The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Starships Stats - Revised & Expanded
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Starships Stats - Revised & Expanded Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey, Skyler, instead of clicking on the link for Krapou's site based file, right click on it and "Save Target As". It works a lot better that way.
Yes, you're right...

And if anybody knows how to change the html code of my website so that it will offer to download the file instead of oppening it...
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Gry, here is a website with cool pics of ships (at least for the ones you took from X-wing Alliance) :

http://www.xwaupgrade.com/
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
Hey, Skyler, instead of clicking on the link for Krapou's site based file, right click on it and "Save Target As". It works a lot better that way. Wink

I'll try that. I'll let you know how it worked out.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krapou, thanks a lot for the link, that should be very useful!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a GREAT site, Krapou! Thanks for sharing it!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry, Grimace... The file is writing to my CD even as we speak! Thank you so much for that hot tip!!! I think there are a number of other files I think I might still be lacking that this method will help me get a hold of.

Thanks again, fellas!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry, this thing is GREAT! If you're planning on expanding on THAT, I TRULY can't wait to get it!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat! Hellcat! Where are you? I'd very much like to incorporate the Starships Stats Add-On you were working on into this new edition.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been missing him in the PBP too...
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'd like your input in a decision I'm taking with this book:

The original book was already huge, and this new one promises to be quite a bit larger, so I really want to find ways to keep its size under control without sacrificing quality. One thing I'm thinking of doing is cutting out a bunch of ships from the Private Ships section. I'm just going to cut those ships that don't really add much, ships that are presented in stock form in another chapter and that don't have a signifficant modification to be of reference value. How many modfied YT-1300 do we need, after all? I seem to have dozens of them....

I'm thinking of only preserving the Private Ships that:
- Are not presented in stock form elsewhere
- Have a picture that shows an interesting modification
- Are historically important (you can't have a starships book without the Millenium Falcon or Slave I, right?)

So, what do you think of this decision?
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider putting these ships you're cutting in a companion book; that way, people will still get a chance to see them in modified formats, but they'll have to download the second book. Yeah, it'd be more work for you, but if I understand things you've already done the bulk of the work; it's just formatting now. I, for one, am already clearing disk space for both. Wink I imagine just about everyone else is doing the same. In fact, you could do this one of a couple different ways. You COULD do one book that's strictly stock ships, with a second book that has personal and modified vessels in it. Or, you could do the first book with the more historical and well-known ships in it, with the companion book that lists lesser-known and other private craft- both mass-produced AND built-from-scratch ships. (I don't know how many of THOSE there are, but I'd imagine there'd be at least a few...) If you did two books, you'd be able to include a good bit of detail without leaving out some ships that would be interesting to at least some of us.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd considered the idea of putting the rejected ships into a companion booklet. I might do that. Editing that 2nd book would be hardly any work at all, since almost none of them has pictures.

I don't like the idea of doing the main book with only stock ships. I want the book to be the ultimate ship guide, and it just wouldn't be complete without every single model of ship there is, inculding those that are custom made and unique.

Yup, I think I'll just weed out the modified ships which I don't think really add anything to the book, and then put those in a separate simpler booklet for anyone who might be interested in that.....
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
Yeah, I'd considered the idea of putting the rejected ships into a companion booklet. I might do that. Editing that 2nd book would be hardly any work at all, since almost none of them has pictures.

I don't like the idea of doing the main book with only stock ships. I want the book to be the ultimate ship guide, and it just wouldn't be complete without every single model of ship there is, inculding those that are custom made and unique.

Yup, I think I'll just weed out the modified ships which I don't think really add anything to the book, and then put those in a separate simpler booklet for anyone who might be interested in that.....

Good. I personally agree... I don't like the idea of the main book being nothing but stock ships. It'd be handy to have such a book, but for this compilation I agree that's not the way to go.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optionally, why not make books for each 'class', fighter, freighter, capital... or even by era/faction...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an idea. But it might be of more use to break down the books in that fashion, with Fighters in one chapter, Space Transports in another, and so on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: