The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

rancor player characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> rancor player characters Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
Ya, and how do Wookiee's communicate with the group?

Or Rodians that don't bother to learn Basic?

Had both in my group.

Both of those species do at least have a spoken and written language, not just a form of pictographs... And i seriously doubt a 3p0 unit is going to have Rancorees in it's dictionary.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this older thread from the Charters forum will be of some assistance.

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=590

Wanted Poster
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a few jokes thus far, but not really given a whole lot of serious input. Seriously, this sort of character really should be reserved for slapstick comedy. The entire time I was reading Courtship of Princess Leia I was thinking how horrible a concept a sentient Rancor was. I think that WEG did it just because they were statting out the rest of the book. I would regard it as a curiosity that need not exist in a serious campaign.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Both of those species do at least have a spoken and written language, not just a form of pictographs... And i seriously doubt a 3p0 unit is going to have Rancorees in it's dictionary.

And how many people can stand a 3P0 unit? Razz

OK, let's get to the real issue.

Is the Player wanting a Rancor to be the proverbial 500-Pound Gorilla? Or does the Player have some good *ROLE* playing ideas about the character?

If the first, *SLAM*, no. Play a Wookiee. Prepare to deal with lots of language issues.

If the second, take those into consideration before allow it. Fluffy started as a joke, but he's a rich character with lots of gameplay ideas.

At the very least, a running gag of having to bail him out of Animal Control. Being the only animal left in the pen. Wink
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the guy wanting to play the rancor has been sitting in on several game sessions (this is my bountyhunter campaign) and is using one of the new plot twists i've added. the empire (well the moff of the sector) is doing cybernetic augmentation and genetic experiments on various "vicious animals" in order to combat the vong. the planets they are on are near where the vong have entered the galaxy and the moff "wants to be prepared" for hostilities. so using this information the player wrote his background.... but just not good enough. although i might take it and use it to add rancors to the list of animals in the cybernetic control/augmentation program.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Cyberpunk version of Commander Kettch?
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: WHat Time Period Reply with quote

In what time peroid are you running your campaign and is it in imperial space? If so how can a Rancor be allowed to walk around free!!! Sounds like to much of a headache to me! But alas, to each his own and if the player wants to try why not let him/her.

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does a Rancor walk around free?

What else would a Rancor do? I mean, Animal Control isn't likely going to have a cage big enough for one.
Doomhead
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think imperial citizens would like a rancor walking around, eating ewoks and gungans...

http://www.box.net/shared/cn6f7sdkog
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he wanted to say that he escaped from the lab and hid in the forests until the players found him. and forests cover about 1/2 of the planet so that is how he was walking around "free." as for time period it's rebellion era, and the sector is in the outer rim very close to the edge of the galaxy, roughly 3 sectors from where the vong entered the galaxy.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about as "Middle of frigin' NOWHERE" as you can get, ya. And, with a forest full of game to eat, credible.

Now, here's the issue. YAY! Spike The Cyber-Rancor gets rescued by the other PCs!

What's he going to do? Throw on a Leather Duster and Mirrorshades and try to blend in on every other planet?
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big question, why would the PCs react any differently to this character than they would any other rancor they might encounter in the forest? ie. run!

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run?

RUN???

Bah!!! More like, "SHOOTITSHOOTITSHOOTIT!!!"

Then, if it takes the shots, run. Razz

Moosebears were the worse. Took a point-blank shot to the face (Our guy on watch was in a tree, otherwise it'd be a shot to the knee or chest) with a T-6 Thunderer, and got angry.

Figure us meeting a Rancor would be about the same.

Unless the Rancor has the same mod "Piggy" of Wraith Squadron had, he's not going to be able to go, "Please not with the shooting of me!".
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that the Rancor was walking around the forest with a gargantuan Speak and Spell.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
Big question, why would the PCs react any differently to this character than they would any other rancor they might encounter in the forest? ie. run!

Plus do they have a big enough ship to get him off planet, enough food and other supplies on there too last, AND what is he going to do during their trip.

Also for a Rebellion time frame game i cannot see this experiment going on yet, as iirc both Ketch and 'Piggy' were products of Zjinii's stuff which came after hoth/endor....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: