The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Leather, Scale, and Bone armors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Leather, Scale, and Bone armors Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want to get gruesome, take a Zabrak's skull and spinal column and cover it in bronze. Use the result as a naturally-spiked mace.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... If part of rancor hide can give the same protection than for the entire beast, I wonder why companie continue to develop armor materiel for personnal gear.
Stromtrooper armor are +2D vs phy and +1D vs energy. Why the Emperor didn't just decide to bring up some rancors in order to built armors ? The answer is easy to understand, because it's impossible to built armor with rancor hides in order to have the same protection. Explanation could be the hides are too heavy to wear...

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto.

Only armor made out of creatures that are extremely rare or impossibly hard to kill should be all around better than industrialized armor.
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my 2 creds ill give it with an example...

if you stab a man with a dagger you are most likely going to pierce major organs and kill him.

if you stab a rancor, even in the chest all the way to the hilt, most likely you are only going to pierce skin and fat no organs at all.

so to show this you give the rancor an armor bounus for size. at least this is the way i see it what do you think Gry?
Camero
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another great way to start a fight with "natural" acessories - besides the Barabel-scale armor and Wookie-pelt scarf that were alreadt mentioned - would be a lovely Gamorrean-scrotum credits pouch. The perfect piece to complete the outfit gauranteed to get ya an exciting night on the town
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allst, the same argument applies to Banthas and Opee Sea Killers, but neither has any armor value. Armor represents durability that cannot simply be explained by innate strength and toughness. If it were just a matter of mass Krakanas would be tougher than Lava Dragons and Hutts would be tougher than Barabels.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allst your explanation is pertinent. It also give an other point of view on the topic. If the skin & fat are very thick, at least enough thick to protect organs from the blade of a knife, it is impossible to make a character scale armor... How to manage fat (alive organic cells) if we consider is as a part of the protection? Armor several centimeters thick are bulky. Armor joint could not have a good amplitude. For exemple character couldn't touch his/her head with their hands. Gloves couldn't allow to take small object or use blaster... Hide with this thick should be heavy. Character should better use a powersuit...

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pondered this topic at length over the past several days and I have come up with the following...

Armor composed of the hide, scales, or bones of a creature will have a defensive value of +1 pip per full die of the creature's original strength. If the creature has a natural armor value, then armor made from it will have an extra +1 pip per full die of armor protection. Thus, if a creature has merely +1 or +2 armor protection, armor made from it gets no bonus.

Further, should the originating creature have varying armor values versus physical and energy attacks, then the bonus will likewise vary.

Armor made from creatures higher than Character Scale will get +1D per scale above Character.

Dexterity penalties for this armor shall be based upon how well constructed the armor is, which is based upon how well the armorer rolled to build it.

Very Easy: Not Applicable
Easy: Not Applicable
Moderate: -2D
Difficult: -1D+2
Very Difficult: -1D+1
Heroic -1D
Heroic +10 -2
Heroic +20 -1
Heroic +30 0
Heroic +40 +1 (for buying off higher-than-character scale penalties only)
Heroic +50 +2 (ditto)
Heroic +60 +1D (ditto)

A Moderate success is the minimum required for a functional suit of armor and requires a roll using the Armor Engineering skill. If the character only has Armor Repair skill, increase all difficulties by +15.

Add an additional die worth of dexterity penalty for every scale above Character Scale that the originating creature was.

Examples:
Bantha Hide Armor: 8D Strength for a Bantha translates to 2D+2 Armor.

Barabel Scale Armor made out of Barabels who had 4D strength in life translates to 1D+1 for the strength +1 pip versus energy attacks and +2 versus physical attacks. Final tally: 1D+2 versus energy attacks and +2D versus physical attacks.

Lava Dragon Armor: 6D Strength for the creature translates to 2D Armor. +1D for being Speeder Scale. +1D+1 versus physical attacks and +2D+2 versus energy attacks. Total is 4D+1 versus physical attacks and 5D+2 versus energy attacks. After rolling to construct the armor, add -1D to the armor penalty for being a Speeder Scale creature.

Colossus Wasp Plate: 7D Strength for the creature translates to 2D+1 armor. +3D for being Starfighter Scale. 5D+1 total armor value, but the armor has a dexterity penalty of -3D in addition to the penalty imposed by construction limitations due to being such a high scale creature.

Note that even with Colossus Wasp Plate, a sufficiently high skill roll could theoretically produce armor with no dexterity penalties. It would require a roll of Heroic +120 to achieve such a monumental feat of armor crafting. Not counting Wild Dice, you would need at least 25D in Armor Engineering and roll a six on each and every die to do this.

Anyway, those are my thoughts... They're probably way too powerful or something. My thoughts usually are.
gollummen
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Kayle Skolaris, I think this system looks really great!

Good thinking.
All stats 2D, except: brawling parry: versus boxing 2D+2, melee combat: swords 3D, melee parry: swords 2D+2, languages: english 2D+1, scolar: history 3D, scolar: social studies 2D+1, brawling: boxing 2D+2, computer programming/repair 2D+1.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a nice reasoning there, but I do still find the end result too powerful in comparison to high tech industrialized armor....
Kayle Skolaris
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry, the thing is, we have a clear example of 'primitive armor' that matches high tech armor in the form of Coynite Battle Armor. It's made out of plants, for Sith's sake!!! I just re-read the entry in Gundark's and it's apparently woven out of some sort of fibrous plant.
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

necro thread ARISE!!!!!!!!!!!

In reviewing our research on natural materials for arms and armor I decided to review the forums and found this nifty little tidbit.

I would like to commend the people on both sides of this discussion for their input - I made me rethink our house ruled natural armors - not by a lot but enough.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: