The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Standard TIE type for NJO Empire?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Standard TIE type for NJO Empire?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Methedor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Standard TIE type for NJO Empire? Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I'm trying to determin the standard TIE is for the era. According ot Wookie I would lean towards the TIE Interceptor, but at this point in the timeline considering its size and resources wouldn't it switch to the better quality TIE ADV so it's planets wouldn't be trampled? I'd give them the TIE Defender if it wasn't so expensive and usually used as an elite pilot craft.

As a background to the question I'm running the DarkStryder campaign in the NJO setting and with the PC's having triggered a eratin chain of events I'm needing to figure this out. While I could go with the normal write up it just wouldn't make sense for a break away moff to have such outdated equipment.

I guess another way to phrase the question would be: What TIE's do you have on VSDs and carriers when your player's encounter them?

Thanks for Reading and Responding
Ral_Brelt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for Imperial craft, use the Assault Gunboat. T/As were still an 'elite' craft due to expense. The standard TIE and the Interceptor are both common fielding due to prevalence of parts and core of pilots certified on them.

I suggest the gunboat cause it shares its DNA if you will with a Lambda. Its also got teeth with its mix of weaponry. Longevity by stores and jump capability and durability for hull and shields.
Methedor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I never thought about the assault gunboats as I belived that they were not generally associated with The Imperial Order. I would make my pre-rolling* a bit more interesting, fielding them with a mix of TIE\In and TIE\F should be different at least.

*When I can I pre-roll the Pilot NPC's in battles that I'm aware will happen in advance to add a bit more "realism" and random factors into things. While it is a laboring process even with some tools I'm using it is fun to know and experiance the players are reacting to "non-staged "outcomes.

Howver this has resulted in th Farstar nearly being destroyed after several rounds of just absorbing hits with impunity, heh.

I'm still open to other folks opinions and thoughts on this.
Corise Lucerne
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider taking a look here: http://nifrpg.net/database/departments/imperial_starfighters.shtml

Granted, none of it is in D6 stats, but it may give you give you a few ideas.

I'd consider adding the upgunned military version of the I-7 Howlrunner and the A-9 Vigiliance to probably be fairly common at this time as well, but the assault gunboat is a pretty solid choice too, especially if you want to put the hurt on any sort of freighter or capital ship.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group's last major campaign (the Blue Force Mercinary Company campaign), which lasted over two years of actual regular gameplay, our PC party became very high level and wound up in NJO (started pre-Yavin)...

Well we found I really had to beef up the Imperials to keep it all lively, fresh and fun.
I made a new star destroyer, filled them mostly with A-9s and Howlrunners. Kept a log of individual cruisers and increased complement skill over time in line with PC advancements when being actively pursued by them.
I wound up whipping out the Eclipse and Sovereigns, and just tossed dark jedi all over the place. The Party became a game-breaker otherwise, it got to pretty high level gaming, with real tough Jedi and monster alien PCs. A competent battlefleet with a handful of old but perfectly capable cruisers and the assault-frigate dreadnaught mod, several gunships, could only be troubled by more than 2 Imperial star destroyers at the basic original WEG stats, really tough in the hands of PCs, they ran around like local gods through all the backwater worlds in the Outer Rim.

I do suggest you customize as befits the campaign and gaming group.
Methedor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanir: Thanks for chiming in. You must of used A LOT of time skips to get that far, though I had a SW game start just before Yavin and end around ROJ in 4 real years. Though at that point the Timeline had noticeably deviated (If you see references in my posts to ZU that is what I'm referring to.)

In terms of dealing with High powered or skilled Characters what I've done is used numbers combined with the 'combined action rules' for Storm troopers; that is they are trained to work together so aren't limited by the command dice. For example the hot-shot pilot of my players sometimes has a squadron of fighters chasing him just to have a chance to hit. Though this gets a bit more challenging against skilled Force Users.

I've looked at the A-9s and I-Howlers and while I may use them (as they are indeed imperial), I'd prefer a TIE type as that is a serious identifier of Imperial (or Seniar Ind. ) However unless I make my own or bring back the TIE\Adv production line it appears I'll have to move away from the TIE line. Current;y I've used combinations of Interceptors and Assault Gunboats along Ral_Brelt's suggestion. However as always adapt to changes, so eventually I'll lean towards your's and other's position of Howlers.

Thanks again for the 2 creds
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a mix of Interceptors and Bombers for fleet support and defense, with Avengers for longer ranged operations and Defenders for the elite pilots and special units.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked over all the EU TIE models and honestly, I really don't like them at all.

I like the retro T.I.E.
I like the TIE/ln
I like the TIE/interceptor
I like the TIE/advanced
I like the TIE/bomber
even the /gt, /rc and /fc.

I started off with adding 1D shields to all TIE models post-endor, but as the campaign advanced it was time for something new for a new performance marque that could be contemporary with Republic efforts.
The A-9 and Howlrunner were just handy, and do the job.
Pretty much replaced regular cruiser patrols TIE/ln with TIE/interceptors and had the shields fitment, so that helped too.

We did find it tough enough to work but you can't just stop there. Any ISD also carries some Blastboats and scout craft that are combat worthy, Wing Commanders are likely to have a specially modified TIE/advanced that's pretty tough, they have support ships, nearby stations will lend support, give Imperials variety and they do get tougher.
Rebels/Republic had variety on tap coming out of the gate and it's the toughest thing about them. Variation is adaptability.

If you were dead set on a TIE model, hell I'd write up my own. TIE/defender is interesting but overpowered, but something along those lines with a direct and conservative progression from the TIE/interceptor might be good, with shields and multiple weapons systems. Close the gap with snubfighters a bit. Or go the other way and re-establish the strength of the TIE design and reproduce a new model, still stripped down to the bare bones but now a "triple ion engine" with a move of 13 space units. Extra power could mean more powerful main guns. Simple but effective, all it needs is a unique but uniquely TIE sort of look for it. Something like a 3-winged TIE/interceptor (again, obviously similar to the TIE/defender concept).
But basically just a NJO version of a basic TIE fighter when it all comes down to it, inexpensive and easy to produce in large numbers generically.
Still like I said the A-9 filled that role easy enough in our campaign. I liked having a fighter type transition for the Imperials, it gave the impression of change and time passing in the campaign as our PCs encountered fewer TIE and more A-9s or Howlrunners. It worked out kinda cool when it was played out.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIE Defender interesting but overpowered? Use the TIE Avenger. Plus, TIE Defenders are officially present in the NJO (see The Final Prophecy), so including them in small numbers would be in line with the official material. Adding shields to TIE Interceptors has already been established in the Thrawn era (in the Dark Force Rising Sourcebook, IIRC) and the write-up for TIE Bombers suggests that there is room for upgrades, so a shield generator would not be amiss.

My take on the A-9 and the Howlrunner is that they were independent developments by one of the independent warlords post-ROTJ and pre-DE. Internecine politics and the nature of war would have the warlords pursuing their own fighter programs so as to gain independence from Seinar Fleet Systems supply of TIEs and such. When the Emperor began forcing them back into the fold, they brought their homegrown fighters along with them. The A-9, being a KDY product, is a natural fit for a homegrown Kuat fighter.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, here is an idea I proposed a while back for a Modular Mission Package for TIE Interceptors. It allows the Interceptor to fill the roll of most of the previous TIE models.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: