The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

STOP!!!!! What to roll?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> STOP!!!!! What to roll? Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: STOP!!!!! What to roll? Reply with quote

Ok. Got a new one for ya... In Galadiniums, under the ship/vehicle items, there is that monofiliment grid that does 6d damage, 9d for those moving fast. Now lets say all the pcs are running flat out, chassing our baddie, who is, lets say 70m in front of them. He has one of these traps set up, and just as he passes it, he slows down to kick it on (lets say it is around a corner, so they won't see). When they all round the corner, and their lead person runs slap bang into it, what would they roll to stop? Would they even get the opportunity? What would the diff be?
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would Iether say Dex, or Running. But first perhaps a quick perception roll to notice what got thier bud, rather than just running past him and into the wire.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would the diff of that perception check be? I am thinking pretty high, say in the 18-22 area..
Tahlorn
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difficullty is given in Galandiums, if they refer to Perc, I say let the players use Search instead but at the same difficulty, as they are now aware thta something is there. Ut is still very high though.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Talhron nailed it on the head.

Perception first to see if they notice the trap. Lead man gets the first roll, than it is the search skill for all following him.

Next, running, with two difficulties set. Highest, moderate, make that and you stopped completely. But if you dont make it and at leats make the easy roll, slow to regular speed, than you hit the trap but not as fast.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
I'd say Talhron nailed it on the head.

Perception first to see if they notice the trap. Lead man gets the first roll, than it is the search skill for all following him.

Next, running, with two difficulties set. Highest, moderate, make that and you stopped completely. But if you dont make it and at leats make the easy roll, slow to regular speed, than you hit the trap but not as fast.

Moderate, from going all out? Seems too low...
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He has one of these traps set up, and just as he passes it, he slows down to kick it on (lets say it is around a corner, so they won't see). When they all round the corner, and their lead person runs slap bang into it, what would they roll to stop?

I agree that moderate from an all-out run would be too low, but you can't turn when running all-out, either. If they just rounded a corner, they are going slower than an all-out run. I would agree with Boomer's Moderate/Easy for someone who has just turned a corner.

For someone who is actually running all-out, I would base it on the distance they are from the trap when they notice it. Heroic if it's under half the character's base move, and work back from there. There's also variables from terrain and weather conditions to consider. Obviously, if they notice it a full round before they would hit it, there is no running check necessary to stop.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop, slide, and pray for rocks to slow you down enough before you hit it. Twisted Evil
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Augh, checked the table. By moderate I meant 15. The average person has 2d to roll for running. So coming to a full stop at least in time not to hit the screen is usually unnatainable.
Than, the difficulty is 7. The average person has a 50/50 chance of making that with 2d.
The characters however are not average, and will have 3-6d to roll in this instance. 3d average results being 9-12, 6d average results being 18-24.

I make the probability of die results and the numbers always match real world function and effect.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

entropy wrote:
Quote:
He has one of these traps set up, and just as he passes it, he slows down to kick it on (lets say it is around a corner, so they won't see). When they all round the corner, and their lead person runs slap bang into it, what would they roll to stop?

I agree that moderate from an all-out run would be too low, but you can't turn when running all-out, either. If they just rounded a corner, they are going slower than an all-out run. I would agree with Boomer's Moderate/Easy for someone who has just turned a corner.

Actually, nothing i am seeing in the rules prevents changing direction. Yes, it adds to the difficulty for the running roll.

Quote:
For someone who is actually running all-out, I would base it on the distance they are from the trap when they notice it. Heroic if it's under half the character's base move, and work back from there. There's also variables from terrain and weather conditions to consider. Obviously, if they notice it a full round before they would hit it, there is no running check necessary to stop.

Incorrect, as they can only slow down (decelerate) 2 movement catagories, from full out, to regular, or from double to cautious...

Quote:
The average person has 2d to roll for running. So coming to a full stop at least in time not to hit the screen is usually unnatainable.

Well, the average adventuring PC has 3d, plus CPs, so that 15 is not that hard to attain...

Quote:
I make the probability of die results and the numbers always match real world function and effect.

Come again?
entropy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, nothing i am seeing in the rules prevents changing direction. Yes, it adds to the difficulty for the running roll.
Incorrect, as they can only slow down (decelerate) 2 movement catagories, from full out, to regular, or from double to cautious...

I realize that the rules don't state that you can't turn a 90 degree corner in an all-out run, but the rules don't say you can't walk through walls either. Some things are just common sense. Now I realize that you could probably do a hand-plant against a stationary object to change your momentum, but at that speed you'd be making some kind of acrobatics check to pull it off, and probably a strength check to avoid damaging your hands/arms. Even still, your speed when you were done would not be an all out run.

In regards to deceleration, I thought those rules applied only to vehicle travel. We have never applied them to personal movement, so I wouldn't know if that was a rule or not. If it is a rule, however, than the rule of not being able to turn when doing an all out move in a vehicle should also apply. I don't have my books with me, so I can't look it up right now.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garkhal, I find it offensive to have my comments taken out of context in an attempt to make me look wrong when I am clearly not.
We agree, I made the distinction between the average person and the PC when I mentioned characters can have anywhere from 3 to 6d in a skill.

But my agreement was apparantly not enough. You just attempted to create an argument and there is no need to explain my point further if all you want is a fight. Sorry to intrude this subject.
to finance my 'vette!
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, no flaming. Misunderstandings happen, ok.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
Garkhal, I find it offensive to have my comments taken out of context in an attempt to make me look wrong when I am clearly not.
We agree, I made the distinction between the average person and the PC when I mentioned characters can have anywhere from 3 to 6d in a skill.

But my agreement was apparantly not enough. You just attempted to create an argument and there is no need to explain my point further if all you want is a fight. Sorry to intrude this subject.

How was i taking what yo said, out of context, in a way to make you seem wrong? It looks more like i was coming close to agreeing with you, but with a little clarification on the end (the "not hard to attain" part)... Sorry if i offended you with that.

Quote:
In regards to deceleration, I thought those rules applied only to vehicle travel. We have never applied them to personal movement, so I wouldn't know if that was a rule or not. If it is a rule, however, than the rule of not being able to turn when doing an all out move in a vehicle should also apply. I don't have my books with me, so I can't look it up right now.

Quoting page 102 (movement and chases). "A character may increase or decrease their movement speed up to 2 levels per round."
Page 107 (for vehicles). Vehicles may increase or decrease their movement one level per round"

Also, i see nothing even for vehicles about no 'turning while going all out'...
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I will attempt to clarify some of the issues I've seen here.

First: Movement rates for people -
Cautious - one half of movement
Cruising - normal walking movement
High Speed - twice the movement speed, considered running
All Out - four times the movement speed, roughly equivalent of sprinting

Now, according to Page 102 of 2nd ed R&E, the following can occur:
"Characters may increase or decrease their movement speed up to two levels per round."
--example excerpt-- "Later, Rhen is making all out movement to run across a corridor. The next round she can keep going at all out, or may reduce her movement to high speed (running) or cruising speed (walking).

Next, restrictions:
Page 102 under "All Out" - "Characters making "all out" movement may not do anything else in the round, including dodge or parry!"

This is where I believe people are getting the idea that you can't make a 90 degree turn in a corridor while going all out. If a character can't even dodge or parry, I would think it would be very difficult for them to change direction of sprinting as well.

Also note that when a character is moving at Cruising speed or All Out, they must make Running rolls to avoid mishaps, even on flat ground. Failures can result in a Slight Slip, Slip, Fall, Minor Tumble, Tumble, and Major Tumble. All of these are found on Page 105-106 of 2nd edition R&E. A result of a Fall or worse effectively stops the character's motion.

Another note, as mentioned on the Holonet (I believe) is the use of Partial Moves, found on Page 102 of 2nd edition R&E. It states: "After picking a movement speed (cautious, cruising, high speed, or all out speed), a character can move anywhere between half and her full move speed."

So, as was mentioned, a character could declar deceleration by 2 levels (from All Out to Cruising - aka walking) and then further declare that they are only going partial, (or up to one half of the listed speed) thus reducing their effective move rate another level. The example given that lists partial moves is as follows: "Rhen (with a Move of 10) decides to move at all out speed: she can move anywhere between 20 and 40 meters."

Add in that when they talk of running in the game, they make the following mention: "The movement difficulty number covers basic maneuvers; straight line movement, a couple of turns, and other simply movements. If a character wants to make a more difficult maneuver - such as maneuvering between tightly-grouped building support beams, grabbing something out of mid air while running, or grabbing something off a counter while running- you may add modifiers as needed."

It goes on to list modifiers up to 16+ for maneuvers that appear to be very, very difficult to perform while moving quickly. In my mind, for the baddie to activate such a trap while running, even if he slows down to just "High Speed", he's still going to suffer anywhere from +11 to +15 to the difficulty. That is for "Maneuver requires a lot of concentration and appears to be very difficult to perform while moving quickly."

If it's talking about adding these difficulties for grabbing an item off a counter while running, I would certainly place high difficulty modifiers for turning a corner at a run and kicking or hitting a trigger that activates and sets the trap. Unless the trigger is the size of a door, it's going to take concentration on the part of the bad guy to get it to work correctly and activate.

With all of the above mentioned, what you've got is the potential for the following:
Players may not choose to run All Out if they know they can't dodge or parry.
By the rules, it could easily be said that a straight 90 degree turn could not be accomplished at All Out speed.
By the rules, even if you allowed them to make a 90 degree turn, they would HAVE to roll Running, and failure could result in them slipping, falling, or missing the turn altogether.
By the rules, even if the baddie was just running (High Speed), he would have a difficult time activating the trap and may not successfully do so, and would himself have to roll Running or suffer the same fate of slipping and falling that the character's have the chance of.
By the rules, depending where in the round the 90 degree turn was and where the trap was, and how far behind the others were, a person could concievably reduce from All Out to Cruising and then choose a Partial Move and wind up only going 5 meters in a round...the equivalent of Cautious, where dodges, parries and a many other things can be performed.

All of this, of course, gives me a headache and is the perfect reason why I don't do any of this when I'm running a chase sequence in my games. Too much bookwork, too much dice rolling, and too much potential to really ruin a fun chase scene with a bunch of nitpicky die rolls and people slipping and falling in an open hallway because their Running Skill isn't high enough.

That's why I would suggest what is found on page 104 of 2nd edition R&E:
"Running Cinematic Chases:
While this set of rules allows you to measure out every move of every round, you should consider using a cinematic approach when running chases and vehicle battles in your games.
Cinematic combat is about characters on speeder bikes racing trhough the air at 600 kilometers per hour, blaster bolts flying wildly around them-- pick a difficulty number, roll the character's skill, give a snappy description of what you think should happen-- and keep the game moving."

You have to try to remember that Star Wars is about fun and exciting chases, not nitpicky die rolls for moving every meter of each hallway. Unless you're trying outright to just butcher the characters, there should always be a chance for them to avoid the encounter or for the encounter to never occur because the baddie missed the trigger, or whatever. Just keep it moving and keep it lose and don't worry about the hoards of dice rolling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: