The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Fires "burning"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Fires "burning"
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Fires "burning" Reply with quote

OK, I hate to say this, but I've seen flaming starting here, and well....... I think we should stop it. I do not can here to see this but to be with people that share the same interests as myself, ie. SW RPGing.

We can all have different opinions without being hostile we one another. I will not name names, but I think we should try and get along. A little tact goes a long way. This is just something I think we should think about before we lose members of this forum (site thingie whatever it is - I'm still having problems getting used to this internet thing). I would rather see us grow, but if this does not stop I am worried that this site will start to stagnate.

If anyone agrees with me please say something about it, OK.

Chabit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't know if I'd consider it outright flaming, I think some people aren't doing what I always suggest over on the Holonet: If you read something that makes you hot under the collar, don't post right away. Leave the site, take a break, come back a couple hours later and read the post again. Maybe you misunderstood what a person was trying to say, or maybe you're reading into a post more than what you should. Regardless, you should never post when you're angry, and when you DO post, you should be courteous and professional in your tone and demeanor.

Some people have told me they can't control themselves, to which I reply: Then take it to private message where the rest of us don't have to read it. Address the person you have a grievance with and don't sully the forums with arguements or flames.

It seems to work well over there, and if people just make a point of always trying to be professional in tone and attitude, it makes for a far more enjoyable place to visit.

So you can count me in for noticing people posting while a little grumpy, but I think if we all make an effort to treat each other as fellow gamers and fans of Star Wars, and respect each other's opinions, then things will become and remain pleasant here.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its not to me personnally Grimace. Its just that I have noticed the lack of tact with some people. I'm just hoping others can and would take a little consideration when posting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To this I must add that I have noticed some people who might be thought to be flaming, actually working to improve a deficiency in their people skills. (A self-admitted deficiency on their part, to boot.) To these individuals I offer a sincere salute and the hope that you find great success in improving the way you deal with people. Thank you for your obvious effort to improve your skills!
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, flaming is intentional hostility. When actual harm and insults are meant.

But a lack of tact is not flaming, it is a social stutter. And usually is marked by a misunderstanding on the part of the listener, not the speaker, as tact is a speaking skill for making points without offense.

Tact is something you must be mindful to add to speech, not something you intentionally throw out. It is a manner of speaking in which you truly communicate your idea without abrasion to the feelings and opinions of others.
When tact is not being used, even someone's attempt at friendship can be viewed as an attack.

But this is just my view on the situation. I have yet to see any real flaming occur, and even loss of tact is rare.
to finance my 'vette!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. And I have only praise for our brother Boomer here. A while ago there was some attriction between us, but we had a nice PM talk, and things have been running smoothly ever since.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Boomer. I know i might seem, at times, graiting, and abrasive, but it is not intentional (or at least i don't think it is)...
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garkhal, compared to some of the things I have done here, you are quite polite.

But anyway, constantly checking up on ourselves and making it known that flaming here is not appreciated and that we all need work, is good. The only way to prevent decay is regular maintainance.
to finance my 'vette!
Robert
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to speak for me as a newcomer to this site, i am very happy about the politeness and kindness shown in the posts. I havenīt seen any flaming here, but maybe i wasnīt searching well enough. I have seen different rpgforums, also centered around a single game, where flaming regularly broke loose. They were arguing about the "right" interpretation of the rules or some canonic background sentence instead of thinking on their own feet.

I asked myself, why the manners in the rancor pit are so different, and at first i thought it was because it seemed most of you are military and are used to rules. But at last i came to a different conclusion. People posting in this forum care for it. They appreciate the rules because they are reasonable, they work together on sourcebooks or house rules and share their experience instead of preaching the right way to play. Maybe this is the spirit of Star Wars D6 - but no matter what, i donīt want flame wars break loose.

Thanks.
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the helpfullness and kindness that I have received on this site. I also agree with the earlier post about if you think someone is flaming you, pause, go do something else, and come back and see if you still read the post the same way. If it still seems that way, ask. I am happy with this site, I visit every day I can.

To all, Keep posting!

E
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to second Gry here... I have only praise for Boomer as well. His interactions with everyone have been more and more tactful as he's progressed. He obviously has a firm grasp on what's flaming and what's not, and I can tell you that I've never seen him intentionally flame anyone.

Boomer, you've done a great job. Keep up the good work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: