The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How do you handle the changing Star Wars universe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How do you handle the changing Star Wars universe? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: How do you handle the changing Star Wars universe? Reply with quote

Ok now that WEG has lost the bid for Star Wars, no new material will ever be produced, nothing will be updated, and no errors will be corrected. Even though new material (movies, comics, novels, etc.) is still being pumped out, and a great much of it contradicts existing WEG material.

So my question is how do the rest of you out there handle this situation?
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Spork1999
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends, I'm not much for playing in the prequel trilogy era, so most of the sources out there for the OT work just fine.

I don't like most of the stuff from 3rd ed, but I do like the way they handled Jedi a bit better, so if we do a jedi-centric camapign, I'll use WotC for my group instead of 2nd ed.
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always played under the assumption that the GM had complete control over the universe his campaign was set in. This allowed him to change things that he didn't like or agree with. He could introduce new forces/characters, he could kill off major characters (what if Luke Skywalker had been turned to the Dark Side or killed by Vader and the Emperor), he had complete control. I think this gives the GM enough flexibility to incorporate newer, non-WEG information into his campaign. If this is the case, the GM just has to be sure that he tells the players about the changes he's made, so they're not assuming anything from the movies, etc. Of course, if the players' characters would have no real way of knowing something, then the GM need not tell the players... Very Happy

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with Loc, thats generally what my GM does.

he changes the universe to fit what we want to do, or what he wants to add or take away.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I’m of a different breed; I discuss when something major is going to be injected or altered in the campaign. Say for example a bounty hunter in our game wanted to get some cortosis to coat his armour, where is that handled in the rules? So we all bang our heads together till we all agree on a fair and accurate statistics.

But then again I also trust my players implicitly and have seen them on more than one occasion forgo player knowledge to the demise of their characters.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Loc Taal
Grand Master (Founder / Admin Emeritus)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, that definitely affects how you GM. If you can trust your players to play their characters as if they don't know something (even if they, as players, do) then you can tell them a lot more. When I play, I always try to put myself in the character's shoes. "Well, my character doesn't know that, and because of his background, he would probably react this way."

The original RANCOR PIT archive
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where'd he find out about cortosis? just curious... Embarassed
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The net, comics, novels, there are tons of places dude.
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you said darkside sourcebook i'd have to slap you...
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whys that?
Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

made by WotC...
1 of the 2 books i bought back when they said they had "Easy Conversions between d20 and d6..." so i figured i'd buy the books and see how easy it was to convert crap back... it's only easy to convert from d6 to d20, not the other way around... pain in the ***
Rathe Ehtar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wiz went a little too far with the dark side prestige classes.
but to the topic, like Ragnar said, I've sort of created my own universe based aroung the trilogy. back when I started being the Master Of Game, I didn't have many materials to rely on and I was forced to improvise. so far, I've had no complaints. since then I've had access to many sourcebooks and my universe has only improved. feel free to make things up. It's a big galaxy out there.
Brandon
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more than enough material in the d6 back catalog to keep a d6 Star Wars campaign going for a long, long time, but in the end it comes down to the GM's imagination, as a lot of people in this thread have already indicated.

In creating a coherent universe for the players to explore, it shouldn't matter what the source material is, as long as it remains relatively consistent. If I read something I like in a Wizards book I'll do my best to convert it and use it in my own universe, same as I would if I found something cool buried in a d6 book somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: