The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Clever uses of force powers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Clever uses of force powers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With TK you can also open the lock of a belt (assuming the holdster with the blaster is on the belt) making it falling on the feet of it wearer. Blaster can also have safety locking device like guns now. Activating it and/or disangaging the power pack can make the poor trooper his weapon is jammed. What will he do ? hehehe

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
dren
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to Star Wars D6 Roleplaying and not yet familiar with all of the force powers but, couldn't Bandon and Cal make the stormtroopers think that it was time to pick up some prisoners? And, once they try to take some of us away, preferably those who are the largest and/or best brawlers, have everyone jump them?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dren wrote:
I am new to Star Wars D6 Roleplaying and not yet familiar with all of the force powers but, couldn't Bandon and Cal make the stormtroopers think that it was time to pick up some prisoners? And, once they try to take some of us away, preferably those who are the largest and/or best brawlers, have everyone jump them?

That would be affect mind. Going off the book, here is the diffs..
Control Difficulty
VE (5) – for perceptions, modified by proximity
E (10) – for memories, modified by proximity
M (15) – for conclusions, modified by proximity

Sense Difficulty
Target’s control or Perception Roll

Alter Difficulty
VE (5) – for slight, momentary misperceptions, minor changes to distant memories or if the target really doesn’t care
E (10) – for brief, visible phenomena, memories less than a year old or if the target feels some emotion about the conclusion they are reaching
M (15) – for short hallucinations, memories less than a day old or if the target has strict orders about the conclusion they are reaching
D (20) – for slight disguises to facial features, hallucinations which can be sensed by two senses, memories less than a minute old or if the matter involving the conclusion is extremely important to the target
VD (25) – for hallucinations which can be sensed by all senses, if the memory change is a major one or if the logic is absolutely clear and coming to the wrong conclusion is virtually impossible

So by the above...
Control roll - 15 (since u are going for a conclusion) + prox of 5 (1-100 meters OUT OF LINE OF SIGHT)
Sense - perception roll. And since these troopers are ment to guard Jedi, you can bet it is rather high (say in the 3d+2 area).
Alter roll - this one is a little more difficult. I would place it more to the difficult one, as it is extremely important for the guards to keep you there.

And remember, when doing any force power activaton, you still have the MAPS to worry about, whether doing the power all at once in the same round, or over several rounds (as you would be removing one die for each 'part' you had already activated).

So, 3 force skills used to activate AM, would be -2d to the skill of the jedi. Needing 20/variable/20. Would mean they would have to possess an average of 7d+2 for all three skills. 7d+2 - 2d = 5d+2. Average roll on 5d would be (3.5 X 5) 17.5 +2 for 19.5.

Now that is not taking into account any force point expenditure, CP usage (2 for each skill activation) or even the ST's using CP to resist...
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or they could just activate a grenade the stormies have. Just setting one off would do a lot of damage. Use TK to eiter pull the pin or push the button or how ever they work in SW

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but would that then be cause for a DSP?

Or does pulling the pin not technically constitute using the Force for attack? Twisted Evil
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they would also have to know one is there to do it too. Not all STs carry one, especially those on prisoner guard duty.

As to the dsp part. If it was NOT a stun grenade, then i would give a dsp to any troopers injured from it.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulling the pins of a grenade is definately using the force to attack, just like levitating a heavy weight over the subjects head and then switching telekinesis off. DSP right away.

If you, however would be able to modify the grenades so that they would explode in their hands as soon as they would throw them, its not using the force to attack, because the agression would be caused by them. A nice Jedi might warn them however...
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Jedi do try to avoid violence when it's unnecessary, they are warriors at the root of it. Specific actions like detonating grenades and all that while still in possession of the enemy are not things I would give DSP's out for alone. If a stormtrooper is about to throw the grenade, for instance, I have no problem with a Jedi activating it, particularly if it'll aid his allies in some way.

I make a distinction between defensive actions that are "cute" and actions that are downright evil. To use the example of the grenade, detonating them while a soldier is standing around on guard duty or something, with no warning, sure, DSP. That's harsh. If however, there is a combat situation in play, and the soldiers are actively trying to kill the Jedi, I have no problem. Say there's a squad of stormtroopers heading towards the party in formation, shooting at them. If the Jedi were to, say, detonate all of their grenades at once, I have no problem with it. It's self-defense, and just because it's messy doesn't mean it's evil. There's no point in Jedi having all that power if they can't use it creatively, and taking motive and intent into account just adds depth to the storyline.
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Akari. Using Force to make direct damage to someone give a DSP. It's using force under aggression.
There are other ways like by defusing the grenade then on the next round arming it and finally making it falling on the ground. ST will see an armed grenade on the ground and will try to dodge and get suspicious on it. this distraction can allow an other use of TK to pick up one of the ST's riffle and/or engage brawling (if the ST didn't kill the PC directly is maybe because they have other orders).
Of course all depends on how many stormy are present...

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course just setting off the grenades would be much easier... faster... But thats the way of the force. You have to use ingenuity to stay away from the dark side.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Masque. Does it really matter if a Jedi uses a lightsaber, a grenade, or a rock to kill an opponent? Not at all. Having said that, a large part of determining DS potential is motive. Is the Jedi fighting defensively or engaged in battle, or is the Jedi just going around on an inventive killing spree?

In the grenade example, I'd probably give the Stormtroopers a chance to notice the thing activate, then scramble around trying to rid themselves of it before detonation. That would serve as a great distraction, allowing the Jedi to sneak by undetected.

Not to say that motive alone determines Dark Side use. Some powers like Force Lightning and Force Storm are inherently evil and mandate instant DSPs.
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not to say that motive alone determines Dark Side use. Some powers like Force Lightning and Force Storm are inherently evil and mandate instant DSPs.

Actually, I have a problem with the concept of those powers being inherently evil, or anything being inherently evil, for that matter.
I do understand that one has to be pretty far along the Sith path before one learns them, though, so I let it slide as a game balance issue.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I agree with Masque. Does it really matter if a Jedi uses a lightsaber, a grenade, or a rock to kill an opponent? Not at all. Having said that, a large part of determining DS potential is motive. Is the Jedi fighting defensively or engaged in battle, or is the Jedi just going around on an inventive killing spree?

In the grenade example, I'd probably give the Stormtroopers a chance to notice the thing activate, then scramble around trying to rid themselves of it before detonation. That would serve as a great distraction, allowing the Jedi to sneak by undetected.

So the sts outside are distracted. they are still in a cell, locked in..
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detonating the grenade doesn't do much to spring the Jedi either, unless they set off some massive explosion and risk being caught in the blast radius. I'd definitely let some short-sighted Force users do that. Laughing
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let me get this straight....

All you guys out there saying that using the force to detonate gernades and drop heavy objects on peoples heads shold get a DSP also give them for cutting an enimy down with a lightsabre?

DSP are only for evil acts.

just my 2 credits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: