The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Good vs. Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Good vs. Evil Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathaniel
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...

I think that in nature ideal conditions doesn't exist, but RPG is a fun so from time to time is nice to see really BLACK NPC character (like in some films Rolling Eyes ) and kick his @$$ (like ... Wink ) but I prefer play my characters with more shades between white and black - some rebel hero with dark past, or bounty hunter with remorse...

like Max ( Wink ) write:

Quote:
Choice! That is the real catalyst of the different characters. There must be a conscious decision made by the player, through the character, that affects not only that individual's life, but the paths of all the other player characters.

Crell Damar
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree... the conflict is so much more fun to play. A character that is somewhat balanced between good and evil. One that feels the pull of both good and evil. The Jedi knight filled with sorrow or regret because of the past. Or, the Hutt enforcer whom tries to shut out emotion, because it clouds his judgement, and makes him feel remorse when he believes he shouldn't, but his daily life is changed when he chooses to take care of a child who now depends on him.

(Neither of these characters are mine, but they have interesting situations for role playing, although I believe one of the characters forsakes his goodness a little too easily. He knows who he is Wink )

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ragnar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to concur. This is the reason I enjoy playing Ragnar sooo much. I have to struggle with my good and evil. Should I be the Shining Hero and save the day or the Dark Villain out for myself or perhaps the Betrayed Soul out for vengance. It makes the game a lot more fun.
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Bernas' current situation, I'd have to say that "neither" is appealing too.

Obviously, the things Bernas does aren't anywhere near good. Even though they are done for the greater Good of humanity. However, he isn't evil, since he "brings the fight" to Evil.

In order to survive, Bernas has had to take an almost passive neutrality to life. He remains more at peace and in calm than when he was a Jedi, at least to the casual observer. But, if you could read his mind (and Jedi can't since he has no reaction to The Force), you would see a person constantly in anguish. The imagery is like a duck on a pond: all quiet on the surface, yet underneath the legs are kicking like crazy.

It will be interesting to see if Bernas ever does get his Force connection back. But what will be more interesting for me will be getting his connection back to emotion. For there the Dark Side will be waiting...
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't know, I've never been a player. In the fews SW games I've been involved in, I've always been the GM. And the only major GM character I played in them was an obnoxious protocol droid named P.I.T.A who was good for annoying PCs with. I've come up with a ton of NPCs, some heros, some villians, most kinda middle of the road like P.I.T.A, but beyond the droid the most character's I played were either thugs who were just there to throw at the characters or computer simulated TIEs and TIE Bombers for a training mission, basically nobodies to really get excited about cause of their real basic stats.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fun a a player to play GOOD characters, but I have alot more fun as a GM, playing EVIL characters. 8) Evil or Very Mad

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Starla Starfighter
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love playing the good girl that like most girls, has a darker side if needed. I played Starla for 8 years and got several dark side points, but in the end redeemed myself and married a Jedi ( volar the healer) He still won't teach Starla any force skills. But I am the neck and could turn the all powerful Jedi to my will... OK. just get him to carry all my shopping bags and of course hand over his cred-stick! There was the time a blackmail princess Leia to sell back to her the crown jewels. Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also sa, hero. Lots of RPing moments come about from those moral quandres that come up from being the good guy.... eg, do you kill or not.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't play a villain if I wanted to... I just don't have the heart to be one. Akari, my character has a very dark background (being the daughter of the queen of a Nightsister-like tribe of force witches) but really is an unshakable goodie now (much too good, if you ask most of the other group members) and I hope that will remain like this. Though I'm no sure what our GM has in store for me...

Even the droid character I played before her was a goodie (an he was basically the bodyguard and terminator of a crimelord), while almost all other characters in the group got a few darkside points here and there.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of my characters 'straddle' the line of good and evil. Take my current guy, qualen pennik. He thinks nothing of shooting someone in the head at range, when he does not expect anything, nor does he have heartache with wounding someone in the leg, and leaving them there minus their armor and weapons, to fend for themselves.
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends really, but actually I enjoy an anti-hero more than anything.

Akari wrote:
I couldn't play a villain if I wanted to... I just don't have the heart to be one. Akari, my character has a very dark background (being the daughter of the queen of a Nightsister-like tribe of force witches) but really is an unshakable goodie now (much too good, if you ask most of the other group members) and I hope that will remain like this. Though I'm no sure what our GM has in store for me...

Even the droid character I played before her was a goodie (an he was basically the bodyguard and terminator of a crimelord), while almost all other characters in the group got a few darkside points here and there.

I think you might want to try an anti-hero type. That can build you up to the task of playing a villian.

Remember, there are a couple of types of villian. Sometimes my villians aren't really villians at all, just people with an opposing view.

Currently I've got an Imperial Grand Admiral trying to unite the Imperial Remnant under one rule. His. However he is out trying to peacefully negotiate treaties with planets for resources and trying to deal peacefully with the other Imperial Warlords, and knocking them off one by one when they come after him. He's a really nice guy. He just happens to think that the Galaxy works better under Imperial rule. During the fledgling days of the New Republic, that really was true.

The New Republic is just scared of what he might do when he finally does acheive unity within the Empire. Strangely enough, most of the players like him. Though they are on opposite sides.

The point is not all villians or even heroes are evil or good. Most of the time there is a mixture, with tendancies leaning one way or another.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds a bit like Admiral Pellaeon. He's really not a bad guy, just happens to be on THAT side of the fence... Rolling Eyes
Firehawk0220
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Sounds a bit like Admiral Pellaeon. He's really not a bad guy, just happens to be on THAT side of the fence... Rolling Eyes

Yeah, there are similarities, though the personality differs of course. One thing is this admiral has a big secret.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Care to send pms out of what that is??
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about making a smuggler as my next character... Like Han Solo, just a bit more... dark. Lots of streetwise, dirty infighting, knowledge (and abuse) of narcotics, piloting, sabotage. I just don't know if this character might turn goodie again if I play it.

I'm a girl who is not able to cross a red light on a completely abandoned road in the middle of the night because its just not the right thing to do. I try playing characters different from me and in the beginning it usually works out well, but in time I somehow always fall back into my old ways.

But you're right, it might be helpful for me as a roleplayer to play a character that is drastically different from me. Try to understand how it feels like, being on the other side. I might even play a male character for the first time... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: