The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The ESSENTIALS list for WEG game books for Gamemasters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The ESSENTIALS list for WEG game books for Gamemasters Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: The ESSENTIALS list for WEG game books for Gamemasters Reply with quote

WEG came out with a plethora of source material which was so extensive, they were at the time the official reference materials for Star Wars Novelists.

I have a list of books that I think each GM should have in the repertoir:

Rulebooks
Star Wars Roleplaying Game: 2nd Edition Revised and Expanded

You can get away with 1st or 2nd Ed, but this is the definitive.

Galaxy Guides
All 12

The GGs have a composite of starting information on Aliens and the details of planets and characters from the movies, running scouts, bounty hunters, smugglers and criminal organizations. GG 4 and 12 are particularly useful for Alien stats, and GG 6: Tramp Freighters is INVALUABLE as a reference for maintanence and design of Stock Freighters.

Sourcebooks
The Rebel Sourcebook
The Imperial Sourcebook

Between these two, you'll have a pretty good idea of the organization, character types, vehicles, weapons, ships and everything else dealing with the two clashing factions during the Classic Era.

The Star Wars Sourcebook

Most of the reference material in this book has been made redundant by many other sourcebooks later printed, but it still has the blueprints to the Tierfon Rebel Base and the Imperial Garison Base as well as a few other nuggets not found elsewhere.

The Tales of the Jedi Companion

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Force and how to run a Tales of the Jedi era campaign.

Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook

Whether or not you care of Shadows, this book was my primary source for info on Coruscant and Rodia.

Fantastic Technology Books
Gundark's Fantastic Technology: Personal Gear
Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids
Galladinium's Fantastic Technology: Guns and Gear for Any Occasion

Equipment Galore

Locales and Campaign Settings
In addition to the GGs, the following are great:

Planets Collection

Planets of the Galaxy 1-3 in omnibus format including the Elrood Sector

Mission to Lianna

This adventure is a great reference for the planet of Lianna

Platt's Starport Guide

A nice handful of notable planets including Kuat and Ryloth (the Twi'lek homeworld)

The Black Sands of Socorro

An entire volume in rich detail of an Outer Rim world

Flash Point: Brak Sector

A well fleshed out sector with an intriguing campaign plot.

Secrets of the Sisar Run
Details of Outer Rim planets near Hutt Space, with a tie in with Black Sun political intrigue.

Creatures
Creatures of the Galaxy

Aliens
Alien Encounters
The comprehensive listing of all Alien species from previously published WEG material with indeces to GG4 and GG12. Between this and those two Galaxy Guides, you will have info on every Alien species you will ever need at your finger tips.

Ships
Stock Ships

Well recommended volume.

GM Screens
Gamemaster's Screen: Revised

This is really the only one you need, if at all.

Did I miss anything?

I feel with these, you really don't necessarily need any else.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like smuggling/fringer campaigns, so on my essentials list would be:
Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook
Platt's Smuggler's Guide
Pirates and Privateers
The Far Orbit Project
No Disintegrations

And, not in the Fringer department, but I think Rules of Engagement is a pretty good book, now that I finally got my hands on a copy.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found it interesting to see what other people's essentials list is. Mine is a bit more conservative than others:

R&E Rulebook
Tales of the Jedi Companion
Stock Ships
Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition Sourcebook
GG 12: Allies and Enemies

I have a large list of other helpful books, but those are some of the most important in my collection.
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it also depends on what kind of campaign the GM is running.

All the Cracken books and Rules of Engagement are essentials for spec force campaigns.

Aside from the galaxy guides dealing with the movies, I think they're all essential, especially 4 and 12 dealing with the Alien races and #6 Tramp Freighters.
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting that you describe all of the Galaxy Guides as essential, as I only own a handful of them. Smile

I suppose if we're talking about what is really essential to a Star Wars game, most of us could get by with just our rulebooks and access to Wookieepedia.

Honestly, though, I don't know how I'd GM if I didn't have my stack of note cards. It's not an official WEG product, but I still wouldn't want to GM without it. I've got several NPC templates for pirates, low-level thugs, planetary law-enforcement, Stormtroopers, a bounty hunter or two, and the things that you use in every campaign (as well as a few vehicles to keep handy). I very frequently pull the notecards out of my binder to quick NPC reference.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that note, my list of essentials, which is what I carry around for each and every adventure comprises the 2nd Ed RE Rulebook and Gamemaster Screen and my collection of Stats books.

All the rest is adventure-specific.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My essential GM books have been:
Star Wars the Roleplaying Game Second Edition
followed by:
Star Wars the Roleplaying Game Second Edition Revised and Expanded

And occasionally:
Soucebook (Second Edition)
Special Edition Trilogy Sourcebook

Everything else (including the Sourcebooks listed) are non-essential... I tend to home-brew/improv stat things that I need, and the main books contain most things you'll regularly need for most adventure types.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
On that note, my list of essentials, which is what I carry around for each and every adventure comprises the 2nd Ed RE Rulebook and Gamemaster Screen and my collection of Stats books.

All the rest is adventure-specific.

I would have to say mine is the same. Gry's collection of stat books, the Force powers book, and The 2nd Ed RE Rulebook. I have a custom screen which I use as well.

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
TheDoctor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I find it interesting that you describe all of the Galaxy Guides as essential, as I only own a handful of them. Smile

I suppose if we're talking about what is really essential to a Star Wars game, most of us could get by with just our rulebooks and access to Wookieepedia.

Honestly, though, I don't know how I'd GM if I didn't have my stack of note cards. It's not an official WEG product, but I still wouldn't want to GM without it. I've got several NPC templates for pirates, low-level thugs, planetary law-enforcement, Stormtroopers, a bounty hunter or two, and the things that you use in every campaign (as well as a few vehicles to keep handy). I very frequently pull the notecards out of my binder to quick NPC reference.

Whatever gets you by!

To run the adventure, depending on the scenario, I try to type it out so that the only books I need are the rulebook and the GM screen. I may carry a couple random books for instant referencing on the fly should I spontaneously need info on a planet or species or something.

I like miniatures so I try to have as many as possible plus a Chessex grid map w/ overhead erasable markers (which will leave a permanent mark if not promptly erased!)
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:

Whatever gets you by!

I think that's exactly the thing I find most interesting. I reference the Trilogy Special Edition Sourcebook all the time, and a lot of GMs have no use for it. We all depend heavily on different materials.
Karae
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
I like miniatures so I try to have as many as possible plus a Chessex grid map w/ overhead erasable markers (which will leave a permanent mark if not promptly erased!)

Maybe try Whiteboard Markers?

That's what we use, and they don't seem to mark as badly for some reason.

The other tip I have, which sounds weird, I know, is to clean the mat using a damp teabag, then wipe it down.. for some reason, that seems to get all but the most stubborn stains off the mat we use.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found in the past that sunscreen can get permanent marker off of most smooth surfaces. Discovered this when a 2nd hand book I had brought had some spilt on it, and it removed the price 'tag'.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediClive
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone compiled a complete list including the 5 digit reference number?
vong
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediClive wrote:
Has anyone compiled a complete list including the 5 digit reference number?

In fact I have Very Happy

With title page pictures
http://vong.unbrokenfellowship.com/fanmade/SWD6_RPG_Booklist.pdf

or in table format (with what i have Razz)
http://vong.unbrokenfellowship.com/d6starwars/BooksCollectionWEG.pdf
http://vong.unbrokenfellowship.com/d6starwars/BooksCollectionAlpha.pdf

Enjoy

PM me if you want user created content uploaded to my site: http://databank.yvong.com/index.php
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
I think it also depends on what kind of campaign the GM is running.

All the Cracken books and Rules of Engagement are essentials for spec force campaigns.

Aside from the galaxy guides dealing with the movies, I think they're all essential, especially 4 and 12 dealing with the Alien races and #6 Tramp Freighters.

That is true. The essential lists would depend on your type of campaign. a more fringer/scout type would include all the galaxy guides, han solo and the corp sector, shadows of the empire, kathol outback etc.. while a spec force one would include reb/imp source books, crakens field guide and rules of engagements.

A force campaign, would include tails of the jedi, fragments from the rim, and that book which covered Courtship of leia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: