The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Riot Troopers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Riot Troopers? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it wasn't too over the top as a counter measure and it was nice to see a response to counter the all too typical 'force push the battle droids into the wall and then into a pile of scrap metal and parts' response by the Jedi. I'm not sure the magnetic ceiling would actually work to only grab the good guys guns and lightsabers, but that was also kind of interesting. And based on Anakin's reactions he seemed to be using a power more like control pain than absorb/dissipate energy to deal with the electro-shock.

I missed a lot of the episodes of the TV series when they originally aired or saw them totally out of order. I bought Season One and Two so I could watch them all in order. I have have just about gotten through Season One. So far, I think the scripting and voice acting / animation of Anakin is much better in the TV show than it was in the movies. He is wayyyyy less whiny and the banter between him and Obi-wan seems like what they were trying (and mostly failing) to do in Episodes II and III of the films.

I wonder if George can dub over Christian Hayden's lines when he remakes episodes I-III. I am of course assuming he will want to remake those episodes too. Wink
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man this topic has me all pumped up to write up some riot troopers... Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what would be a decent house rule for a shield under D6 rules? Would it be treated as Armor or Protection? What would be an appropriated bonus for a hand-held shield with an integrated energy shield?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could grant cover bonus to their parry or dodge rolls, then have a soak rating of it's own. I would think at minimum of 4D soak to resist damage would be good. Since it is highly illegal to own anything more than a sporting blaster, most of which sit at or below 4D damage. If you're worried about high strength characters, give it a 5D physical/4D energy soak rating.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4D cap might work for a variety of reasons, but I think it would be foolish for designers of military grade protective hardware to set specifications based solely on what can be legally purchased by its own civilians.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
It could grant cover bonus to their parry or dodge rolls, then have a soak rating of it's own. I would think at minimum of 4D soak to resist damage would be good. Since it is highly illegal to own anything more than a sporting blaster, most of which sit at or below 4D damage. If you're worried about high strength characters, give it a 5D physical/4D energy soak rating.

I'd change that to 6D/5D. You want your protection to be significantly stronger that the common weapons, regardless of their legality, and a blaster pistol is still quite common in the galaxy. Modern riot shields are usually able to withstand fire from an AK-47, which is at least as illegal in the U.S. as a blaster pistol is in SW.

I'd also put it at -1D dodge, cause they're big and bulky.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking that a powered shield should count as Protection, using the rules on page 94 of the 2R&E book. Sample protection gives a blast door a Body Strength of 6D, which might be too much for a hand-held device, but it could be something close. Of course, since a shield also counts as partial cover, probably 1/2 or 3/4 for something the size of a modern police shield (although only in one fire arc).

So assuming a combat shield provides 3/4 cover to a human sized character, and has a Body Strength of 5D, trying to shoot through it and hit the character holding it would look something like:

1). Attacker shoots at Defender (holding shield). Defender isn't trying to Dodge, so attacker only has to beat the base difficulty to hit. However, the Defender does get to roll the extra 4D provided by 3/4 cover. If the Attacker's roll beats the combined base roll and cover bonus, he bypasses the shield and hits the target. If he beats the base roll, but by an amount less than or equal to the cover bonus roll amount, he hits the shield. Of course, there's nothing that says a guy holding a shield can't Dodge, too...

2). If he hits the shield, the Attacker rolls full damage against the shield (but he'd better be packing something heavy). The shield takes damage as per the damage chart on 2R&E pg. 94 (column 1 at the very bottom), then that result is applied to the damage that the Defender takes, as per the chart at the top of the next column.

3). Considering a shield is something of a cross between the Cover, Protection and Armor rules, I'd also apply the Damaged Armor table to shields as well.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
the Defender does get to roll the extra 4D provided by 3/4 cover.
Many shields have a window in them, and if the defender had one of those, and wasn't moving I'd give him full cover.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
the Defender does get to roll the extra 4D provided by 3/4 cover.
Many shields have a window in them, and if the defender had one of those, and wasn't moving I'd give him full cover.

For a full body shield maybe, but I'm thinking something roughly the size of the police tactical shields that leave the legs exposed. That means the Attacker still has something to shoot at, even if most of the Defender's body is covered. Of course, if you look closely, it seems like the cops carrying the shields wear strap-on leg armor to go with it...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
So, what would be a decent house rule for a shield under D6 rules? Would it be treated as Armor or Protection? What would be an appropriated bonus for a hand-held shield with an integrated energy shield?

I'd say Protection like cover.. but 50% at most..

Quote:
I'd also put it at -1D dodge, cause they're big and bulky.

I'd go with 1d+2 penalty to all dex skills.. much like armor.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3/4 Cover works just fine, so long as it includes the stipulation that it is only effective in the defender's front fire arc, and provides no cover in the others.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that shields should be "blaster proof." If it's a personal sized weapon (not personal scale, necessarily), it should not have a remote chance of penetrating the shield.

It's also worth noting that in tactical movement, shield or no, the troops would walk with a crouched posture (I know the movies don't portray this, but if I had to guess, I'd bet they didn't have a military/LE technical advisor to nit pick over these details). In any case, shooting the legs would therefore be pretty difficult.

Have you played Modern Warfare 2? There is a half decent depiction of the tactical shield use in that game. The troops crouch behind their shields, shooting with pistols.

I don't know: this is a pretty difficult one to house rule. On one hand, the shield is intended to stop incoming attacks, so you'd think it would be cover, but it also has an armor quality to it, so you'd think it should add to the soak roll. Now, if it's a pure energy shield, we have even more complications.

What do you guys think of allowing the shielded trooper to make some sort of parry roll against incoming blaster fire (maybe in the form of a bonus to his dodge roll, to represent him ducking behind the shield really quick).
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I'm thinking that a powered shield should count as Protection, using the rules on page 94 of the 2R&E book. Sample protection gives a blast door a Body Strength of 6D.
Protection may be a good way to go. The blast doors we see on ships and Death Stars look very thick and heavy. Much heavier than what I would expect an unassisted human could carry. I think you need a level of protection less than a blast door and more than a normal door, maybe 4D.

If it is armor rather than protection - i.e. just adds to soak, then you have to compare it to the various armors. Is the riot shield stronger than stormtrooper armor (+2D/+1D)? Is it stronger than powered armor (+3D/+2D)?

Regarding parry, IIR Runequest III had a parry value and a simple armor add value (about 1/2 the parry value I think). Maybe you could use something like that where a character can choose to parry - in which case the shield is a bit more useful or protective since it is correctly aligned against the attack and braced by the user - at the risk of a bad parry pulling the shield out of line of the shot or the character can choose not to parry but gets a lower default level of protection or armor add.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4D would be a good physical Body Strength for the shield, but I was thinking more along the lines of a shield augmented by an energy field projector (makes it a bit more Star Wars-ish). Of course, I'm not sure what the best way would be to reflect that in stats. Ideally, I'd like something that could stand up to a lightsaber attack, but still be vulnerable if the lightsaber got in a good hit.

As far as the parry, for shields of this type, the more common use would be simply to be behind them, not parrying, but using them for cover. Parry rolls might be appropriate for smaller shields or bucklers, but this is more in line size-wise with modern tactical shields. I could see a parry roll being appropriate if the character with the shield lost initiative and didn't already have the shield up, so they would need to make a Melee Parry roll to get the shield up in time to benefit from the cover it provides...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Gungun shields they had.. those are close approximations of what you are looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: