The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My HR for handling new skills and starting FS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> My HR for handling new skills and starting FS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: My HR for handling new skills and starting FS Reply with quote

I came up with a couple of house rules that seem to be working pretty well. One of my players wanted to have a Force-sensitive pilot, but he figured we could develop the Force connection later. I figured that I'd give him the option of starting with 1D of Sense, since I figured that would be the likeliest Force skill to get without training. He ended up declining, but I like the rule.

I also came up with a rule wherein when a character successfully uses a skill in an adventure that they don't already have, say, they get in a melee combat and they have to use base Dex, I declared that they can use the Character Points awarded that session to improve that skill by one pip for one CP. After that one pip, the regular CP cost applies. I figured this would make sense because what better way to learn a skill than by being forced to use it and succeeding.
Boomer
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. You'd have people smashing themselves trying to learn new things in game, too. A bit realistic, if applied properly.
to finance my 'vette!
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I figured it'd be a good way to show development, and since they only get the first pip at the CP discount, I figured it wouldn't unbalance the game.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the force side, just cause he was sensitive, does not automatically grant him force powers or skills. Which it seems you have made the assumption of..
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the force side, just cause he was sensitive, does not automatically grant him force powers or skills. Which it seems you have made the assumption of..

Nah, I didn't assume he would automatically have powers, but I was willing to surmise that a low level of Sense ability may have developed without training. I just offered the skill, no actual Force powers, after all.

There's examples of this in ROTJ, when Leia is able to know that Luke is still alive after the Death Star blows up. She has no training, but is showing a definite Sense ability.

In game terms, I figured letting him start with a little bit of skill would help offset the fact that he has to be more careful in his actions, due to the higher risk of gaining Dark Side points. He ended up not going for it, but I figure the option is fair.
Sandokiri
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masque wrote:
Quote:

Nah, I didn't assume he would automatically have powers, but I was willing to surmise that a low level of Sense ability may have developed without training. I just offered the skill, no actual Force powers, after all.

There's examples of this in ROTJ, when Leia is able to know that Luke is still alive after the Death Star blows up. She has no training, but is showing a definite Sense ability.

In game terms, I figured letting him start with a little bit of skill would help offset the fact that he has to be more careful in his actions, due to the higher risk of gaining Dark Side points. He ended up not going for it, but I figure the option is fair.

It can also be argued that force-sensitivity itself can provide that "low-level Sense ability" without any dice in Sense. Keep in mind that before Luke went off for his little shindig with Vader and Palpaprune, he made Leia aware of her latent Force-sensitivity, and her familial connection with her brother (as well as the omnipotent Skywalker blood Razz ) allowed her to "know" that Luke survived. Then again, maybe daddy told her subconsciously. Smile
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only problem with low-level Sense without the 1D is how to use it in the game mechanically. Basically it boils down to the fact that I think I can do some interesting things story-wise with a character that has some Sense ability, although it's not a campaign neally suitable for full fledged Jedi.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you give that 1d to anyone forec sensitive??? Seems too much of a boost to me, over non force sensitives... not only do you get the bonus FP and unlimited fp storage (compared to 5 for NFS) but now you get a free D in a force power...
masque
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh. Now it makes sense. I only gave him 1 FP to start with, like everyone else, which is why I figured the 1D of Sense would balance out the ethical burden of being Force Sensitive. I had forgotten about the 2 Force Points since no one else was Force Sensitive. You're right, 2FP and 1D in Sense is a bit much. Since he turned it down, I actually owe him a Force Point. Laughing

Serves me right for not having played the game for the last 10 years. Back to the rules to see if there's any other rules I'm screwing up on.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of tutorial service...

That will be $14.95 plus tax Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: