The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Clever uses of force powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Clever uses of force powers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAPTAININSANO
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Clever uses of force powers Reply with quote

I am working on a Jedi character and was wondering if anyone has a clever way of using some of the force powers besides lightsaber combat. I am having some trouble coming up with things on the spot. Or just a good story.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bet a fun thing would be to go way back in time to where there was going to be an eclipse and tell the cave men, "If I have come to destroy you, may the sun be blotted out from the sky." Just then the eclipse would start, and they'd probably try to kill you or something, but then you could explain about the rotation of the moon and all, and everyone would get a good laugh."
Jack Handy
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, back when I was roleplaying with my old group, our GM introduced a Jawa NPC into our party. How'd he do it? He had the little dirtball come by us and steal my lightsaber right off my belt! I of course gave chase, and when I rounded the corner he'd disappeared around, I was faced with an alleyway FULL of Jawas.

Since the thief was indistinguishable from all the others, my character stretched out with the Force, found his lightsaber, and used Telekinesis. The lightsaber shot up about ten feet in the air, and started floating toward me. However, the Jawa's hands were still wrapped around the hilt, and he wasn't letting go. So we all were rolling on the floor laughing as my character brought his lightsaber back to himself, a wriggling, gibberish-spouting Jawa attached to it. I released my telekinetic hold on the weapon, so both dropped to the ground. I caught the Jawa by the hood and held out my hand, into which he grudgingly dropped my lightsaber.

Interestingly, that NPC and my character formed a very close bond, and I was about the only person who he'd ALWAYS allow to understand him after we got to know each other. He made for a LOT of comic relief too...
Endwyn
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shift Sense is one of those extremely useful powers that can be useful in a wide array of situations. Shift your sense of sight to ultraviolet or inferred to avoid penalties from low / no light. Shift sight to thermal if you want to amplify you alertness to heat variations. You can shift your sense of smell to detect any specific scent or chemical combination. You could shift your hearing to detect comm frequencies. You can't hear what's in the frequency, but can hear it. This can be useful in several ways: remember Superman had friends with supersonic watches they activated when in danger? Well, you could track the noise to it's origin. Or, if you and your friends use a specific comm frequency, you can monitor it to know whether they are still communicating, even if you lost your comm link, ect.

Not to mention the things you could think up to do with taste and touch........
That's improbable?
And the Empire will be destroyed by..EWOKS!
That's...highly unlikely.
The Force? Bacteria called midichlorians.
If you don’t take this seriously I'm out.
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once my wife wanted to play an Ewok jedi, so i made her sort of like a druid from D&D. All of her force powers revolved around nature, and healing. She was able to commune with plants and animals. I know alot of the "powers" i gave her werent in the books but she got to play what she wanted and didnt unballence the game. was a win win.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like her character was somewhat like Jacen Solo, with his affinity for animals...
Cazziuz
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One force power:

Absorb/dissipate energy

Extremly useful if you know when to use it.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cazziuz wrote:
One force power:

Absorb/dissipate energy

Extremly useful if you know when to use it.

We've been discussing that one quite extensively in another thread...
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a player that used TK only to "pull" grenade pins (while still on stormtroopers).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh...well... technically I don't think Star Wars grenades have "pins". I've never seen one, only buttons. But, hey, it's your adventure.

On the clever uses: A jedi player of mine was trying to aquire the information that a bank manager had on his monitor screen. They were on opposite sides of a table, so the jedi couldn't see the monitor's screen. Violence wasn't an option. The manager was a pau'an, so the difficulty to extract information from his mind was too high for the young jedi. He tried a tk on the screen to turn it around in his direction, but he only managed to tip it over, screen down. Then he finally had a bright idea: when the manager was bringing the screen upright again, he mind-tricked him into thinking that he had the screen facing the wrong way, and so the manager quickly turned the screen around and now it really WAS facing the wrong way, and the jedi could read the info. This was very clever because the easiest use of Affect Mind is slight, momentary misperceptions, so he managed the roll. And the manager had only himself to blame for his "stupid mistake", so the jedi managed to walk away peacefully with the info he wanted.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice..[/list]
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY nice, Gry! I hope you got extra CPs for such quick thinking!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually this was a player of mine, I was GMing. When this situation came up this idea ocurred to me, and I was a nice GM and gave the player a little time to come up with his actions. And what do you know, he came up with the same idea I had in mind. I sure gave him a couple extra CP.

Up to that point, that player wasn't being very creative with his force uses. He wasn't really thinking about how to use his powers. After that little push I gave him he started trying harder. There was a cake recepie that was used extensively to fool guards into thinking it was an official authorization.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Ya gotta love people who come up with great, off the wall uses for their powers!
KageRyu
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detoxify Poison is invaluable as it can render various drugs, tranquilizers, and alcohol useless. Ever see a Jedi outdrink a Gammorrean? It can be fun.
Remain Conscious is also invaluable if you've been drugged, stunned, hit over the noggin, or drank to much, to give you time to use other powers (like Detoxify Poison or Control Pain).
Control Pain often seen as being useless because you trade 1D in wound for 1D in MAPs, but think of the broader uses? Ignore stun damage, or get rid of that -3D after remaining conscious from a mortal wound or -2D from incapacitated. There are so many other uses too, most of which fall under situations outlined by the GM.

These are just three powers, there are so many more that could come in handy. Creative or timely use of Receptive Telepathy can always grant useful clues. You just need to ask the right questions when using it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KageRyu wrote:
Detoxify Poison is invaluable as it can render various drugs, tranquilizers, and alcohol useless. Ever see a Jedi outdrink a Gammorrean? It can be fun.
Remain Conscious is also invaluable if you've been drugged, stunned, hit over the noggin, or drank to much, to give you time to use other powers (like Detoxify Poison or Control Pain).
Control Pain often seen as being useless because you trade 1D in wound for 1D in MAPs, but think of the broader uses? Ignore stun damage, or get rid of that -3D after remaining conscious from a mortal wound or -2D from incapacitated. There are so many other uses too, most of which fall under situations outlined by the GM.

These are just three powers, there are so many more that could come in handy. Creative or timely use of Receptive Telepathy can always grant useful clues. You just need to ask the right questions when using it.

Agreed on RT... Had one gm who let a player kick it in, and just simply told the 'target'/ Look, we obviously know you did not steal the plans, so it is of no use for you to think of them. His reasoning, was that when someone is questioned, that item they are being questioned on immediatly comes to mind...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: