The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Time between Episodes 4, 5, 6?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Time between Episodes 4, 5, 6?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omega_Leader
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Time between Episodes 4, 5, 6? Reply with quote

How much time passed between these episodes?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think about 3 years, at most.
Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About three years between Ep 4 and Ep 5, and some number of months between 5 and 6, in which Luke learned a few new tricks and the Rebellion could recoup after the disaster at Hoth.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, roughly 3 years between IV and V and 1 year between V and VI.
Omega_Leader
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help on that. As I've mentioned in other places, I'm just getting back into SW d6 and I'm really interested in putting together a play-by-post adventure or two that take place during the time covered in E4-E6. Of course, I'm also interested in playing, so if anyone has room in their p-b-p game...

Thanks again.
Exoviper
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering, how much time passed during Episode 3? We see characters leaving Coruscant and landing on Mustafar (which is near the Outer Rim) as if the trip only took mere hours. I thought it took days/weeks to reach the outer rim. Or how about when Bail Organa leaves Coruscant and returns just in time to catch Palpatine's address to the Senate about his attempted assasination ( which I would assume would happen very soon, like "the next day" soon).

Does the RPG gauge hyperspace travel differently than what we see in the movies?
Allst Beamem
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading in a star wars insider that it was aproximatly 9 days.

And, yes, I belive that the movies do hyperspace just as a plot device. Try watching EP1 dvd with the directors comintary on. Just as the group is jumping into hyperspace for the first time JL says something to this effect.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timeline of Ep3 is all screwed up. In the movies, hyperspace takes as little as necessary, while in the RPG, it's nice to make those long trips to the outer rim.

I personally feel that Ep3 spanned a couple of months...
Darth Windu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think III spanned a week or two. I thought it was really dumb, how the Empire had officers so quickly.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gry Sarth wrote:
The timeline of Ep3 is all screwed up. In the movies, hyperspace takes as little as necessary, while in the RPG, it's nice to make those long trips to the outer rim.

I personally feel that Ep3 spanned a couple of months...

Plus, in the movies, the characters can do whatever the heck you need them to do. With the exception of Luke in EPI IV, enroute to Alderaan, you don't ever see any characters taking that down time to learn new skills or improve existing ones. In the RPGs, however, this is PRIME time to do that, because you can concentrate on skill building without having to worry about simultaneously dodging enemy fire.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi Skyler wrote:
Plus, in the movies, the characters can do whatever the heck you need them to do. With the exception of Luke in EPI IV, enroute to Alderaan, you don't ever see any characters taking that down time to learn new skills or improve existing ones. In the RPGs, however, this is PRIME time to do that, because you can concentrate on skill building without having to worry about simultaneously dodging enemy fire.

Unless you're on the Dream, then you have to constantly worry that the Hyperdrive is going to explode. Wink

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really worry about that anymore. The hyperdrive bursting into flame in mid-jump is routine now, nothing to worry about....

Last edited by Gry Sarth on Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exoviper wrote:
I was wondering, how much time passed during Episode 3? We see characters leaving Coruscant and landing on Mustafar (which is near the Outer Rim) as if the trip only took mere hours. I thought it took days/weeks to reach the outer rim. Or how about when Bail Organa leaves Coruscant and returns just in time to catch Palpatine's address to the Senate about his attempted assasination ( which I would assume would happen very soon, like "the next day" soon).

Does the RPG gauge hyperspace travel differently than what we see in the movies?

Sometimes. For example:
-In TPM, Darth Maul makes a jump from Coruscant to Tatooine; the direct jump would take 22 1/2 days according to the astrogation rules in Second - well over 13 Standard weeks in Maul's x3-equipped Sith Interceptor. However, jumping Coruscant-Corellia-Tatooine would take 8 hours, or 1 day in the Maul Hauler; this is more or less what we observe in the movie.
-Assuredly, the Tatooine-Geonosis jump, right alongside the Corellian run and of mere parsecs, took minutes in the Padmeboat III.

The more interesting difficulty is in ANH, where the standard jump from Alderaan to Yavin may be estimated at 12 hours; the Falcon can make that in 6, the Death Star in 36, yet we do not observe the heroes having anywhere near a 30-hour lead time. (Of course, we may assume that the Death Star has supremely masterful Astrogators - the ISD Avenger, which tracked down Tantive IV, did, and the DS is that much cooler. With a +30 to the difficulty, the Death Star could plot a course that could more or less keep up with the Falcon.)

Of course, that argument relies on fudging the RPG rules to fit observations in the movie. But, then, hyperdrive tech is considered miraculous, so we can just dismiss it as something that SW characters all know works, know how to build and fix, but we don't know exactly what happens when it works. Razz
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, even in Star Wars, mainly in the EU and RPG, it is mentioned that hyperdrive is not fully understood.

The only race to fully understand it, the ones that invented it, the Grell, are a nearly dead race and the few remaining members cannot fully explain what of they know to most living minds. It is just something most living things cannot comprehend.
to finance my 'vette!
Neo-Paladin
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when pressed I feed the players something vague about the strangeness of hyper-spacial geometry, and in the end it takes 'long enough' to get from point A to point B. Rolling Eyes
I feed them an ETA as they make the jump, and I don't let them push me too far beyond that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: