The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Several Force Skills in one roll
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Several Force Skills in one roll Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

[quote="Random Numbers"][quote="atgxtg"]
Bren wrote:

Did you write this (on your new computer with a proper keyboard) from the pub by the way?

Sorry. Having PC and keyboard problems. Embarassed

Whoever came up with the slogan "Coke adds life" did not have keyboards in mind.

And the stupid PC keeps switching the keyobard from Japenase layout to US/English layout behind my back.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

According to the RAW a Jedi with 5D control and 3D Sense raising LS Combat in one round is taking two actions so -1MAP and she rolls 4D control vs. moderate and 2D sense vs. easy. We have never made the Jedi wait for the second action; we just charged the MAPs for two actions actions, but I can see why you would read it the way you do.

Again, according to RAW the actions are sequenced. I don't like it, but that is the way it works in 2R&E. And we were comparing the variant rule to the RAW. If you houaserule it to let Jedi raise LS combat during one action that's cool, but it isn't how it works in the RAW.

Bren wrote:

In your example she rolls 3D sense vs. moderate with no MAP, but that is still an action. So unless she has the intitiative she could still be shot before raising the power. And if she takes multiple rounds to raise the power, she is just one big standing target for those mulitiple rounds while waiting to raise LS Combat. That is the point that you say you are missing.

But the same would happen in the RAW. Raising Lightsaber Combat is not considered a reaction in the RAW, so if the other side shots first the Jedi would either need to dodge, rely on the base difficulty not to be hit, or hope to dsoak the damage. But by the RAW the Jedi needs two actions to get lightsaber combat up before he can do a reaction parry.

As far as mutiple turns go, that is RAW too. A Jedi can take multiple turns to raise a power to reduce the MAPs. No, it's not a great situation, but it is a problem that PC Jedi with low force skills run into.

Bren wrote:

Given the above, I don't see any actual advantage to what you are suggesting, aside from rolling the dice one less time.

I'll list them:

1) It wilkl only take 1 action to riase LS combat, rather than two. THat alloows character activate LS combat on thier action and then do a reaction parry when they get shot at. Something they can't do accoring to the RAW. So rather than being shot they can parry.

2) A PC rolling his Sense (3D) vs. a Easy Sense roll is actually easier for the character than making the two seperate rolls. I

3) It eliminates the 4D Moderate Control roll. So the character is more likely to get the power up.

4) It will cost fewr CPs in those situations where a Jedi HAS rto get the power up.

5) THe whole idea of this thread was to role the dice once.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

Whoever came up with the slogan "Coke adds life" did not have keyboards in mind.

And the stupid PC keeps switching the keyobard from Japenase layout to US/English layout behind my back.

I wasn't criticizing. It just looked like you had had a good time. After a few beers it's natural to miss a few characters... Very Happy
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Bren wrote:

Given the above, I don't see any actual advantage to what you are suggesting, aside from rolling the dice one less time.

I'll list them:

1) It wilkl only take 1 action to riase LS combat, rather than two. THat alloows character activate LS combat on thier action and then do a reaction parry when they get shot at. Something they can't do accoring to the RAW. So rather than being shot they can parry.
Yep. We allow that anyway. But you have improved the RAW for Jedi that don't have Danger Sense up.
2) A PC rolling his Sense (3D) vs. a Easy Sense roll is actually easier for the character than making the two seperate rolls.
Perhaps I misunderstood, I thought it was worst skill vs. highest difficulty. That would then be Sense 3D vs Moderate.
3) It eliminates the 4D Moderate Control roll. So the character is more likely to get the power up.
Again, unless I misunderstood it eliminates the Easy roll not the Moderate roll.
4) It will cost fewr CPs in those situations where a Jedi HAS rto get the power up.
I agree that it may.
5) THe whole idea of this thread was to role the dice once.
Well for sure it does that. Wink
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

I wasn't criticizing. It just looked like you had had a good time. After a few beers it's natural to miss a few characters... Very Happy

No, quite the opposite.

My U70 started having bad sector problems that ultimately led to a error 21a blue screen of death situation. Had to wipe/reset drive, reinstall software, and scan/fix HD for bad sectors.

Meanwhile the keyboard kept fighting me on what type it was, and it had one COKE too many, and doesn't work at factory specs at the moment.

BTW, if I've snapped at anyone in the last 24 hours, I aplogize. Embarassed
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
Bren wrote:

I'll list them:

1) .
Yep. We allow that anyway. But you have improved the RAW for Jedi that don't have Danger Sense up.

Which should be most of them. Not every has Danger Sense up all the time. Beides it is one of those problem powers that needs a revamp.

Technically a Jedi with Danger Sense could prevent being shot just by not being there. And BTW, I wonder if Danger Sense is admissible in the Galatic Courts. i.e. "iIn 5 seconds, he WAS going to quikdraw a hold out blaster and shoot me dead! SO I had to cut him in half. Take my word for it, I'm a Jedi."

2) Perhaps I misunderstood, I thought it was worst skill vs. highest difficulty. That would then be Sense 3D vs Moderate.

No, you got that right. My math goof. Embarassed But my point should have been that 3D vs. Moderate isn't much differernt mathematically that 4D vs moderate AND 3D vs Easy.

3)
Again, unless I misunderstood it eliminates the Easy roll not the Moderate roll.

No, you got it right. See how easy it is! Wink

4) I agree that it may.

Yea! Common ground. Probably quicksand but common none the less.

5)
Well for sure it does that. Wink

Gee, it is simple, quick, does what was asked, and gives results reasonable similar to RAW, is easy to use, and doesn't require a major rewrite of the rules.

What else did you want? Wink
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Bren wrote:

Did you write this (on your new computer with a proper keyboard) from the pub by the way?

That actually wasn't my quote. I try to avoid commenting on others typing with the hope that they will forgive my occassional errors in turn.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Gee, it is simple, quick, does what was asked, and gives results reasonable similar to RAW, is easy to use, and doesn't require a major rewrite of the rules.

What else did you want? Wink

More dice rolls?

Or was that more cowbell? Wink
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

That actually wasn't my quote. I try to avoid commenting on others typing with the hope that they will forgive my occassional errors in turn.

Hopefully atgxtg isn't losing any sleep over me trying to be funny...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
Bren wrote:

Hopefully. Wink

Oh, and you weren't trying. Do or do not. There is not try. Laughing
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Random Numbers wrote:
Bren wrote:

Hopefully. Wink

Just call me a padawan comic relief.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
Bren wrote:
Random Numbers wrote:
Bren wrote:

Hopefully. Wink

Just call me a padawan comic relief.

Begin the Clown War has.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Begin the Clown War has.

This cracked me up.

And inspired the notion of a comedic smackdown match between Random's Jar Jar avatar and 3B3-21.
Attack of the Clowns: a pun-ishing battle, a real slap fest, a total crackup...you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll run screaming out of the room! Opening soon in abandoned theaters near you. See it!
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Several Force Skills in one roll Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
atgxtg wrote:
Begin the Clown War has.

This cracked me up.

And inspired the notion of a comedic smackdown match between Random's Jar Jar avatar and 3B3-21.
Attack of the Clowns: a pun-ishing battle, a real slap fest, a total crackup...you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll run screaming out of the room! Opening soon in abandoned theaters near you. See it!

And they really are clowns... I wonder if Lucas really wanted to grow up to be a circus director? Maybe it's going to be Clown Wars, SW EP3.5
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought Episode Two should have been called
Send in the Clones.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: