The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Minimum number of players
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Minimum number of players Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Minimum number of players Reply with quote

Hello! I'm new to these forums so please forgive my newbishness.

Would anybody happen to have any wisdom regarding a minimum number of players for a successful session? Is it possible to have only one PC and a GM and still have a good time? If so, is there any advice on applying this from the perspective of a GM?
Thank you very much. I've been watching this forum and everyone here is really courteous. =)
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the minimum number of players is 2. And you can have a jolly perfect adventure with only 2 players, that's mostly how I've been playing for the last couple of years. Now, only a single player and a GM is really too little for a proper adventure. It can work for an introduction or just to forward a certain plot thread. But for an actual campaign, it's far too limited. There's just not enough variants to make the adventure interesting.

As for the perfect number of players, I'd say it's GM plus 3-4. Enough variables but still enough focus and control.

Again, that's my experience. I'm sure others will have different opinions.
Chabit Rane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that 3 to 4 players are best IMO. Less and you have to little ideas, more and it can get confusing for the GM to keep track of players actions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, the greatest adventures can be had with only one player.
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks Gry! I've been itching to get back into RP'ing for a while now but available players are limited...

You know what would be cool....a single-player RPG! Wait, I've alredy got some of those for my computer. Oh yeah....
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sometimes, the greatest adventures can be had with only one player"

Really? Would someone GM any differently with only one PC?
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's easier to commit your entire creative faculties to a single character. You can develop an Epic story about the character, all others being NPC'd extras. I look to Beowulf as an example, that story was completely about him, the others were merely "NPCs".

If the player is a Jedi, then it's that much better. It fully embodies the whole Star Wars idea. I'm not knocking a large group, mind you, but again, single player campaigns can be fun.
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamfke wrote:
I think it's easier to commit your entire creative faculties to a single character. You can develop an Epic story about the character, all others being NPC'd extras. I look to Beowulf as an example, that story was completely about him, the others were merely "NPCs".

If the player is a Jedi, then it's that much better. It fully embodies the whole Star Wars idea. I'm not knocking a large group, mind you, but again, single player campaigns can be fun.

Well that sure sounds cool! I've played mainly 3-4 person games. I've found that the more people there are, the slower the game progresses given the volume of rolls ( I wish I had a dice roller back then). That's good to know! I guess my RP'ing days aren't over after all! Thanks a bunch!
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find single player adventures to be too controlled. You end up lacking that spark of unexpectedness that comes from two players interacting with the situation, and bouncing it off each other. The inner conflicts, the sidetrackings, that kind of thing. I believe single player adventures can only really work if you have a truly endeavoring player, who'll easily embody the adventure fully and be alwasy coming up with stuff on his own. A passive player will make such an adventure extremely dull.
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
I find single player adventures to be too controlled. You end up lacking that spark of unexpectedness that comes from two players interacting with the situation, and bouncing it off each other. The inner conflicts, the sidetrackings, that kind of thing. I believe single player adventures can only really work if you have a truly endeavoring player, who'll easily embody the adventure fully and be alwasy coming up with stuff on his own. A passive player will make such an adventure extremely dull.

I do agree with you as well. I've only been a GM, never a PC. With one PC, the pace really would be dependant on the PC's endeavor. I guess there are pros and cons.
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:

That's it exactly, I did say they can be great. It is a blessing to find someone whose willing to envelop themselves fully in their character enough to bring out the best in a game. Without it, it is dull. But hey, if you're simply wanting to game to keep the fire smoldering, anybody'll do!

Hey, Exoviper, If you'd like to try your hand at Play by Post gaming, you can try to get into a game here, or come on over to my boards. Link's in my sig.
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it exactly, I did say they can be great. It is a blessing to find someone whose willing to envelop themselves fully in their character enough to bring out the best in a game. Without it, it is dull. But hey, if you're simply wanting to game to keep the fire smoldering, anybody'll do!

Hey, Exoviper, If you'd like to try your hand at Play by Post gaming, you can try to get into a game here, or come on over to my boards. Link's in my sig.[/quote]

Yeah? That would be awesome! Thank you very much! I've been browsing the PbP boards but I'm slightly confuzzed as to how the process functions,... but I'm a quick learner (with enough coffee in my system). I gladly accept you invitiation. 8)
Jamfke
Admiral
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, come on over!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, three players is the bare minimum...
Hanfan29
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it depends on the people playing and the group dynamic i GM a group of four close friends and the wity banter is straight out of star wars. I like to GM with one player too but if u have a large group it can be fun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: