The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stock ships vs Pirates and Privateers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Stock ships vs Pirates and Privateers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthias777 wrote:
I've had Pirate & Privateers for years, and just recently bought Stock Ships. Each ship has its own deckplan laid out and detailed, which is one of the major reasons I got it. 8)

IMHO deckplans in Stock Ships are very bad. There is lot of errors - bed on Z-10 is 135 centimeters long, TL-1800 has two gunwells with seats, but in stats they are fire-linked, there's no crew and their fire arc is front only (so they are fired by pilot), all deckplans have only one floor (which is strange with in 10 or more meters high, like L-19).
It's better to visit specialized sites for good deckplans or draw your own, because those from Stock Ships are worthless. But owned ships are great (and all these modifications and legacies).
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirates and Privateers has a broader roleplaying value, IMHO. It's useful for fleshing out NPC pirate groups, running a pirate campaign, starship stats, cybernetic rules, and some interesting gear. A real classic

Stock Ships can't be overlooked, mostly because of the adventure ideas and deckplans. Granted, I've only used a couple of deckplans. It's true that there are better plans out there on the net, but it's a book still worth the money. (Just by Pirates and Privateers first.)

I think that Hideouts and Strongholds should be last on the list. Don't get me wrong, it has some great locations, but the base-building rules have never been useful in any of my campaigns. I've routinely seen it go for more than $60 on ebay. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $15-$20 for it. I waited until I could snag it for $5. It has some neat locations, and it's been an inspiration for a few things in two or three adventures, but not much more. My wife, however, got a lot of use out of it for her campaign. So, I suppose it depends on the GM.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends also on the campaign.

Some PC Groups just need a base to be set up at.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if they don't use bases, a gm could get all sorts of uses out of the base construction for making believable and rule ok bases for his enemy..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: