The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark Side Conundrum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Dark Side Conundrum Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karae wrote:
Okay Smile

The wookie left the room with the Gammorean and the group's Con-man, while the two were bartering deals back and forth (I.e. the Gammorean wasn't a threat).

I gave the wookie a DSP, because all the way through this, even when the door was open, he didn't take any action to see what was happening, even when he could hear the other jedi trying to stop what was happening.

did you warn the wookie player that they would get a DSP if they just sat there?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in full agreement with what garhkal has said. Dish out the DSPs even for Non-FS, and when they fail the D6 roll, take their character away and use it as a bad guy. Just because the character can't use the Force doesn't mean they can't be a nasty bad guy. Take a look at Boba Fett. Was he a Force User? Was he a Jedi gone bad? No! He was just a bad guy who was considered a fairly bad mamma-jamma.

Throwing things at characters that have no real bearing on the actual story because the player is playing a character disruptively doesn't accomplish anything worthwhile other than demonstrating that the GM is metagaming the worst.

There's nothing in the rules that says you can't take away a non-FS character and use it for a bad guy if it "falls" to the Dark Side by getting too many DSPs. In fact, taking away the character is the perfect way to put an end to the antics of a potentially disruptive player (or simply the character they're running). When the player goes to make another character, the GM should make certain he or she isn't making a character that's going to be problematic again. If the player insists on making such a character, then you can determine if you want said player in the group.

There should most certainly be some sort of constraints for non-FS characters so that the players just don't run around doing whatever they darn well please.

As far as killing helpless individuals....masque, you basically supported garhkal's own post about whether the character should have gotten a DSP. The Gamorrean in question was contained. I believe the term was "not a threat" and the Con Man started shooting the Gamorrean until he was incapacitated. THEN, after shooting an unarmed, non-threat Gamorrean, the Con Man delivers the killing blow with a vibroblade to an unconcious and incapacitated Gamorrean. How is the Gamorrean NOT a helpless individual? There was no "sneak attack". By your own definition (ie. knocked out, tied up, etc.) the Gamorrean was in all ways a helpless individual.

So, yes, as a GM, you should be able to take and tear up a character sheet for a player that's being disruptive, but the facet of allowing the game to account for the negative and dark behind shouldn't be discounted either. If anything, the DSPs and character removal should be a good indicator as to when a player is falling into a rut or is just heading towards being an abusive player.
Karae
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifurin wrote:
did you warn the wookie player that they would get a DSP if they just sat there?

Before the game started, I sat down and ran through the actions that ended the scene the week before, and even asked the Wookie if he was sure he wanted to leave the room, after the Con-man had threatened to kill him.

The player said he would, so I took that as him accepting any consequences of his actions.
Karae
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Throwing things at characters that have no real bearing on the actual story because the player is playing a character disruptively doesn't accomplish anything worthwhile other than demonstrating that the GM is metagaming the worst.

Metagaming?

I don't see that.

As a GM, I feel that it's my responsibility to adapt a storyline, where appropriate, around the actions of the players.

Face it - As GM, we've all had to nip, tuck and bend scenarios, because our players have done something unexpected.

Is -that- Metagaming? Because that's all that I'm planning to do here.

Change a few actions which would have happened differently, if the player wasn't acting in his current manner...
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always assumed metagaming was having a character perform actions based on knowledge that the character wouldn't have "in game", like a player knowing that another character has a secret item stashed in a secure location on their person and then having their character pick their pockets in the exact spot (along those lines anyway). A GM has to adjust the actions of an NPC after the player reveals his or her intentions as if it were just sprung on them. The only thing I think a GM can do to be considered metagaming is to give the NPCs something to counter any special moves or abilities/equipment the PCs have ahead of time. This is not metagaming if the characters are known to possess such things ahead of time.

Just my 2 creds...
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the unconscious part, so I agree, the action was DSP worthy, although I stand by my assessment that DSPs as a disciplinary method for non-FS characters are largely pointless.

However, I don't see anything having to do with metagaming in what I said about dealing with disruptive players. What I'm talking about is simply rewarding a player for his actions. If a character runs around causing trouble, likely trouble is going to come looking for him. I simply apply that principle. That's cause and effect, not metagaming. If a player is being a jerk, independent of what his character is doing, I get rid of him. That's not metagaming, either, that's making sure that the game remains fun for those who aren't being jerks.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karae wrote:
ifurin wrote:

Before the game started, I sat down and ran through the actions that ended the scene the week before, and even asked the Wookie if he was sure he wanted to leave the room, after the Con-man had threatened to kill him.

The player said he would, so I took that as him accepting any consequences of his actions.

In which case yes the wookie character should have gotten a DSP...

Grimace wrote:
I'm in full agreement with what garhkal has said. Dish out the DSPs even for Non-FS, and when they fail the D6 roll, take their character away and use it as a bad guy. Just because the character can't use the Force doesn't mean they can't be a nasty bad guy. Take a look at Boba Fett. Was he a Force User? Was he a Jedi gone bad? No! He was just a bad guy who was considered a fairly bad mamma-jamma.

Thanks for the back up Grimmy... one of the best examples i have seen of a PC who was Non FS that turned dark turning against the pcs was with a sparks player.. His character turned, and later on got with out council to work out what he would do after wards.. in which he sold a list to the empire of all the KNOWN TO HIM force users in our campaign.

[quote="Grimace"]As far as killing helpless individuals....masque, you basically supported garhkal's own post about whether the character should have gotten a DSP. The Gamorrean in question was contained. I believe the term was "not a threat" and the Con Man started shooting the Gamorrean until he was incapacitated. THEN, after shooting an unarmed, non-threat Gamorrean, the Con Man delivers the killing blow with a vibroblade to an unconcious and incapacitated Gamorrean. How is the Gamorrean NOT a helpless individual? There was no "sneak attack". By your own definition (ie. knocked out, tied up, etc.) the Gamorrean was in all ways a helpless individual/quote]

Well put grimmy... A sneak attack to me is when you are attacking a target of opportunity with surprise, not a tied up individual who is out cold.
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metagaming from a GMs perspective is as follows:

Con Man kills Gamorrean while said dead individual is confined in a cell where only the PCs know about it. If GM then has NPCs in the game suddenly know, and act upon the information that the Con Man is a bad guy because of what he's done, that would be considered metagaming. The GM is basically having NPCs act upon something that they would have no reasonable knowledge of.

Now if the Con Man did that in the middle of a crowded cantina, I could see word getting out. But if he does it on their own ship, or in a building where only the PCs are, then no one else would reasonably know about the event and therefore no NPC should ever treat the Con Man differently.

Another example of metagaming is as follows:

Group is planning on how to get into a Crime Lord's hideout, and came up with the perfect plan, one that the GM hadn't thought of. They decide to use their Slicer to hack the security system video surveillence and sneak in while the Slicer is still showing empty hallways. Now the Slicer makes all of his rolls and by all rights, the PCs should get in without a problem. If the GM magically has some of the Crime Lord's thugs show up, blasters blazing when there was no possible way for the thugs to know about the PC's location, then that would be metagaming as well.

If the GM creates a bad guy, with all of the bad guy's things, and the bad guy meets the PCs and fights them to a stand still, then the PCs decide to pick up some things to contend with the bad guy, if the GM then immediately ALTERS the bad guy so that he cannot be defeated by said items, that is metagaming. Now, if they PCs did it in a manner that was easy to figure out, say walking to a store and purchasing a particular weapon, I could see the bad guy maybe learning about it. But if they went to some street skiff and purchased an illegal, untraceable weapon with no way of any traces pointing back to the PCs, then the bad guy should have no clue the PCs got the item and therefore should not have an automatic defense against that item.

A GM having to improv something because the players pull a fast one on him isn't metagaming...it's thinking on your feet. But coming up with something for the specific purpose of "sticking it to the players" IS metagaming on the GMs part.

Don't get me wrong, though, if you have to deal with a disruptive PLAYER by talking to him and telling him to knock it off, then that's something the GM has to do. That has nothing to do with metagaming...that's simply keeping the group cohesive. But using the game to punish a player, by having the game pick on his/her character with information the NPCs should not know about...that's metagaming.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit on one occasion (in a non D6 situation) I did give a up the hitpoints of a badguy in the middle of a cinematic encounter because the PCs killed him in a single blow.

Probably counts as metagaming but in my mind I consider it failing to account for the PCs full potential in the planning stages of the game.

These days I tend to let what happens happen which has led to insignificant encounters becoming heroic and supposedly cinematic encounters becoming trivial.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Karae
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Con Man kills Gamorrean while said dead individual is confined in a cell where only the PCs know about it. If GM then has NPCs in the game suddenly know, and act upon the information that the Con Man is a bad guy because of what he's done, that would be considered metagaming. The GM is basically having NPCs act upon something that they would have no reasonable knowledge of.

Now if the Con Man did that in the middle of a crowded cantina, I could see word getting out. But if he does it on their own ship, or in a building where only the PCs are, then no one else would reasonably know about the event and therefore no NPC should ever treat the Con Man differently.

Okay.. I'm still not Metagaming by having bad things come down on the conman then Very Happy

In their hurry to leave the sail barge (in which they forgot why they were there in the first place), they left the 2 pilots, one gammorean guard, and the engineer/droids, as well as the guy they were there to rescue, alive.

Word can leak out from one of those, as well as from the base of the Gammorean Crime Boss, who knew that the sail barge had been under attack, and a request for Ident on the players from the Imperial Officer.

Now either through back streets, or straight from Imperial sources, all hell can rain down on the PCs, in unexpected ways (and not just the Bounties, that they all feel sure would happen).

For example:
From the details given from the now deceased imperial officer, they could be put on a stop/detain list of the stormtroopers, and even the local militia.

From the underworld side, either the gammorean, or one of the pilots can be convinced to spill their guts, hence having gang members, etc. watching for the group, either to get in good with the "Boss", or simply to rake in some creds (From what I recall, most of the bounties that are "Posted" are from Imperial Sources, not local, so they may never hear about it, even if they get a price put on their heads..)
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
(SNIPPED FOR BREVITY)
A GM having to improv something because the players pull a fast one on him isn't metagaming...it's thinking on your feet. But coming up with something for the specific purpose of "sticking it to the players" IS metagaming on the GMs part.

All good points, and I don't try to break the game by doing things like that. What I'm talking about is a pattern of behavior. I'm speculating, but I'm fairly confident that a character acting like that is going to end up doing something that pisses someone off who can find out about it, and get payback. True, there's nothing immediately evident in the situation currently under discussion, but it seems likely to me that some opportunity will crop up. Failing that, you can always have someone show up from the character's background, seeking vengeance. The point still remains that if you have a player doing such stupid things it's better to solve the problem sooner, rather than later. If it takes a little metagaming, by your definition, that really doesn't bother me. As long as it's used judiciously, big deal. I wouldn't try to do something like that just to spite my players, after all, I don't have an adversarial GM/Player relationship. I just don't see DSPs as very effective in a disciplinary capacity, I much prefer for them to be used to further the plot and enrich character development where appropriate. If a stick is required, I'll use a stick now, when it's effective, rather than a slow accumulation of points that may eventually solve the problem.

Oh, and as for Boba Fett, I don't see him as being particularly evil. He had a job to do, and he did it, and he was really good at it. I certainly wouldn't say he's on a moral equivalent with Han Solo, but nor would I put him on par with Darth Vader or the Emperor. Sure, he has some DSPs for certain things he's done, but I don't see him as someone serving the Dark Side, he serves himself. Nothing wrong with that, but it's understandable that he's scary if you get in his way, or if someone hires him to get you.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
..SNIP...

Darn skippy those are both examples of the GM metagaming.. And though i have at times started to do it, i always managed to catch and retract myself.. (so fari have been lucky enough to do so).

Grimace wrote:
Another example of metagaming is as follows:

Group is planning on how to get into a Crime Lord's hideout, and came up with the perfect plan, one that the GM hadn't thought of. They decide to use their Slicer to hack the security system video surveillence and sneak in while the Slicer is still showing empty hallways. Now the Slicer makes all of his rolls and by all rights, the PCs should get in without a problem. If the GM magically has some of the Crime Lord's thugs show up, blasters blazing when there was no possible way for the thugs to know about the PC's location, then that would be metagaming as well.

While i agree, i had one baddy who actually planed it out (noted on his info sheet) that he had patrols going through each corridor at set intervals in pairs... and if the security footage did not show them, that would trigger their suspicion and therefore they WOULD be imo in their right to upp the security...

Grimace wrote:

If the GM creates a bad guy, with all of the bad guy's things, and the bad guy meets the PCs and fights them to a stand still, then the PCs decide to pick up some things to contend with the bad guy, if the GM then immediately ALTERS the bad guy so that he cannot be defeated by said items, that is metagaming. Now, if they PCs did it in a manner that was easy to figure out, say walking to a store and purchasing a particular weapon, I could see the bad guy maybe learning about it. But if they went to some street skiff and purchased an illegal, untraceable weapon with no way of any traces pointing back to the PCs, then the bad guy should have no clue the PCs got the item and therefore should not have an automatic defense against that item.

Again very well said, though i have in the past had npcs actually pay to keep tabs (very highly i might add) on what the pcs were up to as far as equipment buying and such, so imo would be well in their rights to know how to defend against those things. And while that 'street skiff' might be untraceable the normal means, HE knows he selled them and so if is on someone's payroll (or someone was watching) they would be able to sell said info..
Expendable Hero
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I'll give my view on dealing with players that have dark side points. I never really liked the overt style of dealing with characters with them. Instead I encouraged them out of game as if I was the devil on there shoulder. For example. It's a pity that you're out of force points....ohh well lets hope that you haven't gotten yourself in over your head.....of course there is a way you could be certain to survive... Its a simple role to call on the dark side and you get a free force point to use in this round. Plus you would get another die on all of your force rolls in the combat from the dark side point. Or simply making sure they remember that they can add there dark side points in dice to rolls. In fact I let people start with one or two dark side points to begin with because then they have to really watch out. Also as the players get DSP you can scale back on letting them know if an action is DSP worthy before they do it more. I find this style of handling PCs and there fall to the dark side has a much higher rate of conversion and I feel that a big part of playing a jedi campaign is dealing with the lure power you get in that struggle.
Second I only give DSP to non force users if they use a force point when they commit evil. Using a FP is a representation of a normal char taping into the force on a greater level than they normally would.
As far as keeping the other players in line I use a combination effect. The first is that I use reasonable consequences to the actions that the players do. If they double cross a crime lord then hell be out looking for them. If they rob a bank then there will be an investigation. You just have to make sure it appropriate to the place and what they did. Killing someone in a bar on corellia is going to get you in a lot deeper trouble than killing someone in Mos Eisly. Unless the person you kill is fairly important to someone.
Reyus Graven
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:

In some ways you have to constantly adjust things to get things moving. If that means bending or even ignoring rules to get things moving then yeah go for it. The game even says to ignore rules when they are just interrupting the flow of the game. That even means that NPC's that didn't know something before that they know now. The GM isn't staying true to the character but if a player knew that then the players the one metagaming don't you think.

Besides how do they know no one else is in the area. How many murders in life have been caught cause there was just that one person that the murderer didn't see witnessing the act. There was blaster fire after all. The only thing I would see weird is if the NPC in question didn't witness it himself and knew something about it. But again thats the GM's perogative. I quote "the computer is always right"
Expendable Hero
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hail the computer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: