The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Element of Fire - IC- Episode II First Contact
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Element of Fire - Hellcat -> Element of Fire - IC- Episode II First Contact Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Is something wrong?" a voice asks behind Roth.

(OOC: Danger Sense up)

Wanted Poster
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
"Acceptable levels of progress have been achived. Hyperdrive modulator must now be configured. This is the most delicate part of the repair. Monitor the power output and hyperdrive field stabilizer..." THe KAWD says as it points to the displays "Indicate if any of them redline while the modulator is being adjusted. This colaboration should allow for a more expedient repair."

"Hmmm, very well," the unidentified alien says before motioning between itself and the Rodian. "Which of us do you want monitoring the output? The other may be able to help you with the repairs."

Wanted Poster
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Not so much, Roth says, glancing over his shoulder to see who is speaking to him. "I'm simply keeping my awareness up for that last fighter out there; it appears to be damaged enough to be of no concern. However, I'm not going to allow it to pull a sneak attack on us when our guard is down."
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roth sees Cailum standing behind him, looking over his shoulder.

"Always wise to be ready for a sneak attack by an enemy. Is this equipment working properly and fully?"

Wanted Poster
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No, sir," he says, shrugging. "I experienced several malfunctions during our battle." He adds, "I didn't feel it right to blow that fighter out of the sky when they were no longer presenting a direct threat. I hope they jump at the chance to survive the encounter. It would be a shame to destroy them needlessly."

He looks the console over. "I know the KAWD has been working on repairing the ship. Let me see where we're at," he says, flipping on the intercom. "Syllri? Could you please call up a new repair status log so we can see where we're at? That will help us get a better picture of what needs to be fixed next."

Looking at Cailum, he said, "You know, I never got the chance to properly thank you for the training you gave me. I learned a lot from you in the short time you taught me.

"One thing I'd meant to ask you, but never got the chance...I am very curious about your katanas. They will obviously stand up against a lightsaber blade; they're what you used when sparring with me.

"How are they made? What materials are used in their construction?" He paused. "How could I acquire a pair? Did you make them, or were they made for you? COULD I acquire a set?" He looks down, then back up. "I never got to ask you why you won't use a lightsaber. Perhaps it's none of my business, and I respect that. However, I definitely see the tactical advantage to them; they're silent, and they will give you an initial advantage over an opponent wielding a lightsaber, because they will not expect your weapon to bear up."
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
"No, sir," he says, shrugging. "I experienced several malfunctions during our battle." He adds, "I didn't feel it right to blow that fighter out of the sky when they were no longer presenting a direct threat. I hope they jump at the chance to survive the encounter. It would be a shame to destroy them needlessly."

"It would be much worse than a shame, Jedi Skelnor. It would be an act of darkness. To kill a defeated enemy needlessly is to listen to the will of the dark side of the Force. It is one thing to kill a defeated creature of the dark side in defense of the helpless that creature could potentially kill in the future. We should not glory in such actions and should mourn even for that creature despite the fact that it is of the dark side. But a being that could be redeemed from the dark side or who may not have fallen to the dark side but still is a threat to others, we must not kill them needlessly. Should they pretend to be defeated and then try to thrust a blade between our ribs, then it is one thing to kill in self defense or in defense of others. But still do not glory in their deaths." Cailum then smiles at Roth. "Yet I do not have to tell you of these things. You are a Knight now, you well know what I speak of."

Cailum continues to study the targeting data as Roth talks to Syllri. It seems rather clear he is not intrested in Roth's conversation with his teammate but rather in studying the Krath craft. Maybe he's concerned that Roth is right and the pilot is trying to play possum or maybe it's the fact that he's a battlemaster and he's trying to learn as much as he can about the enemy craft as possible so as to better deal with it in the future.

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Looking at Cailum, he said, "You know, I never got the chance to properly thank you for the training you gave me. I learned a lot from you in the short time you taught me.

Cailum looks at Roth with the same kind of understanding smile he's seen all Masters give to Knights and their students. "You do not need to thank me Jedi Skelnor, just merely putting what I have taught you to use defending yourself and others is all the thanks I truely need."

Jedi Skyler wrote:
"One thing I'd meant to ask you, but never got the chance...I am very curious about your katanas. They will obviously stand up against a lightsaber blade; they're what you used when sparring with me.

"How are they made? What materials are used in their construction?" He paused. "How could I acquire a pair? Did you make them, or were they made for you? COULD I acquire a set?" He looks down, then back up. "I never got to ask you why you won't use a lightsaber. Perhaps it's none of my business, and I respect that. However, I definitely see the tactical advantage to them; they're silent, and they will give you an initial advantage over an opponent wielding a lightsaber, because they will not expect your weapon to bear up."

"Like you, I was taught to use one of these when I was training to become a Knight," Cailum says, tapping Roth's lightsaber. "But my first master introduced me to Master Syd when there was no more Master Eamas could teach me. Master Syd was a Neti, like Master Bnar. You may already know this, but in case you don't then let me explain something to you. Neti are a very long lived species, their average life span is several thousand years. Master Syd explained that she had lived even longer than most of her kind, but even she had not been alive when Master Awdrysta Pina died many thousands of years ago. However, she was one who believed in the older ways. Among these is the use of the Jedi katana rather than the lightsaber. It is something she passed on to as many of her students as possible, including myself."

Cailum then steps back and draws one of his blades, holding it for Roth to see. Roth can see now that the curved edge of the blade is decorated with images he'd been shown while training to become a Jedi, images that depict the battles of the First Great Schism over twenty thousand years years ago.

"For thousands of years the Jedi did not have lightsabers. The first primitive lightsabers didn't begin to make an appearance until about eleven thousand five hundred four years ago. But it wasn't until about a thousand years ago that the first modern lightsabers came into exsistence, making the weapon more reliable and about eight hundred years ago that we finally figured out how to make a lightsaber that does not require a power pack we must plug these weapons into. Yet during all this time there have still been Jedi who cling to the older tradition of using any kind of non-powered sword rather than blades of pure energy.

"I prefer the Jedi katana to other swords as they are the weapons Master Syd taught me further Jedi combat techniques with, but in truth I can use any sword. But I find I can not as readily connect with the Force in battle with a lightsaber as it's eletrical pulse seems to interfer with that connection. No, I do not mean any lightsaber near me, just any lightsaber I am using. And as you say, they are more stealthy than a lightsaber.

"But at the same time that stealth comes with it's own price. I may be forced to use a bit more force to get someone to back down where as the hum of a lightsaber may allow you to accomplish such a thing faster. And with the blade weighing nothing, it is easier to halt your swing as you do not have the momentum of the blade working against you."

He then sheaths the blade before continuing.

"As for what these blades are made of and how much they cost, I would charge you more than they are worth as I forged them myself under Master Syd's guidance. Just like the creation of one's personal lightsaber better allows them to connect with their weapon, so to did the forging of one's personal sword better allow them to connect with the sword in battle. But it was an art that not all Jedi would learn. These blades are forged from a durasteel alloy. A true Jedi sword, whether it is a Jedi broadswoard or a Jedi katana, is a sword forged by a Jedi.

"As for the reason they are able to withstand your lightsaber blade, it's a little ability that allows a Jedi to temporarily imbue their weapon with the Force, making them both more resistant to damage and also more dangerous. Also, I was taught a little ability that is the precursor of the ability you use with a lightsaber in battle."

Wanted Poster
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"It would be much worse than a shame, Jedi Skelnor. It would be an act of darkness. To kill a defeated enemy needlessly is to listen to the will of the dark side of the Force. It is one thing to kill a defeated creature of the dark side in defense of the helpless that creature could potentially kill in the future. We should not glory in such actions and should mourn even for that creature despite the fact that it is of the dark side. But a being that could be redeemed from the dark side or who may not have fallen to the dark side but still is a threat to others, we must not kill them needlessly. Should they pretend to be defeated and then try to thrust a blade between our ribs, then it is one thing to kill in self defense or in defense of others. But still do not glory in their deaths." Cailum then smiles at Roth. "Yet I do not have to tell you of these things. You are a Knight now, you well know what I speak of."

Roth smiles modestly. "I wouldn't say I'm a Knight yet. I have much more to learn before I've earned that."

Quote:
Cailum looks at Roth with the same kind of understanding smile he's seen all Masters give to Knights and their students. "You do not need to thank me Jedi Skelnor, just merely putting what I have taught you to use defending yourself and others is all the thanks I truely need."

"I do need to thank you. So many of our Order act like it's simply their RIGHT to be trained, and too many do not show proper gratitude for the knowledge they're given. Plus, you are a battlemaster, as am I. We walk a finer line than most, and I appreciate the time you've taken to help me make sure I never swerve from that razor's edge."

Quote:
"Like you, I was taught to use one of these when I was training to become a Knight," Cailum says, tapping Roth's lightsaber. "But my first master introduced me to Master Syd when there was no more Master Eamas could teach me. Master Syd was a Neti, like Master Bnar. You may already know this, but in case you don't then let me explain something to you. Neti are a very long lived species, their average life span is several thousand years. Master Syd explained that she had lived even longer than most of her kind, but even she had not been alive when Master Awdrysta Pina died many thousands of years ago. However, she was one who believed in the older ways. Among these is the use of the Jedi katana rather than the lightsaber. It is something she passed on to as many of her students as possible, including myself."

Cailum then steps back and draws one of his blades, holding it for Roth to see. Roth can see now that the curved edge of the blade is decorated with images he'd been shown while training to become a Jedi, images that depict the battles of the First Great Schism over twenty thousand years years ago.

"For thousands of years the Jedi did not have lightsabers. The first primitive lightsabers didn't begin to make an appearance until about eleven thousand five hundred four years ago. But it wasn't until about a thousand years ago that the first modern lightsabers came into exsistence, making the weapon more reliable and about eight hundred years ago that we finally figured out how to make a lightsaber that does not require a power pack we must plug these weapons into. Yet during all this time there have still been Jedi who cling to the older tradition of using any kind of non-powered sword rather than blades of pure energy.

"I prefer the Jedi katana to other swords as they are the weapons Master Syd taught me further Jedi combat techniques with, but in truth I can use any sword. But I find I can not as readily connect with the Force in battle with a lightsaber as it's eletrical pulse seems to interfer with that connection. No, I do not mean any lightsaber near me, just any lightsaber I am using. And as you say, they are more stealthy than a lightsaber.

"But at the same time that stealth comes with it's own price. I may be forced to use a bit more force to get someone to back down where as the hum of a lightsaber may allow you to accomplish such a thing faster. And with the blade weighing nothing, it is easier to halt your swing as you do not have the momentum of the blade working against you."

He then sheaths the blade before continuing.

"As for what these blades are made of and how much they cost, I would charge you more than they are worth as I forged them myself under Master Syd's guidance. Just like the creation of one's personal lightsaber better allows them to connect with their weapon, so to did the forging of one's personal sword better allow them to connect with the sword in battle. But it was an art that not all Jedi would learn. These blades are forged from a durasteel alloy. A true Jedi sword, whether it is a Jedi broadswoard or a Jedi katana, is a sword forged by a Jedi.

"As for the reason they are able to withstand your lightsaber blade, it's a little ability that allows a Jedi to temporarily imbue their weapon with the Force, making them both more resistant to damage and also more dangerous. Also, I was taught a little ability that is the precursor of the ability you use with a lightsaber in battle."

"Really," Roth says, obviously enthralled by the information. "I had suspected you'd made them; it makes sense that tradition would be passed down, regardless of the type of weapon." He checks the targeting screen to see the disposition of the fighter, then continues. "Would you teach me these things?" He shrugs. "I very much like the lightsaber. It is elegant. It is efficient. It is...beautiful, in its way. But I also see great beauty in your blades. In weapons of all kinds. I know we're not to glory in death, even necessary death. But I have always found a certain terrible beauty in weapons, in being able to hone your skills to the point of making a strike, hitting exactly where you were aiming, not a micron off, and being able to control the damage you do. Being able to keep from killing that individual who refused to give you the same courtesy. Sure, not all of them (or even most of them) will ever realize or thank you for what you did, but every now and then, down the road, there's that ONE who knows you could have wiped them out, but chose to let them live. And they're grateful."

He looks away, then back again. "I want to gain that proficiency with every weapon I use. I want to broaden my knowledge to encompass any weapon I can get my hands on. That will make me more versatile and hopefully, more merciful as I'm better able to control myself."
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The rodian should monitor the dials."

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Very well," the big alien says to the KAWD before turning to the Rodian and pointing again to the display the KAWD pointed out. "Pay attention to the readouts as the droid instructed, little one. But also attempt to pay attention to what we do for it may allow you to learn."

The alien then turns back to the KAWD.

"Where shall we begin?"

Wanted Poster
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Unclassified sapient being should modulate the output of the hyperdrive field stabilizer. The rodians readings will indicate when each level of which there are five is within acceptable parameters. Modulation is done by adjusting emitter array's output through the series of switches connected to the fuses that have just been replaced. The Krath Advanced War Droid Will be testing all power conduits and making sure all replacement relays can take an acceptable percentage of the total power output generated by the ships engines. This task has the greatest danger of critical overload. If the Krath Advanced War Droid gives the signal, which will consist of a loud vocalisation then the kill switch on the replacement fuses must be trigged immediately."

Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Roth smiles modestly. "I wouldn't say I'm a Knight yet. I have much more to learn before I've earned that."

"All Jedi have much to learn, even if they have become masters. A true Jedi never stops learning. Any Jedi who claims to have learned all there is to learn is a concieted nerfherder who will soon find themselves disconnected from the Force. And they will doubtlesly be shocked by a threat they never expected, a threat that will mean their death," Cailum instructs, pointing to the targeting screen. "For instance, take this ship. I certainly have never seen it before. When the Krath captured Yette, T3, Giric, and I, Captain Rapet announced the Nova Dawn was being attacked by a Krath gunship and and an escort of Chaos fighters. It would not be wise for me to expect these are the same as the Chaos Fighters just because the Krath use them. By studying this design I may learn a little about it's strengths and weakness, and the more I learn about what it can do, the more I can advise the Order and the Republic military how we may deal with these fighters in the future."

Jedi Skyler wrote:
"I do need to thank you. So many of our Order act like it's simply their RIGHT to be trained, and too many do not show proper gratitude for the knowledge they're given. Plus, you are a battlemaster, as am I. We walk a finer line than most, and I appreciate the time you've taken to help me make sure I never swerve from that razor's edge."

"You are right that there are those in the Order who foolishly believe it is a right to be trained, but there are also many in this Order who feel it is a privilege to be trained as a Jedi. It will be a very sad day, indeed, when too many within the Order forget this. And it may mark a time when the Sith virtually exterminate the Jedi once and for all.

"As I explained, you thank me by putting what I taught you to good use. And you may further thank me by passing along what you have learned. Call it a measure of immortality in this plain of exsistence. Though nothing like the immortality we shall achieve when we become one with the Force, we shall each be remembered long after our names are forgotten as long as the knowledge and training we pass along to our students continues to be passed on to their students."

Jedi Skyler wrote:
"Really," Roth says, obviously enthralled by the information. "I had suspected you'd made them; it makes sense that tradition would be passed down, regardless of the type of weapon." He checks the targeting screen to see the disposition of the fighter, then continues. "Would you teach me these things?" He shrugs. "I very much like the lightsaber. It is elegant. It is efficient. It is...beautiful, in its way. But I also see great beauty in your blades. In weapons of all kinds. I know we're not to glory in death, even necessary death. But I have always found a certain terrible beauty in weapons, in being able to hone your skills to the point of making a strike, hitting exactly where you were aiming, not a micron off, and being able to control the damage you do. Being able to keep from killing that individual who refused to give you the same courtesy. Sure, not all of them (or even most of them) will ever realize or thank you for what you did, but every now and then, down the road, there's that ONE who knows you could have wiped them out, but chose to let them live. And they're grateful."

He looks away, then back again. "I want to gain that proficiency with every weapon I use. I want to broaden my knowledge to encompass any weapon I can get my hands on. That will make me more versatile and hopefully, more merciful as I'm better able to control myself."

"There is much I can teach you, but do not believe I am very proficent with most weapons I handle. Quite the contrary, I understand how they work and what they are, but I do not train with them. Being a battlemaster means I need to understand such things and to have at least some basic training with weapons, though not all weapons. And certainly it does not mean I must be proficent in using those weapons.

"I do admire your desire to gain proficency with any weapon you handle. But I also caution you to become proficent with only a handful of weapons and recieve basic training with a few others. It is unwise, even for a battlemaster, to spend so much time training to become a master of wall weapons they may use. Even the best of us may fall victim to the lure of use of weapons, a lure that itself could lead to the dark side."

Cailum straightens, seemingly deep in thought.

"I could teach you to forge a Jedi sword, even a Jedi katana, if you wish. But keep in mind that it could take longer to forge a sword of any kind than it takes to build a lightsaber. And the more elegant you make the blade appear when you forge it, then longer it will take you to forge. For instance, it took me three and a half months to forge each of my katanas due to the elaborate etching I placed into them. Had I been less worried about their appearance it would have only taken me a few short weeks to forge both rather than seven months to forge both."

Wanted Poster
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
"Unclassified sapient being should modulate the output of the hyperdrive field stabilizer. The rodians readings will indicate when each level of which there are five is within acceptable parameters. Modulation is done by adjusting emitter array's output through the series of switches connected to the fuses that have just been replaced. The Krath Advanced War Droid Will be testing all power conduits and making sure all replacement relays can take an acceptable percentage of the total power output generated by the ships engines. This task has the greatest danger of critical overload. If the Krath Advanced War Droid gives the signal, which will consist of a loud vocalisation then the kill switch on the replacement fuses must be trigged immediately."

"I am Giric Gynn of the Yegoglar, unclassified Krath Advanced War Droid," the large alien states in a low tone that would normally seem menacing were it not for the alien's seemingly current disintrest in violence. The KAWD does a quick search of it's databanks but finds no mention of any species called the Yegoglar.

The three would be engineers set to work on the Raptor's backup hyperdrive. The KAWD finds that sadly many of the replacement relays, though in working order, were meant for use on the primary hyperdrive and do not actually fit the backup. Unfortunately, the primary hyperdrive is in such bad shape that even with placing the replacement relays into it it still will be a long ways from being as functional as the backup currently is. It would be easier to build a bridging system for each individual relay so as to hook it up externally to the backup hyperdrive than to try and enlarge the connection so as to plug the relays directly into the backup.

Wanted Poster
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roth nods. "I understand that, sir. However, it will be an exercise in patience, among other things. It will teach craftsmanship, and taking due pride in one's work, just as the creation of a lightsaber does." He shrugs. "Sure, forging a sword may take longer than a lightsaber, but sometimes it is better to return to basics. It sometimes puts everything else into perspective."

He squares his shoulders. "I would be honored if you would teach me how to forge Jedi swords. You may be only able to show me how to do the katana. That is fine; I will gladly learn whatever you can teach me.

"As for wanting to be proficient in all weapons, I know that I will only ever MASTER a few, as it should be. Too many would take too much time from studying the Force, and interacting with those around me. But I want to condition myself so that regardless of what is around me, I can use it-even at a basic level- as a weapon, whether it was designed as such or not."
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Designation Giric Gynn of the Yegoglar accepted. Assesment indicates many relays require total rebuilds. Commencing process now."

Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Roth nods. "I understand that, sir. However, it will be an exercise in patience, among other things. It will teach craftsmanship, and taking due pride in one's work, just as the creation of a lightsaber does." He shrugs. "Sure, forging a sword may take longer than a lightsaber, but sometimes it is better to return to basics. It sometimes puts everything else into perspective."

He squares his shoulders. "I would be honored if you would teach me how to forge Jedi swords. You may be only able to show me how to do the katana. That is fine; I will gladly learn whatever you can teach me.

"As for wanting to be proficient in all weapons, I know that I will only ever MASTER a few, as it should be. Too many would take too much time from studying the Force, and interacting with those around me. But I want to condition myself so that regardless of what is around me, I can use it-even at a basic level- as a weapon, whether it was designed as such or not."

"Pride? That is an emotion one must be careful with. Even Jedi Masters can forget this. Even I forget it. It is one thing to be proud of one's students or some accomplishment one manages to make. Such as forging a weapon like a Jedi sword or a lightsaber. But one must not be too prideful of one's accomplishments or their students.

"At it's worse pride is the feeling that one is better than those around them, either overall or at a particular type of task. Pride can lead to vanity. Vanity can lead to both jealousy that someone could be as good as you or better and anger that someone could be as good as you or better. Jealousy and anger lead to hate. Hate leads to violence. Violence leads to the dark side."

Roth has heard it many times before, how one emotion leads to another and another until someone falls. But he's never heard it from Cailum. And as Cailum says it he feels a familar chill settling into his bones, a chill that seems to be intensified by knowing what kind of a Jedi Cailum is. Even the look on the master's face seems to be sucking all warmth out of the room. Only his eyes remain warm, and it's a contrast that seems to both calm Roth and etch his words deep into his brain. Then the warmth once more spreads to his face.

"And what makes you think I can only forge Jedi katanas? First you must learn to make a crude sword out of metal bars or sheets. It is little more than putting a sharp edge on flattened metal, not actually forging the metal into a sword. Then you learn to forge a simple but crude sword, it will be much weaker than a better forged sword but more of a sword than the crude one you first make. And then you learn to forge a basic sword, something that has no elegance at all but is stronger than the crude sword and is better to use. From there you learn to forge more elegant swords that are a bit more complicated. This is when you pick the type of Jedi sword you most desire to use."

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Element of Fire - Hellcat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131  Next
Page 127 of 131

Jump to: