
So, in a 24D scale difference, you're telling me that you think a Starfighter can affect a Death Star object? Not possible. I believe it's actually 24 from a Capital to a Death Star, and 30D difference between starfighters.

12D and 18D, actually. The point is that, per the RAW, an X-Wing trying to take out, say, a turbolaser tower on the Death Star's surface would have to beat the Death Star's 33D (15D Hull + 18D scale modifier) soak roll. This is unrealistic, and does not accurately reflect the action we see in the films.

Quote:
Take for Example an MC80 against an Imperial I. 4D or 5D guns against 7D Hull & 3D Shields. Same thing goes for the Imp I, 5D guns vs 6D hull and 3D shields, can't do anything.

You are aware of the coordination bonus rules, correct? Big ships do damage by combining the fire of multiple cannon to stack bonuses to their damage and/or fire control.

Quote:
Technically, unless you roll well a Tie Fighter cannot destroy an X-Wing, definitely not an E-Wing.

That is where the optional damage rules from RoE come into play, providing a damage bonus based on how well the attacker rolled to hit (I use the +1 to Damage per every 3 points of success). I also use a house-stat version of the TIE with rapid fire blaster cannon that can boost their damage at close ranges.

Quote:

There is a scene in AOTC that disproves your statement. I resolved this contradiction by moving Walkers up to +8D on my Scale system, putting them 2D above starfighters and only 2D below the smaller capital ships (Frigate-Scale at +10D, with anything from the Victory SD and up in Destroyer Scale at +12D)

Quote:
I don't think in a linear path, I look at other mechanics that have existed across the genre that have worked and incorporated them into the game system. D6 has it's limitations and Starship Combat is one of them. It's an amazing game system for showing character growth, for dynamic combats and performing cinematic, multiple actions. However, there's never been any depth to starship operations. Other than a couple status modifiers and no real variance between damage codes. However, if you're taking quantifiable hull damage (couple hundred or thousand points of it), you know how screwed you are.

You can always target locations. If you haven't read the book I put up then you don't realize the theme that is pervasive throughout. I always say to feel free to change, to modify, to throw out and to just run the game however you want to.

Use my rules, great. Don't use them, that's fine too. However, they are an non-linear approach to an old, dead, game system that everyone was bored as hell with because nothing out there presented anything new, nothing out there truly challenges the core concepts of the game system. Nothing makes you think. Because D6 is too simple to be taken seriously.

We put together a modern overlay, a power gaming face lift perhaps. Because what I've seen here are a bunch of gamers locked in a cycle where people have been approaching me and telling me it's hard to get their Control, Sense or Alter to 5D... Can no one handle heroic gameplay?

You're new here, so as a courtesy, I will simply say that I find your attitude rather offensive. The Rancor Pit is one of the longest running, most popular Star Wars D6 forums in existence. We are here because we know and love this system. There is nothing wrong with having and promoting new ideas; that's what we do here, and we welcome new input. But when that input comes with an attitude of superiority, as in "here's my new system; it's better than your useless old rules, so you should all switch over," people tend to stop listening.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree the idea that roleplaying is for the players. I have done away almost completely with the notion thatt rules-based game balance is even relevant to the enjoyment of the game.

Rather, let balance be achieved via situational variables. Let the players SKILL SELECTION (and other choices, such as equipment, etc) dictate balance, rather than the VOLUME of dice he's rolling.

As for the cinematic expression of dice roll results, if we are going down that path, why have mechanics in the first place? Jus let each player say, "I do this or that." And then let GM arbitrate the results according to what would make a" good story."

There is a certain satisfaction with making the roll that your entire batle plan hinges upon at the critical moment.

Power gaming? Not me. Though I am proba ly a min-maxer: its a mentality I apply to my whole life, incidentally, and I find it fun to "min-max" character skill and equipment combos... kinda like solving a puzzle that noone else ever knew existed.
LegendaryExGamer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
LegendaryExGamer wrote:

I think you are missing the point of what we are saying. I can't speak for Naaman, but my point is that there is no definitive mechanism under the RAW to allow starfighters to make precision strikes against specific Hull features of a larger scale target so as to actually inflict damage on the Starship Damage Chart. The effect can still be achieved by using optional rules, but must be pieced together from various sources rather than being codified as part of the core damage system.
- I've always thought of Turrets and View Ports, and smaller objects as being something that's GM discretion. So, if you look at the Scale as the Entirety for something... You're looking at it in a linear fashion. There could be 300 or more turbolaser emplacements on the facing of a Death Star... If you want to have at them, go for it. Any fighter should logically be able to target any weapon emplacement and destroy it.

Here's the trick- If it's a Turbolaser Emplacement, it's probably Capital Scale, which means a 6D difference in traditional dice codes. If it's an anti fighter battery, it's likely Starfighter Scale, which is a 1 of 1 lethality ratio when a starfighter is shooing that gunnery station. Now, actually affecting the Death Star itself... You would do some piddly @$$ damage against it's hull but its possible in a point system, but not possible in a D code system unless you layered 6 torpedos on top of one another and with combined damage and targeting a single location, you could blow the s*** out of that 10m area? But the Battlestation would not detonate.

Quote:

12D and 18D, actually. The point is that, per the RAW, an X-Wing trying to take out, say, a turbolaser tower on the Death Star's surface would have to beat the Death Star's 33D (15D Hull + 18D scale modifier) soak roll. This is unrealistic, and does not accurately reflect the action we see in the films.

Again, Turbolasers that deliver Capital Scale Damage are Capital Scale (likely 2D). Turbolasers or gun emplacements that deliver Starfighter Scale Damage are Starfighter Scale (again likely 2D).

Quote:

You are aware of the coordination bonus rules, correct? Big ships do damage by combining the fire of multiple cannon to stack bonuses to their damage and/or fire control.

-You stack Fire in the D6 System, layering batteries and you have a high enough command skill, the opposing ship explodes. It's too easy. Technically, depending upon how you look at it... You could use 3 batteries on a Mon Cal, for combined damage if you make the appropraite Command roll and deliver 12D of damage to the Star Destroyer and it explodes, or in other rules combining fire adds a +1 per gun to damage and the ship still explodes... Not realistic. No matter which spin on combining fire you use, the system fails to handle it in pure D6 Mechanics of just Dice Codes.

Quote:
Technically, unless you roll well a Tie Fighter cannot destroy an X-Wing, definitely not an E-Wing.

That is where the optional damage rules from RoE come into play, providing a damage bonus based on how well the attacker rolled to hit (I use the +1 to Damage per every 3 points of success). I also use a house-stat version of the TIE with rapid fire blaster cannon that can boost their damage at close ranges.

We either use light lethality , 1 per 5 or full lethality 1 for 1 in our games.

Quote:

There is a scene in AOTC that disproves your statement. I resolved this contradiction by moving Walkers up to +8D on my Scale system, putting them 2D above starfighters and only 2D below the smaller capital ships (Frigate-Scale at +10D, with anything from the Victory SD and up in Destroyer Scale at +12D)

Yeah.... It was something like 25 of them using combined fire... That example hardly proves your point.

Quote:

We put together a modern overlay, a power gaming face lift perhaps. Because what I've seen here are a bunch of gamers locked in a cycle where people have been approaching me and telling me it's hard to get their Control, Sense or Alter to 5D... Can no one handle heroic gameplay?

You're new here, so as a courtesy, I will simply say that I find your attitude rather offensive. The Rancor Pit is one of the longest running, most popular Star Wars D6 forums in existence. We are here because we know and love this system. There is nothing wrong with having and promoting new ideas; that's what we do here, and we welcome new input. But when that input comes with an attitude of superiority, as in "here's my new system; it's better than your useless old rules, so you should all switch over," people tend to stop listening.

It's not an attitude of superiority.

I don't care what rules you use, or if you see why we love our rules, your arguments sound linear. Like you're not looking at the core of the game play and saying "You want to shoot a specific location? No problem, it's a capital Scale based gun, so it should have a 2D Capital Scale body strength. Most undefined objects in Star Wars are rated at 2D." I would say that the Glass on the Bridge of a Star Destroyer is also 2D capital, point defense guns would be 2D starfighter scale.

Just because something is Death Star Scale doesn't mean it's guns or view ports are death star scale. The ONLY THING on a Death Star that's Death Star Scale (other than its 30+KM Radius and Mass) is one Superlaser.

It's simple logic

Last edited by LegendaryExGamer on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 11 of 17

Jump to: