The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Stun bolts and light sabers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Stun bolts and light sabers. Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Stun bolts and light sabers. Reply with quote

in the films (well really only a new hope) we stun bolts as a donught shaped ring of energy. Also, in several novels, we are told that stun bolts are rings. Next, in one of the novels, specifically darksaber, Admiral Dalla defeats Calista, by shooting her with stun bolts, as Calista could not deflect them... So even with that reasoning, who here DOES allow stun bolts to be deflected by lightsabers?
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it hasn't come up in my group yet. We've mostly been attacked by stun grenades and you can't deflect those. I'd say they are not able to be deflected, though what about absorbed into the saber?

E
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see the jedi using ab/dis energy on the stun bolt, but not using the LS as a conduit...
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I could see the jedi using ab/dis energy on the stun bolt, but not using the LS as a conduit...

That's my thinking... A Jedi should be able to absorb it (provided their roll is sufficient to the task...) but I don't see the lightsaber being used to deflect it. As I understand the stun bolt, it's wider like that to have a higher chance of hitting the target, but part of the tradeoff is less damage done by the bolt. Being so spread out virtually guarantees it can't be stopped by a lightsaber.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A specific Jedi power called "Remain Conscious" exists to counter the effects of stun weapons and effects. Absorb/dissipate energy could likely also be used beforehand as could control pain. As far as I understand it, Remain Conscious can be used *after* being stunned by these weapons, then using control pain you are able to free yourself from the effect and stay resistant to it.

No, stun weapons are not a Jedis doom, even if they can not be deflected by lightsabers in your campaign. In the campaigns I play in, Lightsabers can deflect blaster set on stun like most other energy weapons.

The only really tricky weapons for Jedis are shotguns and similar projectile weapons as well as the so-called decksweepers, but those are either limited in penetration or range, and who in their right mind would engage a lightsaber swinging Jedi in close combat with a gun that can only be fired once every two turns...? Wink
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my game, enterprising characters found many ways to defeat jedi. As seen in the prequel movies, if one simply shoots at a jedi with enough regular blaster weapons, sooner or later they will go down. The trick is getting them to stick around long enough. Other tricks involve kidnapping innocents as ransom for a jedi, using biological weapons, acid spraying guns, fully automatic shotguns, cortosis bullets and a lot of other nifty tricks. My group of bounty hunters got so good at it that only jedi of very high power were a match for them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akari wrote:
A specific Jedi power called "Remain Conscious" exists to counter the effects of stun weapons and effects. Absorb/dissipate energy could likely also be used beforehand as could control pain. As far as I understand it, Remain Conscious can be used *after* being stunned by these weapons, then using control pain you are able to free yourself from the effect and stay resistant to it.

IIRC you are thinking of the resist stun power. Remain conscious is for any wounding situation that you go to incap or worse..
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True... "Resist Stun" can be used as well. Haven't even though of that... 8)

Remain Conscious can be used when the Jedi doesn't have his defenses up yet. Remain Conscious says its an easy roll for stunned characters, so I would think its useful for this as well... So we have four Jedi powers that can be used to resist stun weapons. I guess most are a little overlapping in this regard.
TarlSS
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cortosis bullets? Projectile weapons cannot be deflected by lightsabers. This fact is made much of in the Dark Nest novels, where the enemy uses Verpine Shatterguns- not very damaging, but undeflectable. (Apparently these are not the d6 shatter guns that do 6d damage) The projectiles merely pass through the blade, superheated. It's not really a problem- most Jedi are as good as dodging bullets as they are deflecting blasterbolts.

Of course, the easiest counter for Jedi against projectile weapons would be what the rest of the galaxy does, wearing body armor. While the more traditional Jedi don't do this, smart fellows like Kyle Katarn and pretty much all of the Sith take this advice.
Vartax
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the metal stucture from the hand of thrawn books that is heavy armor resistance even against lightsabers.
scott2978
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what cortosis bullets are for, they can't be deflected or melted by a lightsaber.

But the most imaginative way to defeat a lightsaber I've ever seen is when my bounty hunters used a simple EMP pulse to short out the jedi's lightsaber. Then a good shot from a sniper puts a clean hole in said jedi and it's miller time. Best part is the Jedi can't see, hear or feel the EMP pulse so he doesn't even know his lightsaber won't deflect the incoming blaster bolt :) Makes for an entertaining, as well as effective, takedown.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen that done, to not only neutralize the jedi, but the bounty hunter in his power armor...
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do allow lightsabers to deflect stun bolts. Never had any reason not to.

Anybody got anything?
to finance my 'vette!
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not looking like it, Boomer... Kinda like on the other thread, where if a lightsaber can deflect a whole branch set of lightning, then why not a stun bolt?
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Battlefront 1 and 2, a lightsaber deflects the heaviest gun of an AT-AT. Aiming it back at the AT-AT... that's a diffrent matter entirely.
to finance my 'vette!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: