The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightaber Combat Variant -Roll and Keep
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightaber Combat Variant -Roll and Keep Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Lightaber Combat Variant -Roll and Keep Reply with quote

I had a idea for a revision of the Lightsaber Combat power.

What if instead of working the way it does in the RAW, the extra dice added to lightsaber and damage were not kept dice?

For example, let's sat we got a PC Jedi with Lightsaber at 7D, and that his gets to add 3D to it from Sense. The PC would roll 10D, but only get to keep 7D (the wild die plus six others of the players choice). Damage would be similar, with teh Jedi adding in dice for Control, but only keeping 5D. This could give a Jedi an amazing degree of control with his weapon, while being much less powerful than the RAW.
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is certainly an interesting idea... like you say, it would give the jedi great control over his lightsaber, making it easier to gain exactly what he wants, high or low, as desired.

My one concern is will it slow things down, will it make things more complicated in play? In theory the player is counting up all those dice anyway, subtracting a few shouldn't hinder the game too much. I only bring it up because of my limited experience with L5R and the Roll and Keep system. I found I was constantly being slowed down when figuring out my roll totals, but like I said, my experience was limited and all I may have need was to get use to the system.

Overall it might keep the Jedi more reasonably inline without a huge impact on time and flow of an encounter.

It should be noted, I haven't run for a full fledged Jedi since the 90s... I don't remember the effects of having one. . . not well anyway
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think it would slow things down much, since D6 only has one exploding die. Unlike L5R where all the dice can explode. So in play I would expect most people to grab the highest dice and then count them.

I could also see using this for other things, such as fire control and maneuverability. That way a raw recruit (2D skill) in an A-Wing (Maneuverability 4D), would not be the equal to a skilled pilot.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would prevent the Jedi from being far better than non-Jedi. So more balanced in that sense.

I think the damage would be a bit of a problem since a Jedi couldn't cut through blast doors and such. Ignoring a six on the wild die the max damage would be 30pts. That is only a kill result (+16 over soak) for soak rolls of 14 or less and 14 is the average roll on 4D. So you can't cut through a blast door nor even cut a Wookiee in two. That feels a little underpowered to me, especially compared to what we see in the movies e.g. cutting off hands, cutting people in two, slicing open doors, and instant kills in a single round.

One could up the base damage to something like 6D or 7D which would still be in the same range as repeating blasters but below thermodetonators. This would also mean that even in non-jedi hands a lightsaber would still be very dangerous.

One could also add +1D or more damage for each additional round. This would allow a scene like Qui Gonn slowly cutting into the giant blast door in TPM. Without some other changes, I would be concerned that the UCT would be too underpowered for what we see and expect from the films and TV shows.

But interesting.

How would using a FP effect the damage?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I wouldn't think it would slow things down much...
I assume players would just scoop up the seven highest dice, then count them. So net-net probably takes about the same time as just counting all the dice.

atgxtg wrote:
I could also see using this for other things, such as fire control and maneuverability. That way a raw recruit (2D skill) in an A-Wing (Maneuverability 4D), would not be the equal to a skilled pilot.
A raw recruit isn't as good. He rolls 2D+4D=6D in an A-wing while the skilled pilot rolls 6D+4D = 10D. Also, if you do that you will need to look at adjusting the difficulties for maneuvers since now the unskilled pilot has a max roll of 12 and the skilled pilot has a max roll of 36. It does reduce the total number of dice added and keeps the maneuverability totals below heroic for a longer time. I like the that the A-wing is just too much starfighter for an unskilled pilot to take advantage off. But since the break even point is only 4D even for an A-wing this is of minimal practical effect.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny because ive been gaming with the rae for 14years and have never had a balance issue (actually, our version of the rules is somewhat simpler and makes jedi a bit more powerful than raw). The only modification that ive played with and liked involved just rolling lightsaber to swing the weapon and adding control to damage. Again... Balance issues never came up.

I modified that version one step farther by allowing jedi to give up some damage to boost skill. And that is the final result that ive found satisfies my interpretation of what we see on screen.

Nuclear force point notwithstanding, I dont think anyone has either "nailed it" or "blown it" when it comes to house ruling lsc.

My best suggestion for now would be to balance the nuclear force point with dsps. Quick and easy is the path to the darkside. If the jedi is first to fp, then he may get a dsp unless he nerfs his own damage, for example.
Crimson_red
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I wouldn't think it would slow things down much, since D6 only has one exploding die. Unlike L5R where all the dice can explode. So in play I would expect most people to grab the highest dice and then count them.

Good point, I had forgot about exploding dice. Most of my experience was with Iaijustsu which also may have added an extra level of complication, especially for a novice like me.

Bren wrote:
I think the damage would be a bit of a problem since a Jedi couldn't cut through blast doors and such. Ignoring a six on the wild die the max damage would be 30pts. That is only a kill result (+16 over soak) for soak rolls of 14 or less and 14 is the average roll on 4D. So you can't cut through a blast door nor even cut a Wookiee in two. That feels a little underpowered to me, especially compared to what we see in the movies e.g. cutting off hands, cutting people in two, slicing open doors, and instant kills in a single round.

This I'll need clarification with. If on the first round you do enough damage to cause a wounded/Light Damage, then the following round you do the same, would it not upgrade the damage to Incapacitated/Heavily Damaged (ignoring wounded twice for the moment), and so on.

If what I understand is true, couldn't a lightsaber destroy a blast door, given the circumstances you list (4D Body for Blast doors), it would just take longer (and given Jinn's example, I would think is accurate?

As for cutting a wookiee in two in a single hit. It would still be possible, just highly unlikely.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, dont forget: the reduce injury power can keep the jedi going even if he receives a killing blow from the bbeg spending a force point, so he doesnt necessarily "need" to preemptively fp just to stay alive.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lightaber Combat Variant -Roll and Keep Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
What if instead of working the way it does in the RAW, the extra dice added to lightsaber and damage were not kept dice?

For example, let's sat we got a PC Jedi with Lightsaber at 7D, and that his gets to add 3D to it from Sense. The PC would roll 10D, but only get to keep 7D (the wild die plus six others of the players choice). Damage would be similar, with teh Jedi adding in dice for Control, but only keeping 5D. This could give a Jedi an amazing degree of control with his weapon, while being much less powerful than the RAW.

Actually a very interesting idea, and certainly something that should be tested out. But I think it offers a lot of possibility for some things. Maybe not Star Wars specifically, but certainly helpful for D6 in general.

And it certainly seems like a good idea in terms of maneuvering and pilot skill. Thus a 2D skilled pilot in a 4D Maneuver craft is likely not as good as a 4D skilled pilot in a 0D Maneuver craft. The 2D skilled pilot would roll 6D and keep 2 of them where the 4D skilled pilot would simply roll 4D and keep all four of them. It makes the 2D skilled pilot likely to have a higher total for his 2 dice since he's got more choices, but his total is going to be 12 (barring a Wild Die 6) while the more skilled pilot would have a soft maximum of 24, but his low end will likely be lower than the pilot in the better craft.

All in all, certainly an intriguing idea.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, this exact idea for starship combat was discussed a few months ago. Not many folks liked it back then. I think might be an improvement on the raw for vehicle combat, bit need to play test it to confirm.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Also, dont forget: the reduce injury power can keep the jedi going even if he receives a killing blow from the bbeg spending a force point, so he doesnt necessarily "need" to preemptively fp just to stay alive.

Assuming he has that skill!
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Interestingly, this exact idea for starship combat was discussed a few months ago. Not many folks liked it back then. I think might be an improvement on the raw for vehicle combat, bit need to play test it to confirm.

I saw the idea for averaging, but I didn't catch the roll & keep method for D6 before. I got the idea from EABA and L6R.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

I was thinking that we might need to up the max damage of a lightsaber so that it would be higher than a virboblade or other melee weapon. Say 7-8D. And/or allow Jedi to use the called shot option from SpecForces where they trade off skill dice for extra damage dice (and upping the max).

BTW, I was thinking that this could work for melee weapons too/. A Wookie with 6D STR using a virborblade (STR+3D/max 6D+2) could roll 9D for damage, and take the best 6, He'd still be under the cap, but at least now his STR would count for something.

Quote:

One could up the base damage to something like 6D or 7D which would still be in the same range as repeating blasters but below thermodetonators. This would also mean that even in non-jedi hands a lightsaber would still be very dangerous.

I was thinking that lightsabers could have a max damage rating like other melee weapons. Say 7D or 8D.

Quote:

One could also add +1D or more damage for each additional round. This would allow a scene like Qui Gonn slowly cutting into the giant blast door in TPM. Without some other changes, I would be concerned that the UCT would be too underpowered for what we see and expect from the films and TV shows.

The +1D per round (or per doubling of time) would make sense to me with ot without this rule. It would certianly seem to match up with Qui-Gon's stunt.

I agree that upping the max would be a good idea with this variant, but I don7t think Hedi would be greatly weakened without a damage boost. The roll and keep method willup the damage and a skilled Jedi will effectively be doing 7-8D. But I do think upping the damage a bit would be preferable.

Quote:

How would using a FP effect the damage?

You would get to roll more dice, but not keep them. So that 24+wild die result would be almost a given for the major characters.

BTW, L5R has a rule where soembody can trade off some rolled dice for more kept dice. They use 2per 1 but we could go with 3 per 1 if we wanted to.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crimson_red wrote:
This I'll need clarification with. If on the first round you do enough damage to cause a wounded/Light Damage, then the following round you do the same, would it not upgrade the damage to Incapacitated/Heavily Damaged (ignoring wounded twice for the moment), and so on.
Yes, but for the most part we don’t see characters dying the death of 3 or 4 cuts in the movies. Usually it is one, two at most, cuts and your dead or at least disarmed. Which is why I suggested more damage for the lightsaber.

If we cap lightsaber damage, then to decide how much damage a lightsaber should do, we need to consider how much damage a lightsaber needs to do to have the effect we see in films/TV. OB1 cuts Darth Maul in half, killing him (cause I just don’t believe that whiny spider-taur on the TV show was Darth Maul Rolling Eyes ). Maul looks strong and agile on film, so I am guessing STR 4D. OB1 clearly used a FP and Maul clearly (for whatever reason) did not use a FP. But given that Maul must have had CPs left since he didn’t look like he had pushed himself to his limit to defeat Qui Gonn we need to assume he spent CPs for soak. A character can spend up to 5 CPs on a soak roll, so we can assume that his soak roll was likely in the range of 27-36+ (4D+5D assuming average rolls of 3 or 4 per dice). Adding in 16 points for an instant kill (which is clearly what we saw on film) gives a range of 43-52+ points which requires 8D-9D. Not far off the 7D-8D that atgxtg proposed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if Obi was on a FP his damage would have been
5d base LS
control of 6dx2 = 12d - maps for LS combat, attacking and force jump - 9d
for 14d total...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: