The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

House Rules: Grenades
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG -> House Rules: Grenades Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done it several times.. Glop grenades, smoke grenades, stun grenades.. Not yet had an enemy use frag grenades in that situation though.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also always felt that grenades are handled pretty stupidly in D6. Grenade explosions should be HARDER to dodge than blaster shots since they can hit you just by being close. After the roll to "hit" is made to determine where the grenade lands (and any scatter has been resolved, I believe that the grenade itself should have a dodge difficulty based on it's blast radius (perhaps). And the relative success or failure of the dodge roll will reduce the amount of damage you take relative to the max possible damage (10D, in the case of a thermal detonator). For example, let's say that a thermal detonator has a blast difficulty of 20. A defender would roll dodge, and subtract 20 from the roll. Whatever is left is compared to a chart that might look something like this:

0 or less: 10D
1-5: 8D
6-10: 6D
11-15: 4D
16-20: 2D
21 or more: no damage.

This rule would actually work really well with a house rule I wrote for cooking grenades (the +10 difficulty to dodge would be added to the grenade's own difficulty in this case, making it 30, instead of 20).
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about making the difficulty based on range band, but on the scale of:
Heroic (0-2)
Very Difficult (4)
Difficult (6)
Moderate (10)

That way it is harder to dodge but still manageable, and the GM can add modifiers.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't that be another "all or nothing" mechanic?
Either you completely avoid the damage, or you get the full damage.

Naaman's idea sounds good, decreasing the damage based on how good the dodge roll was.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though his rule does not take into account the move rate of the target.. not all races have a base 10 move..
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Though his rule does not take into account the move rate of the target.. not all races have a base 10 move..

Then maybe a modified version of Dromdarr_Alark's rule:
If dodge is successful you jump half of your Move away, +1m for each 5 points of success. Maximum distance you may move this way is your full Move. If a cover is in your reach, you may slip behind it.
After you decide where to move, damage is calculated basing on distance from explosion and eventual cover(s) in between.

This way your dodge depends highly on Move, indirectly on DEX (dodge is a DEX skill), dodge success level counts and terrain characteristics may be used. All factors are taken into account and there's no need of additional table, no complicated calculations, no artificial stats need to be introduced (like dodge difficulties). All you need to know is already here: dodge skill, blast radius, Move and combat area.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tupteq wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Then maybe a modified version of Dromdarr_Alark's rule:
If dodge is successful you jump half of your Move away, +1m for each 5 points of success. Maximum distance you may move this way is your full Move. If a cover is in your reach, you may slip behind it.
After you decide where to move, damage is calculated basing on distance from explosion and eventual cover(s) in between.

This way your dodge depends highly on Move, indirectly on DEX (dodge is a DEX skill), dodge success level counts and terrain characteristics may be used. All factors are taken into account and there's no need of additional table, no complicated calculations, no artificial stats need to be introduced (like dodge difficulties). All you need to know is already here: dodge skill, blast radius, Move and combat area.

That's not too bad. I'd also say that if somebody moves more than a half move, it should count as an action. That way a guy who runs out the door or behind a rock 8 meters away actually take some time to do so and uses up his movement for the round.

That would help to pin the enemy down.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with using move stat to avoid a grenade is that it would require you to adjuticate the amount of time left on the fuse. If there is no time left when the grenade lands, all that matters is how good the dodge roll is. Since "dodge" represents your ability to "dive for cover" (the rules actually articulate something to that effect) using the move stat is, in my opinion, overly techical, unless you want to just add a bonus to dodge based on tthe character's move rate (a move of 11 might provide a +2 bonus, as an example).

But in reality, the farther the target, the sooner you need to throw it. But if you want to gently roll it, or toss it under hand or chuck it into the third story window from accross the street, the timing of the throw will be different. This, in my opinion is covered in the thrower's skill roll, and a scatter result couls simply represent the grenade detonating before reaching, or after passing over a target. So, if it were my call, only the dodge skill would make a difference.

One caveat would be if the defender notices the thrower preparing to throw, he may use Running as a reaction to move toward cover, and perhaps gain a bonus on the dodge roll... but that needs some more thought and development if I were to try and use it.

Just my $0.02
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="atgxtg"]
Tupteq wrote:

That's not too bad. I'd also say that if somebody moves more than a half move, it should count as an action. That way a guy who runs out the door or behind a rock 8 meters away actually take some time to do so and uses up his movement for the round.

According to my training/experience, a grenade will either make the enemy charge you, or run the heck away. If the first one doesn't kill them, get ready for a barrage of bullets and a wall of soldiers advancing on you (or you on them: being inside grenade range is the last place you want to fight, since the can be lobbed over your cover, etc.

Last edited by Naaman on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Dromdarr_Alark
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
The problem with using move stat to avoid a grenade is that it would require you to adjudicate the amount of time left on the fuse. If there is no time left when the grenade lands, all that matters is how good the dodge roll is. Since "dodge" represents your ability to "dive for cover" (the rules actually articulate something to that effect) using the move stat is, in my opinion, overly technical, unless you want to just add a bonus to dodge based on the character's move rate (a move of 11 might provide a +2 bonus, as an example).

This.

I don't see the movement rating fitting into this at all. The character is diving away, not scampering out of the blast. If my players decide to use their movement rating to dodge, then they would have to do so at the beginning of the turn, using the full dodge rules.

I am keeping it simple while still making realistic sense. I see no need to make things too complicated.

But of course, you should do whatever is best for your gaming group.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Laughing You corrected my spelling Confused
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

Well the dodge itself is an action, and it already incorporates moving.

Quote:
I don't see the movement rating fitting into this at all. The character is diving away, not scampering out of the blast.

I disagree. If we are talking about how far out of the blast zone one can get with a good dodge, we do need to look at their move.
Most grenades have around a 0-3/6/10/14 or so blast radius, so someone with only an 8 move who is at 'ground zero' for the blast can only realistically get to the third blast zone, no matter their dodge roll.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I disagree. If we are talking about how far out of the blast zone one can get with a good dodge, we do need to look at their move.
Most grenades have around a 0-3/6/10/14 or so blast radius, so someone with only an 8 move who is at 'ground zero' for the blast can only realistically get to the third blast zone, no matter their dodge roll.

Well they can always do a double move in one round which puts them at 16 or out of the radius.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that all out speed puts them at quadruple their move. I know that all out speed prevents dodging, but the capability to move 32m per round (reduced to a smaller time over smaller distance) could represent the dodge roll. Anyway, however a GM decides to implement it, the important thing is that it is useable and does not detract from the flow of play.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Well the dodge itself is an action, and it already incorporates moving.

No it isn't it is a reaction. The difference is in how the turn is sequenced. As a reaction the character rolls his dodge against the greande and then he gets to take his normal action on his turn. He doesn't even have to move. In essence the dodge is like a saving throw.

On the other hand if the dodge counted as a move action, he'd be diving for cover rather than just standing there shooting. So he wound spend his next action moving instead of attacking.

garhkal wrote:

Yeah, although cover is a big part of it. If there is a brick wall 3m away a character doesn't need to be able to move 15m.

I think we can account for the time factor with the greande roll of the attacker. A higher roll would mean that the defenders don't have as much time left to get out of the way before the greande goes off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition and IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: