The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

NFS and DSP..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> NFS and DSP.. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: NFS and DSP.. Reply with quote

Brought out of the 'new dsp or not' thread.

Should non force sensitives even have to worry about the dark side of the force? Should they even have to worry about dsps??
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just to summarize my statement from the other thread, I'd say they'd have to make a conscious decision to be really evil. They definitely shouldn't have to worry about it to the degree that Force users do. Frankly, with the way most players run fringe characters, I don't see it as much of an issue. In a campaign where the players were Imperials it might be an issue, particularly if they were being commanded by a Vader, or a Tarkin, but aside from that, I don't think they do.
Chandra Mindarass
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd say they'd have to make a conscious decision to be really evil.

I can basically agree with that. If a "mundane" character commits an act, that I consider evil as defined by the rulebook, I will issue a warning. If he proceeds he'll have to accept the DSP. I'm open to debate with the player, but if a character kills and it can really be considered unnecessary, I'll give a DSP. The same is true for plotters, who don't care that people die in the course of their plans.

In my game DSPs tranform into dark side stuff happening to the character more often. He might have nightmares of his victims, become more aggressive, even have hallucinations. To pick up one of masque's points, DSPs could actually cause people to react differently to the character, even if they don't know his reputation. They might just have that famous bad feeling about him. If a mundane character ever achieved over 6 DSPs I'd consider him insane.

>-q=p---
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non force sensitive people have less to worry about compared to either a force sensitive or a force user. They're not totally immune from becoming tainted by the Dark Side, but they certainly have less fear of turning "dirty rotten evil".

I rarely have players play non force sensitive characters, but when I do, they usually play soldiers or bounty hunters. I'm lenient on who they can kill and how they can act as far as the Dark Side goes. In game, authorities might take offense at too much killing, but unless the character just goes around killing innocent civilians or backstabbing their fellow adventurers by killing them, I don't issue DSPs to them. All told, with the rarity of non force sensitives, and the even rarer rarity of those PCs doing something truly evil, I've only given out 1 DSP to a PC who was non force sensitive.

To borrow from what someone said in the other thread about DSP, if a PC is doing something "evil because I wanna be", then they're likely going to get a DSP sooner or later, whether their force sensitive or not.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was me. To recap, I also don't generally issue DSP to non-Force users simply because it doesn't affect them much. Not to say that it couldn't affect them, but mundanes don't have to live by the strict code of the Jedi. I've also never had a truly evil mundane character. Some NPCs sure, but never a player who wanted to go to those extremes.

I generally use a mundane's DSP count to "wow" any Jedi present. Our group knows that if a person has the "taint of the Dark Side" about them, they're typically a seriously bad individual. Although we did have one NPC with some anger issues who racked up a nice DSP count, but eventually redeemed himself. Mostly I just use them as a benchmark of how willfully evil a character is on the grand cosmic scale.
Raiz
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A force sensitive character will have force power penalties when a dsp is received if he still wants not to join to the dark side. A non fsc recieves a dsp nothing matters, there is no difference in his life. I dont like the alignment thing anyway like good or evil. That is D&D like childish point of view. Everybody has his own intensions and there is no good or evil in fact. It only differs where you look from. But for the force, since there is a light and dark side, fsc's are manipulated or affected by those. Nfsc's not.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Non force sensitive people have less to worry about compared to either a force sensitive or a force user. They're not totally immune from becoming tainted by the Dark Side, but they certainly have less fear of turning "dirty rotten evil".

I basically agree with this, except that I think that a character turning "dirty rotten evil" would precede the "dark side taint." Their actions determine their nature, saying that the "dark side" is what causes them to be evil is removing the responsibility that the character holds for their own actions.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen any suggestion of "the devil made me do it" in reference to the Dark Side. It's all about free will. Any "temptation" implied by the Dark Side is a manisfestation of individual desire for the quick and easy path. That's part of the real beauty of the D6 system: a character can do anything they want with few in-game restrictions. Sure, there are consequences to their actions, but the actual mechanics of it are left to the individual GM rather than spelled out in a book. This freedom appeals to me and my gaming style.

An integral theme of the Star Wars space opera is good vs. evil. For the purposes of the game, the Force is divided into Light and Dark sides with their respective associations. Morality or lack of, is a byproduct of this struggle. Dark Side Points are initially awarded as a warning to characters who teeter between the two sides, kind of a cosmic warning sign.

The original versions of the RPG rules reflected the warning theme, assuming that a character would try to be "good" and follow the Light side of the Force. Later supplements and revisions expanded upon the concept of Dark Side Points and provided a framework for playing and advancing "evil" characters.

Applying these standards across the board to both Force users and mundanes keeps the game operatic and relevant, giving an individual game the "Star Wars feel".
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiz wrote:
A force sensitive character will have force power penalties when a dsp is received if he still wants not to join to the dark side. A non fsc recieves a dsp nothing matters, there is no difference in his life. I dont like the alignment thing anyway like good or evil. That is D&D like childish point of view. Everybody has his own intensions and there is no good or evil in fact. It only differs where you look from. But for the force, since there is a light and dark side, fsc's are manipulated or affected by those. Nfsc's not.

Then lets come up with somethig that those DSPS affect for NFS characters. Like say, for each one possessed, persuastion and bargain rolls are penalized X points, as those who are dealing with them, sense their evil... or something ike that.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already more difficult for anyone with DSP to call upon the Light Side of the Force. If played out at a dramatically appropriate moment, that could be a very hefty penalty.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Then lets come up with somethig that those DSPS affect for NFS characters. Like say, for each one possessed, persuastion and bargain rolls are penalized X points, as those who are dealing with them, sense their evil... or something ike that.

If you do that, are you going to also change how they affect Force users? Seems an overcomplication on top of an overcomplication. I'll leave it as is.

Perhaps this should go to House Rules...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
It's already more difficult for anyone with DSP to call upon the Light Side of the Force. If played out at a dramatically appropriate moment, that could be a very hefty penalty.

How is that? Calling on the light side of the force is not an option in the books, you have the LS represented by force points. Now if the dsp total of a non force sensitive character was used as a limiting factor on the number of force points they could retain (normally 5 force points max for NFS characters) then i could see that. Or optionally each additional DSP makes it EASIER to call upon the dark side....... say +3 to the roll for each DSP already possessed....
darthomer09
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one entry of The Jedi Handbook there is a type of Force user that uses Light Side Points and Dark Side points. The Baadu if I'm not mistaken.

In Soviet Russia, RPG plays you!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC having DSPs makes it more difficult to effectively use the Light Side. Increases target numbers or some such? Is there a similar effect when using Force Points for good? If not, that might be a house rule worth exploring.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at it, I believe a DSP reflects the likelihood of a character turning to the dark side. Each time they recieve a DSP their supposed to roll 1D and if their roll is less that the total number of DSPs they turn to the dark side. They only recieve FPs for doing something evil at a dramatic moment after turning, otherwise they loose FPs until they can redeem themselves when they spend them.

I'd look at DSPs awarded to non-Force-sensitives in pretty much the same way, the only difference being that unlike a dark sider, a Dark Jedi or a Sith, regular folks turning to the dark side are more likely to commit attrocities and have shorter fuses.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: