The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starfighter hitting difficulty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Starfighter hitting difficulty Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Starfighter hitting difficulty Reply with quote

It seems to be a bit odd that difficulty to hit TIE-Fighter (6.3m long) and Corellian HT-2200 (54.8m long) is the same. Of course I'm saying about situation when attacked ship's pilot doesn't actively dodge and both starships are of starfighter scale.

I saw a proposition of the additional scale (space-transport 8D or so), but even this doesn't solve the problem completely (for example TL-118 StarHammer is a fighter and is 35m long).

Trying to solve this I came up with a quick solution that bases on starship's size: largest dimension, (most often length, but not always). For each 10 meters of size, attacker has +1 to attack roll, modifier is -1 for smaller than 5 meters and -2 if length is negative (see below).

Calculated size is adjusted by the ship's shape:
- Very elongated shape (width to height proportion at least 4 to 1): -10m (Geonosian Starfighter, Corellian Lancet).
- Elongated shape (proportion at least 2 to 1), wedge, slender with wings, "openwork": -5m (X-Wing, A-9, Delta-7, Naboo N-1).
- Full shape: no modifier (A-Wing, Droid Bomber, CloakShape Fighter, YT-1300).

Of course, ships look different from different angles (TIE Fighter is full-shaped from side, but openwork otherwise). My proposition here is to just find largest size. I hope examples will clarify everything.

Example: X-Wing has length of 12.5 meters, it's worst shape is if we looked from top, it's definitely slender with wings, so we adjust size: 12.5-5=7.5m, no modifier.
Example: TIE Fighter has length of 6.3 meters, it's worst shape is side: full shape, so size equals length and is 6.3m, no modifier.
Example: B-Wing has length of 16.9 meters, it's worst shape is back (slender with wings) or side (elongated) - both have the same modifier: -5 ,so size: 16.9-5=11.9m, +1 to hit.
Example: Geonosian Starfighter has length of 9.8 meters, it's very elongated (-10m), so we adjust size: 9.8-10=-0.2m, -2 to hit.

Now freighters:

Example: YT-1300 (or YT-2400) has length of 26.7 meters, it's worst shape top (full shape, no modifier), so size is: 26.7m, +2 to hit.
Example: HT-2200 has length of 54.8 meters, it's worst shape top (openwork, -5m), so size is: 54.8-5=49.8, +4 to hit.
Example: Gymsnor-3 has length of 34.1 meters, it's worst shape top (elongated, -5m), so size is: 34.1-5=29.1, +2 to hit.

etc...

I just noticed that instead of -5, -10m I can use percentages for adjustments, so here's my alternative version of rules above.

Shape modifiers:
- Very elongated shape: x1/4.
- Elongated shape, wedge, slender with wings, "openwork": x1/2.
- Almost full shape: x3/4 (CloakShape Fighter, Droid Bomber).
- Full shape: no modifier (A-Wing, YT-1300).

To hit modifiers:
- below 2.5m: -2
- up to 5m: -1
- up to 10m: 0
- exceeds 10m: +1 (for each 10m)

Example: TIE Fighter, 6.3 meters, full shape (side), size 6.3m, +0 to hit.
Example: B-Wing, 16.9 meters, elongated (side), size: 16.9/2=8.45m, +0 to hit.
Example: Geonosian Starfighter, 9.8 meters, very elongated (top), size: 9.8/4=2.54m, -2 to hit.
Example: YT-1300 (or YT-2400), 26.7 meters, full shape, size: 26.7m, +2 to hit.
Example: HT-2200, 54.8 meters, almost full shape,, size: 54.8*3/4=41.1, +4 to hit.
Example: Gymsnor-3, 34.1 meters, elongated (top), size: 34.1/2=17m, +1 to hit.

Notes:
- I think I like the second option more (fractions) even that first method is simpler.
- Value of "to hit" doesn't change, so it needs to be determined only once (unless a masochistic GM will use different size depending on angle of fire).
- This works only for starfighter scale stuff, for other scales, values had to be different.
- I think about adding more "dividers" (1/3 and maybe 2/3), but it may cause that the sheep shape will be even harder to choose.
- What about shields? It seems to be a problem especially for openwork-shaped ships (shields may absorb a hit that wouldn't hit a ship anyways).
- Maybe modifiers should be higher? +1 for each additional 5 meters?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by this logic, would you also not need to add mods for people shooting at bigger people, cause someone large size would be easier to hit?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill weigh in on this more later, but I do have a question: are these house rules intended to address a problem that is arisinng during play, or are they just to bring more logic to the system for preference reasons?
Darth Ginzain
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way though. A ship traveling at thousand of kilometers a second is shooting at another ship also traveling thousands of kilometers a second. Does 6 meters or 50 meters make that much difference?

That said, simply slide the difficulty around within the difficulty range. So if a Tie Fighter and X-Wing are shooting at each other at medium range the X-Wing might need a 14 or 15 and the Tie Fighter maybe an 12 or 13. Anything more then that and you're adding a layer of complexity.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
by this logic, would you also not need to add mods for people shooting at bigger people, cause someone large size would be easier to hit?

Good point. For people differences in size aren't so big. Big man is rarely twice as high as small one, but in case of starships it may be 30 to 1 (for example Jedi Interceptor 5.47m vs. Xiytiar Transport 164.8m).

So, answering to your question, I see the sense in applying similar modifiers to persons and creatures. Some creatures already have notes about "to hit" difficulties or they are of different scale to reflect their size.

Naaman wrote:
Ill weigh in on this more later, but I do have a question: are these house rules intended to address a problem that is arisinng during play, or are they just to bring more logic to the system for preference reasons?

Both. My players have two ships - a freighter (Corellian HT-2200, over 50 meters long) and a fighter (below 10 meters long) and when they fly side by side (without dodging), enemy ship has the same chance to hit freighter and fighter. They see it odd and I agree.
Additionally there are freighters that have parameters almost as good as fighters, like Z-10 without cargo pods, Space:9 (better than X-Wing), Man.: 4D+1 (better than A-Wing) and "only" 5 tons of cargo. Other is Kazellis Freighter, Man.: 2D, Hull: 4D, Shields: 2D, cargo capacity 100 tons and Space "only" 5, but it's 10 times cheaper than B-Wing, so why bother with all these expensive fighters? Wouldn't be simpler to just add some weapons to freighters (there's plenty of space and GG6 gives all needed weapons) and have ultimate f(r)ighters with lot of cargo space, passengers?

I'm trying to justify somehow reason of using fighters. By RAW they often aren't any better than freighters and it doesn't make sense to me. Of course, I'm aware of fact that lot of SWD6 stats are screwed up (they are very inconsistent and often incorrect), and maybe my tries are senseless Sad
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darth Ginzain wrote:
Think of it this way though. A ship traveling at thousand of kilometers a second is shooting at another ship also traveling thousands of kilometers a second. Does 6 meters or 50 meters make that much difference?

Yeh, but the problem is that it's not what we see in movies. In movies we see WWII-like dogfight with sitting on tail, hitting engine or wing, etc. Players want this type of fight and they want "logical" behavior (bigger is easier to hit).

Darth Ginzain wrote:
That said, simply slide the difficulty around within the difficulty range. So if a Tie Fighter and X-Wing are shooting at each other at medium range the X-Wing might need a 14 or 15 and the Tie Fighter maybe an 12 or 13. Anything more then that and you're adding a layer of complexity.

This makes sense. My plan was to systematize this and move size aspect to other layer, but as you noted, it's adding complexity.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest way I see to address this is to give fighters a bonus as it applies to scale. For example, give proper starfighters a bonus to hit and dodge against space transports (+2D) for example.

Personally, though, I would be inclined to rewright every single fighter and space transport in the book, and then approve anything else on a case by case basis.

Generally speaking, though, Id be inclined to say that freighters have 0D (and in some cases less) maneuverability, while fighters have bonuses.

Also, any freighters/transports with weapons systems would have only the basics of targeting systems, with minimal bonuses on fire control, etc.

Of course players may upgrade their stuff to better quality.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus fighters are specifically made for combat, and therefore get licensed FOR those weaponry. Freighters not so much.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. A transport might be licenced forr some weaponry based on the type of cargo it hauls, while still being limited to "just enough" firepower to defeat a threat, but that would not compete with imperial law enforcement firepower or military craft.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. IN some of my home games i have had massive outrage from pc's when i cramped down on them (acting as the imperials) when they brought their souped up ships into an imperial space port...
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it should be, IMHO. You have an overpowered freighter people will take notice.
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all well and good for private owners, like PCs.
But what's to stop the goverment, imperial, republican, or other, from using those freighters instead of fighters? That's what I believe Tupteq is talking about here.
- Tom Lehrer
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the specifics of the thread have simply moved into a slight tangeant. The govt can use whatever they want, but a transport is still more clunky, slower, and less optimized for combat (even if modified to carry weaponry) than a purpose-built fighter.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I think the specifics of the thread have simply moved into a slight tangeant. The govt can use whatever they want, but a transport is still more clunky, slower, and less optimized for combat (even if modified to carry weaponry) than a purpose-built fighter.

The problem is that it's not true (maybe except of size). It's quite easy to modify a freighter to a wunderwaffe by using replace systems from GG6.

Two examples:

Z-10 without cargo pods, replacing weapons by Tomral Heavy Laser Cannon, f-9 Heavy Ion Cannon (turret) and Hi-fex Proton Torpedo Launcher. We sacrifice all cargo and reduce number of passengers (gunners) to 1 (to regain one more ton of space for weapons). And we have:
Hull: 3D (more than A-Wing)
Shields: none (weak point)
Space: 9 (more than X-Wing)
Maneuverability: 4D+1 (more than A-Wing!!!)
Firepower of Y-Wing (except of one proton torpedo launcher).
Total cost: 86k+3k+3k+2.5k=94.5k (new) and 77.5k (used).
So, we have an interceptor (slower, but more maneuverable than A-Wing) with firepower of assault fighter, but 100k cheaper than A-Wing.

Kazellis Light Freighter, Corellian Evader-GT Ion Drive, Incom W-34t Turbolaser, 2x Hi-fex Proton Torpedo Launcher, x1 hyperdrive (selling old one) and we have:
Hull: 4D (like X-Wing)
Shields: 2D (twice better than X-Wing)
Space: 8 (like X-Wing)
Maneuverability: 2D (like TIE-Fighter)
Firepower: turbolaser 7D damage (better than X-Wing), proton torpedoes (like X-wing) and laser turret 4D damage.
Cost: 23k+50k+9k+2x2.5k+(15k-10k)=92k.
Much better than X-Wing for less than 2/3 of X-Wing's price. Space superiority f(r)eighter with 90t of cargo space, 8 passengers and two months consumables!!!

That's why I think there should be some reason why freighters aren't common in battlefields. Larger size isn't good enough explanation, because freighters may function for months without need of docking.

And my explanation to this is that freighters are just easier to hit.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then perhaps a new system for limiting the modifications of freighters, besides how much 'tonnage' is available, needs to be implemented..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: