The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Lightsaber Combat Variant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Lightsaber Combat Variant Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:
Then what are the Dueling Blades rules, or rather, where can I find them?

Cheshire has it on his 4shared account. The direct link is here. I'm working on an expanded version that includes rules for the seven lightsaber forms here.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Naaman wrote:
Not really: only one parry roll is required per round, so the number of incoming attacks is irrelevant.

1 parry roll for melee, 1 parry roll for ranged/blaster attack blocking.. And some even require 1 if you get a different type of weapon attack.. EG 3 people run up for close in combat.. one brawls, one swings a LS and one swings a stun baton. Some say that should be 3 separate parries.

Dont have my books, so this is just my interpretafion:
But, any given reaction skill need only be rolled once per round and it should apply to all incoming attacks. Now, in the case of lightsaber combat, the only "extra" rolls one should need woulx be when a separate skill is required (dodging a grenade, for example). Nevertheless, the more attacks you declare, the worse your defenses become. Essentially, he who strikes most hits least (and gets hit more).

BTB yes.. but we are discussing house rules... and i have it where (and other groups i game with) have each of the sub classes (brawl-melee-lighsaber-ranged blocking of shots) for LS combat take 1 action each to parry. Some groups only separate it into 1 roll for parrying bolts and a 2nd roll for blocking close in attacks.
Quetzacotl
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, crmcneill.

Those rules are interesting, but they only apply to 1 on 1 situations, right?
As soon as there is a third Person (like the Fight Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs. Dath Maul), I would have to use the normal rules again....
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

BTB yes.. but we are discussing house rules... and i have it where (and other groups i game with) have each of the sub classes (brawl-melee-lighsaber-ranged blocking of shots) for LS combat take 1 action each to parry. Some groups only separate it into 1 roll for parrying bolts and a 2nd roll for blocking close in attacks.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clariification. I thought we were talking about how the OP's propsal would interact with RAW.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I used these rules, and the only combat we had was the PC party up against a dangerous lylek (insect-like beast on Ryloth).

They worked really well, and the Jedi PC actually felt like a Jedi for the first time.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quetzacotl wrote:
thanks, crmcneill.

Those rules are interesting, but they only apply to 1 on 1 situations, right?
As soon as there is a third Person (like the Fight Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs. Dath Maul), I would have to use the normal rules again....

Or just apply MAPs and other situational modifiers (such as how do you saber duel some one behind you), then use the dueling blades rules for the results of all three combatants. The loner would make a single Lightsaber roll, minus 1D for fighting two people at once, with an additional -1D/2D for an opponent at his side or behind him. It allows multiple Jedi to team up against a Sith Lord of higher skill level and force him to divide his attention. The Sith Lord, on the other hand, will be working to divide them so he can defeat them piecemeal. I think I saw that in a movie once...

Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tempted by the Dueling Blades rules for a while now. However, I have two objections against them, ones big enough that they made me pass DB over.

First, Dueling Blades ignores weapon difficulties. It's fine when both combatants are using identical weapons. But there is no way to show some weapons being harder to use effectively than others.

Second, the only draw result possible is both combatants failing to acheive anything. There is no possibility of both fighters injuring/disarming/knocking down one another simultaniously.
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
First, Dueling Blades ignores weapon difficulties. It's fine when both combatants are using identical weapons. But there is no way to show some weapons being harder to use effectively than others.

That's an easy fix. The RAW already requires characters to beat the base difficulty of the shot and the target's opposed roll separately, and only stacks the two in case of a full reaction. For DB, simply require that the character's base roll exceed the weapon's base difficulty before comparing the opposed rolls for the combat result. Roll failure results in a mishap of some kind.

Quote:
Second, the only draw result possible is both combatants failing to acheive anything. There is no possibility of both fighters injuring/disarming/knocking down one another simultaniously.

I don't really see this happening often enough to be an issue. If it did happen, I would think it would easily tie in with my suggestion above. If both rolls fail the base difficulty, a mishap hits both duelists at once and they stab each other or knock each other down, and comedy ensues.

Leon The Lion
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could work with that.

How would you handle the martial arts maneuvers from the Specforce Handbook? There are distinct defense and attack maneuvers, only usable on one or the other. But in Dueling Blades, there's only one roll for both, and you never know beforehand if it will turn out to become a somewhat-successful defense (you loose by 1-10) or a partially or fully successful offense (you win by 1-10 or 11+).
- Tom Lehrer
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon The Lion wrote:
I could work with that.

How would you handle the martial arts maneuvers from the Specforce Handbook? There are distinct defense and attack maneuvers, only usable on one or the other. But in Dueling Blades, there's only one roll for both, and you never know beforehand if it will turn out to become a somewhat-successful defense (you loose by 1-10) or a partially or fully successful offense (you win by 1-10 or 11+).

I basically used them for ideas when generating the effect result charts for my own system, then left the actual MA rules as described out entirely. It wouldn't be too difficult to put them back in: just say that the duelist may only attempt a specific result (stun, knockdown, disarm, etc) if they have studied the appropriate technique.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: