The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jet Pack and Dodge Bonuses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Jet Pack and Dodge Bonuses Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone created speed modifiers?

I would volunteer, but I'm somewhat at a loss a to where to begin.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I thought I saw, somewhere, a blurb about a fast moving character being +1d harder to hit. I can't find it anywhere, but I KNOW I saw it.

I think a speed modifier would be the thing to do here.

You might be mixing up the +2d bonus troopers with MFAS in their helmets get when shooting at fast moving targets (more than 10/round)
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I thought I saw, somewhere, a blurb about a fast moving character being +1d harder to hit. I can't find it anywhere, but I KNOW I saw it.

Its been up before, regarding why its so darn easy to hit an x-wing at full atmospheric speed with a blaster rifle...
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
jmanski wrote:

You might be mixing up the +2d bonus troopers with MFAS in their helmets get when shooting at fast moving targets (more than 10/round)

Could be, I am getting older... But I'm just sure I read something about a moving character being +1d harder to hit due to speed. Could have been a house rule, too, for what its worth.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of games do have a hindrance both to shooter and/or to the target if they're moving.

Adding in the rule for jetpacks (using basically Tupteq's modifiers posted above, which my group seems to be okay with) makes me now consider whether it might make sense to implement:

-1D if the shooter is moving significantly (more than 10 meters per round)

-1D if the target is moving significantly (more than 10 meters per round)
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about adding the target's movement penalty to the shooter's difficulty (IE 2 moves = 1 MAP or 1d difficulty)?
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
How about adding the target's movement penalty to the shooter's difficulty (IE 2 moves = 1 MAP or 1d difficulty)?

That would mean a man running flat out and a starfighter flying overhead at full burn would generate the same to hit penalty due to movement, despite the vast speed difference.
- Tom Lehrer
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you'd have to factor in scale to that
Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

?
Of course you'd figure in scale, as per RAW. Which will make the starfighter easier to hit than the man, because of it's higher scale, despite it going over 30x as fast. Which is the very problem with this situation, so we're back to square one.

Or do you mean devise a way to figure in scale of the distance traveled, which would be a negative modifier?

Personally, I'm tempted to adapt something along the lines of the Speed/Distance/Size table from GURPS.
- Tom Lehrer
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well watching many war movies, the size of fighters in relation to people and the speed they move is usually a null addition (their speed negates teh bonus of their size), if not a negative cause we rarely see lots of hits from ground weapons to fighters.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still talking about jet packs, right?

When shooting at a moving target, there are a couple different ways to approach this.

You can "lead" the target, moving the weapon with the target and following through with that movement as you pull the trigger. This method is often used in skeet shooting.

Or, if you can predict a future location of the target (it's moving in a straight line across your field of fire, for example), you can just "camp" the cross hairs on a spot you know (or suspect) the target will soon be, and time the shot so that it gets there at the same time.

In real world applications, a bullet leaves the muzzle of a rifle at around 3,000 feet per second. Pistols are generally sub-sonic, in the 600-1200 feet per second range... so the "timing" of the shot is not that difficult to calculate, unless you're dealing with vast distances that would render the target beyond the reach of the naked eye. So, at typical skirmish distances, unless you want a very specific target (the brain stem or the right knee or some such), just placing the sights on the target will result in a hit.

At jet pack speeds, I would tend to allow some variance, though. Since jet packs are really fast, I might allow the jet packer to claim a full dodge, since at the speeds I'm thinking of, he wouldn't be able to do anything else anyway.

As for the stormies getting a bonus on attack rolls to hit moving targets, it would seem to me that this bonus is intended to offset some preexisting penalty (or, bonus received by the target) for speed. Where a description of such a penalty (or bonus) might be is unknown to me... Confused
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
jmanski wrote:

?
Of course you'd figure in scale, as per RAW. Which will make the starfighter easier to hit than the man, because of it's higher scale, despite it going over 30x as fast. Which is the very problem with this situation, so we're back to square one.

Or do you mean devise a way to figure in scale of the distance traveled, which would be a negative modifier?

Personally, I'm tempted to adapt something along the lines of the Speed/Distance/Size table from GURPS.

I mean add the scale modifier to the speed difference. So an X-wing travelling overhead (pilot uses two moves) being shot at by a character, the character gets an additional 4d (iirc) penalty to hit the X-wing based on the speed.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group liked this, and we were ready to move forward with the list as proposed. Then we were going to add some penalties for the jet pack wearing character when they were shooting.

But then one of my players pointed out that such a character would already be getting a MAP, so such a penalty would be pretty severe.

Then when I was typing this out, and incorporaing our own new penalty for moving characters (both as a target and as a shooter), I realized that such a rule also doubles up the penalty from the chart.

So instead here are both rules, working in tandem:

Movement during Combat
When combatants are moving, the following penalties apply:

Shooter is moving more than 10 meters per round: -1D
Target is moving more than 10 meters per round: -1D

In addition, if the target is moving exceptionally fast (often via a jet pack or rocket pack), the following numbers are added to the difficulty:

Target is moving 40-79 meters per round: +3
Target is moving 80-159 meters per round: +6
Target is moving 160 meters or more per round: +9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: