The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How to handle the big guns...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> How to handle the big guns... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the turbolaser's beam carries so much energy that even though the actual beam is rather thin, it has a "heat aura" around it, which would cause the "blast radius". It's not that it explodes on impact, it's just that it sheds a lot of heat and energy around it.

Again, not a technical observation by any stretch of the imagination. Just how I see it.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't want to be 100% factual, just realistic, logical.
If we were to be 100% logical we'd probably spend the better part of a century figuring out how Hyperdrives worked before we played.

Anyway, I like that last explaination. shedding heat. Now it actually isn't possible for this to happen while the laser is in flight, due the fact that the laser contains no heat on it's own. Heat is generated when light contacts matter.
So, the heat rapidly created and dissipated by the laser once it contacs a material target could create a "blast radius".
But, than the blast radius might be effected depending on just what it hits.
to finance my 'vette!
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbolasers are, actually, really, really, really big blasters. There are no actual "Lasers" in the Star Wars universe. The CALL them lasers, but they're really blaster-based technology.

This is mentioned, a few times, in the WEG Books. There's even optional rules on how much Blaster Gas a Turbolaser goes through in one of the Far Orbit books.

My group used the rule that Blaster Cannons and regular "Laser" Cannons are robust enough they can use "The Cheap Stuff" (Low Grade or Artificial Blaster Gas), but Turbolasers require the Good Stuff 'cause they're so powerful, and regular Blasters require it because they're built to such tight tolerances (They're small, in other words.).

Kinda like Lawnmowers and High-Performance Engines requiring High Octane Fuel whereas you can get away with the cheap stuff in your Sub-Compact's Four-Banger.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to reiterate my explanation of what I've read, the radius of the blast is 10 meters from the point of impact in every direction.

For those of us that don't use the metric system, that's about thirty feet north, south, east, west, and all points in between. So in actuality, it comes up to a hole about 20 meters, or 60 feet in diameter. That is big enough to almost completely destroy the Millennium Falcon! Or in Earth-speak, one of these entirely!

A UH-60L Black Hawk.
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but would the Hummer survive afterwards? Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:
Considering we have yet to see any precedence that would cause any of the energy weapons in Star Wars to have a blast radius, save for the pulse cannon and disruptor in a few of the games, than really, it makes no sense.
The blasters are focused explosions, so really that might have a blast radius, yet they don't.
The lasers, in all cases behave like lasers. This includes the space battles where we see the lasers having a definite length and even lead time.
In space, fighting at those distances, at those speeds, light does indeed have lead time on it.
It takes 3 seconds for light to go from the earths surface to the moon's. At closer distances of 100km or so, you can see why a laser gun would appear to behave more like a bullet.

Just wanted to get the "but the lasers act like bullets" argument out of the way to begin with. No, they are acting like lasers in all respects, they do in almost everything read and published about them thus far.
Why this one instance do they have a blast radius?

I could have sworn several of the blaster artillery had blast radius....

Quote:
Well I don't want to be 100% factual, just realistic, logical.
If we were to be 100% logical we'd probably spend the better part of a century figuring out how Hyperdrives worked before we played.

Anyway, I like that last explaination. shedding heat. Now it actually isn't possible for this to happen while the laser is in flight, due the fact that the laser contains no heat on it's own. Heat is generated when light contacts matter.
So, the heat rapidly created and dissipated by the laser once it contacs a material target could create a "blast radius".
But, than the blast radius might be effected depending on just what it hits.

Which is why i was looking at damage 'zones'...
Ejacobs
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main amount of damage from the "explosion" could be from the destructive force of the exploding duracreet/dirt/metal that the Capital Scale Turbolaser has impacted. The beam IMO isn't going to just hit the ground and be absorbed. Much of it will be reflected back, which is how it knocks stuff over and destroys land; thereby being a Star Destroyer.

JMHO
E
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could have sworn several of the blaster artillery had blast radius....

Ok, cool. That makes tons of sense. I'll have to look into it.

Quote:
That is big enough to almost completely destroy the Millennium Falcon! Or in Earth-speak... ...A UH-60L Black Hawk.

The people at WEG used the metric system extensivly... they were also very bad with it. They think an A-wing is 9 meters long, that is 30 feet. 3 stories. 10 yards.
And that is not their only size descrepancy, but let's move on.

Quote:
Insert everything else not yet quoted here.

Great points for and against (mostly for) lasers having a blast radius. I love it when the team here at Rancorpit comes togethor. Very Happy
to finance my 'vette!
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer wrote:

The people at WEG used the metric system extensivly... they were also very bad with it. They think an A-wing is 9 meters long, that is 30 feet. 3 stories. 10 yards.

And that is not their only size descrepancy, but let's move on.

True, true, but a Black Hawk is 60 feet, 20 meters, long, so would be engulfed in the blast radius of a Turbolaser shot, or at least become the blast radius as noted above! Wink

A-wing...9 meters...hmmmm, that is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h! Very Happy
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
True, true, but a Black Hawk is 60 feet, 20 meters, long, so would be engulfed in the blast radius of a Turbolaser shot, or at least become the blast radius as noted above!

A-wing...9 meters...hmmmm, that is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h!

What I am trying to say though is that you can't trust the metric system in Star Wars. You must either make it feet, or cut it in half.
The A-wing is reall 4.5 meters.
The blast radius might be 5 meters, making 10 meters the diametere. Or, they might mean 10 feet.

But than again, I don't remember this information on Turbolaser blast radius even being West End Games info. Which brings us all the way back to wether or not we should just toss it out the window.
to finance my 'vette!
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but I was also going by the book reference I had read. It described the turbolaser beam cutting a 10 meter diameter hole through a landing pad.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
True, but I was also going by the book reference I had read. It described the turbolaser beam cutting a 10 meter diameter hole through a landing pad.

1. If the hole is 10 meters in diamter, that would indeed be a 5 meter radius.
2. This may already be reflected in the rules with the standard damage a turbolaser does to a structure. But we don't know the body or scale of this landing pad.
to finance my 'vette!
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant radius...my baddie!
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Fer cryin out loud! Mad

Anyway, my second point still stands. Wink
to finance my 'vette!
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, spoiler:

[spoiler]It was a landing pad on Kasshyyk. Wooden planks on one of the Woorssyr, or however you spell it, trees![/spoiler]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: