The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droids with sensors, and ambushes...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Droids with sensors, and ambushes... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Droids with sensors, and ambushes... Reply with quote

Got this 'argument' from over on the Sparks Yahoo group. Apparently, someone felt the GM 'gyped' him, by not allowing the droids with sensors, to detect an ambush... But another gm, piped up with "did they make periodic rolls, were they under orders from their owner to check?"

That got me a thinking. How would you have handled it?

Also, would having droids flying around (repulsors) sending out sensor sweeps, not be more of a detrement to a sneak n peak style mission, or many others, by giving the imperials a heads up that you are there?
I say that, cause IMO even if those droids only have 1km of sensor detection range, their buble of sensor energy would still be able to get detected by more powrful sensors....
Liam (Gunman) Kissane
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends greatly on the ambushers and their situation.

If the ambush team is hidden, not moving, and not creating a signal that the droid can pick up on (eg. not using powered armour or commlinks) then I see no reason for the party to suspect an ambush.

Additionally, I concur with your view of the droid's (active) sensors possibly drawing unwanted attention.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are probly rules for this sort of thing in the specforce handbook or one of Craken's, but as I've never run into the problem I'll give you my opinion instead.

If the PC's placed a driod "on watch", then I'd say yes the driod would do it's best to alert it's master of anything coming near. If not, and the droid was just "there", then I'd rule that the droid would do what it normally does. If it normally sits around and doesn't "do anything" unless the PC owner tells it to, then that's what it does. Nice mental image of an R2 calmly watching a squad of Stormtroopers walk by towards it's master there... :) In other words, I'd "role play" the droid. What would the droid do? Is the droid smart enough to do anything, or to understand what an approching squad of stormtroopers means for it's master? Does it even know that it's master is on the wrong side of the law? Does the droid secretly hate it's master for all the ill-treatment it receives?

On the other hand, if it's an imperial droid and the PCs are trying to sneak around, It depends. Obviously the imperial droid is programmed for exactly this kind of mission. The problem for the PCs is: 1) Do they even know there is a droid out there? 2) Do they know what it's capabilities are? 3) How can they circumvent this security measure without alerting the empire that they are around? The answers depend on the situation.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambush!
Wait, from where? Don't I get a perception roll?
No, you never said you wanted to...

Ambush!
Wait, from where? Wouldn't my droids sensors pick it up?
No, you never told him to use them...

They are both the exact same situation. What do YOU think the correct answer is?

Honestly, if the droid has sensors, you take into account the sensors during the perception roll before the ambush.
Why, for the same reason the gand takes in his UV vision.
For the same reason a lot of races take in their infrared and sense of smell.
For the same reason certain creatures take in their advanced hearing.

Yes, the droid gets a sensor roll. That is not an order, that is just what the droid does. Unless for some reason it has some kind of high-end sensor package which must be powered up and down, the droid always gets it's sensor roll.
to finance my 'vette!
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, droid sensors should work just like a Jedi power that can be "kept up". If they are keeping it up, then there should be the MAP to take in to account. If not, then you are correct, just like a living creature, they would have to actively say they are watching out for ambush. Now, the GM or module might say that a Perception or sensors roll can be made to detect the ambushers, but the GM doesn't have to allow that.

E
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ejacobs wrote:
IMHO, droid sensors should work just like a Jedi power that can be "kept up". If they are keeping it up, then there should be the MAP to take in to account. If not, then you are correct, just like a living creature, they would have to actively say they are watching out for ambush. Now, the GM or module might say that a Perception or sensors roll can be made to detect the ambushers, but the GM doesn't have to allow that.

E

Well said.. And to boomer, i disagree, in those situations. Perception is something always there, while sensors have to be activated to 'check' for, therefore it would necessitate a roll in my mind.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well said.. And to boomer, i disagree, in those situations. Perception is something always there, while sensors have to be activated to 'check' for, therefore it would necessitate a roll in my mind.

Which brings us back to Scott's astute comment- It depends on the situation. How often does the droid have its memory wiped? Has it been long enough for the droid to become truly autonomous, understanding where it and its master are in the grand scheme of things? Have they crash-landed in a bog somewhere, with no idea of the local flora and fauna?

The point is, there's no pat answer for this one. The GM, as ever, will have to make the final call on this issue based on how it fits into the game. And like it or not, the players are gonna have to abide by it.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ambush!
Wait, from where? Don't I get a perception roll?
No, you never said you wanted to...

Ambush!
Wait, from where? Wouldn't my droids sensors pick it up?
No, you never told him to use them...

They are both the exact same situation. What do YOU think the correct answer is?

Honestly, that is the answer right there. There are so many other factors we just don't have, that the real answer is whatever the situation calls for.
to finance my 'vette!
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Droids with sensors, and ambushes... Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Also, would having droids flying around (repulsors) sending out sensor sweeps, not be more of a detrement to a sneak n peak style mission, or many others, by giving the imperials a heads up that you are there? I say that, cause IMO even if those droids only have 1km of sensor detection range, their buble of sensor energy would still be able to get detected by more powrful sensors....

garhkal, I think the answer to that question is that yes, having your R2 unit go out ahead and scan for targets would be pretty obvious. But, again it depends on the situatiuon to some extent. If you are in a spaceport, then maybe it's not going to be as conspicuous as if you were in the jungle. If you are sneaking up on a secret high-security installation it might not be as easy as sneaking up on a dusty, backwater, outer-rim outpost that hasn't seen any action in decades. If the characters want to do it right, they will need the right tools for the job. Get an espionage droid and program him to go into the spaceport and look around. Get a stealthy little pocket size droid to snoop around in secret complexes. Use a droid equipped with sensor baffling to do visual and audio only recon where a sensor broadcast would be a dead giveaway.

If my players had and R2 with a sensor suite in their speeder when they came across the ambush, I probably would not allow the droid to warn them unless they had told the droid to be on the lookout and what exactly it was supposed to be looking out for. Does your astromech droid know what constitutes an ambush? Does the droid have any more reason to be expecting an ambush than the PCs do? Even if the droid did see it coming, just what makes your droid think those people up ahead are hostile anyway? If the character's were expecting an ambush, why didn't they tell their droid everything it needed to know to spot one? Do the players think their droid is smarter than they are?

Bottom line: PCs saying their droid should autonomously be on the lookout for ambushes is a player copout for being caught unawares.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, and that is what i was trying to get at.

Case and point, where i had this come up once before (3 yrs ago iirc). The player controling the 2 droids, seekers modified with a low power sensor system (1km range), i specifically asked how often his droids would perform sensor sweeps and what they would be looking for. Later on, when they walked into the ambush (not one made the perception versus the imps sneak roll) he whined that his droid should have spotted them before hand.

When i pointed out, that his group had moved up 3km since the last sweep, and it was still 5 min before the droids next scheduled sweep, he soon shut up, though still grumbled about it.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good example. You asked for specific information, they gave it, and then they still walked into the ambush. The guy had no reason to keep grumbling. Crying, maybe. But not grumbling.

Boomer, Scott and I are definitely in agreement that the situation should dictate what's been done... and by "situation" that includes the characters defining frequency of sensor sweeps, or at what range they're performed, and narrowing down the variables so it becomes easy to determine whether or not they're going to be able to (let alone succeed) detect the ambush.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you can do to mitigate the crying if you realize that the group's pre-ambush warning system will fail, is to plant the suggestion in their minds that their precautions are only partially effective in the first place. A pair of seeker droids scanning every 5 minutes at 1km or less will still leave a window of opportunity for skillful or well-informed enemies to take advantage of.

I think garkhal's group would have had better results from the much simpler tactic of telling their droids to "watch out for anything suspicious, but keep a low profile" instead of specifying a specific search pattern. A veteran RPG group would probably not make this mistake, but it depends on what style of GM they are used to.

At any rate, if you tell the players from the git-go that their plan has a chance of failure, they will be less prone to whine than if you let them believe their plan is fool proof when you know it's not. Just suggest that while their plan does have it's disadvantages, you can't think of everything and time is limited.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, something to consider.
What makes having a droid superior to simply having a computer system, auto sensor, or anything else?
If the droid is so frickin' helpless it needs to be told to be on the lookout for something that might endanger itself, and than you need to describe what constitutes said danger, and THAN you need to hope it still makes it's own roll, than why the bloody hell did you bring a droid? It's apparantly no good if it cannot preform the basic functions we see droids carrying out in the games, the books, and, the movies.

Now that all really depends on the type of droid of course. But a droid that cannot lookout for an ambush for a party is one that cannot lookout for an ambush for itself is my only point there.

But I still have yet to read anymore of the situation in question other than there was an ambush, a player wanted the droids sensors to warn him, and the GM said no.
That is terribly vague. I'd love to give an answer to a situation I did not make up myself.
to finance my 'vette!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
Also, something to consider.
What makes having a droid superior to simply having a computer system, auto sensor, or anything else?
If the droid is so frickin' helpless it needs to be told to be on the lookout for something that might endanger itself, and than you need to describe what constitutes said danger, and THAN you need to hope it still makes it's own roll, than why the bloody hell did you bring a droid? It's apparantly no good if it cannot preform the basic functions we see droids carrying out in the games, the books, and, the movies.

Now that all really depends on the type of droid of course. But a droid that cannot lookout for an ambush for a party is one that cannot lookout for an ambush for itself is my only point there.

But I still have yet to read anymore of the situation in question other than there was an ambush, a player wanted the droids sensors to warn him, and the GM said no.
That is terribly vague. I'd love to give an answer to a situation I did not make up myself.

What more info do you need?
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about the intelligence of droids Boomer. Many droids are fairly smart and "streetwise" and might possibly know what an ambush is. But while C3PO is certainly an intelligent droid, do you think he would know an ambush even if he walked right into one? Judging from his Cloud City experience, probably not. If you equipped C3PO with fancy sensors and told him to watch out for an ambush, how well do you think he would do?

Now on the other hand, if you took a droid like those little Imperial seeker droids seen in the remake of ANH, cruising the streets of Mos Eisely, and told it to "watch out for an ambush", even though it's not even in the same league as C3PO intellect wise, it would probably be excellent at spotting ambushes. The one constant thing is that both would have to be told to be looking for an ambush.

Compare it like this. If the PCs hired an NPC instead of buying a droid, would you allow the NPC more chance to spot the ambush than the characters themselves, especially since nobody was expecting an ambush?

Also, garkhal did explain the sitaution in his later post above. The PC had two seekers and told them to scan every few minutes at a range of about 1km. The ambush happened during one of their "downtimes" and the sneak roll of the Imps beat the passive Spot roll of the characters. I'd call that perfectly fair in that particular instance, but to rehash what I think about the whining afterwords, telling them straight up that their plan has holes would make them realize it was not a fool proof plan.

The bottom line is that if the characters were EXPECTING an ambush, they should have been SAYING they were specifically looking out for one. Sine they clearly were not expecting it, they had no reason to take additional precautions, and clearly the Imps knew they were there (thus the ambush) so they could take precautions to avoid the passively scanning seeker droids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: